Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Beaver River
Hit the Beav on the way home from down south.  Minersville was low with several tubers and shore fishers along the dam.
The river below was low, I mean really low, like not many places for fish to live low.  The SNITS were stacked up in what pools existed and they were easy to catch.
Some bigger fish were seen but with the low clear water they were seen as they were scattering.
It has the makns of a very tough year for our finned friends.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I am afraid so.  Not one of the peaks that can be seen from I-15 had anywhere near the snow expected left on their peaks.  Going to be a low water year for sure and I fear many of our finned friends will perish. Sad
I live here and it's not looking good. All the farmers, ranchers, and fishermen are extremely concerned about the snow pack, lack of water, and the possibly disastrous future in terms of drought and all that goes with it.
(04-23-2021, 03:34 PM)Chi Big Sky Wrote: I live here and it's not looking good. All the farmers, ranchers, and fishermen are extremely concerned about the snow pack, lack of water, and the possibly disastrous future in terms of drought and all that goes with it.

The Alfalfa Project, which uses subsurface drip irrigation (technology) and precision crop management techniques (procedural/process change) to dramatically reduce irrigation water consumption by 47%, while increasing crop yields by 77%.

This method among others are being used a lot in California and Arizona. They really work, but the start up cost are high, Although their  are grants to help the farmers out. One of the fishing oranzations should use some of their hi priced lawyers to work with the farmers to get some of these grants in exchange for some more water for the reserve pool. Instead of suing some poor farmer for the so called right to trespass on some ankle deep seep.

The air is so dry in that area that a lot of the time when you go to make a sandwich the bread will feel like toast before you take the first bite. Everybody’s hands are cracked and bleeding. Those big tall pivots that are 20 feet off the ground,,, often times half of that water is lost to evaporations.
(04-24-2021, 03:56 AM)castnshoot Wrote: The Alfalfa Project, which uses subsurface drip irrigation (technology) and precision crop management techniques (procedural/process change) to dramatically reduce irrigation water consumption by 47%, while increasing crop yields by 77%
I started using drip irrigation about 5 years ago now for my garden and it was amazing how well it worked. There was that startup investment  but the lack of weeds, I had to deal with, more than made up for it. I would imagine it would be different for alfalfa but it sounds like it would be money well spent in the long run.