Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SH this weekend
I often complain about the wind we seem to have constantly now in Hurricane, but it sure gets those greebacks going...and most importantly, keeps the Little Valley Power Squadron off the lake! Had the lake to myself the other evening, wind was at a constant 30-40 mph out of the South. Throwing the usual SBs and CBs with the usual success. Water temps around 58. Caught my new greenback PB for 2021...she was a beaut, and fought like the dickens! Most fish came in 10' of water or so, slow rolling. mid 90's forecasted for this weekend, so it'll be time to venture into the flooded vegetation. Despite the wind, love living 5 min from such an amazing bass fishery! 

[Image: Screenshot-20210425-220612-Pics-Art.jpg]

[Image: Screenshot-20210425-200511-Video-Editor.jpg]

[Image: 20210425-184205.jpg]

[Image: 20210425-181924.jpg]

free image hosting
Great fish and I admire your success. I've never fished SH, but hope to someday remedy that soon.
I hope to fish it soon,too. I'm sitting here in Hurricane watching it rain out of my hotel room window. Forecast said it would quit by dawn. Didn't. And won't for a few more hours. Sigh...
(04-27-2021, 01:02 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I hope to fish it soon,too. I'm sitting here in Hurricane watching it rain out of my hotel room window. Forecast said it would quit by dawn. Didn't. And won't for a few more hours. Sigh...

The best time to fish SH is in the wind and rain, so long as you've got an adequate boat to do it safely. My best days ever out there have been in those conditions, and as I've said before....keeps the power squadron off the lake, usually have it all to yourself! Bonus!

(04-26-2021, 08:15 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Great fish and I admire your success. I've never fished SH, but hope to someday remedy that soon.

If you ever plan on making down, hit me up...I can give you some local advice to ensure you get into them. Although, it is hard to NOT catch fish at SH, lol. It's an amazing bass & bluegill fishery (plus some monster crappies).
I ran down there this last week from Cedar City and caught a few nice ones on the fly near flooded brush. I've realized that all I really know about bass fishing is that they like structure haha, and I have a hard time knowing where to blind fish for them (I could see all the ones I caught). How do you know where to fish em?
(04-27-2021, 08:18 PM)richyd4u Wrote:
(04-27-2021, 01:02 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I hope to fish it soon,too. I'm sitting here in Hurricane watching it rain out of my hotel room window. Forecast said it would quit by dawn. Didn't. And won't for a few more hours. Sigh...

The best time to fish SH is in the wind and rain, so long as you've got an adequate boat to do it safely. My best days ever out there have been in those conditions, and as I've said before....keeps the power squadron off the lake, usually have it all to yourself! Bonus!

(04-26-2021, 08:15 PM)Big Sky Wrote: Great fish and I admire your success. I've never fished SH, but hope to someday remedy that soon.

If you ever plan on making down, hit me up...I can give you some local advice to ensure you get into them. Although, it is hard to NOT catch fish at SH, lol. It's an amazing bass & bluegill fishery (plus some monster crappies).

I might take you up on that. I'm only a couple hours from there and I really want to try it soon.
I fished it all day Tuesday, starting in the rain and ending in the wind. Was able to thoroughly "baptize" my boat - made the first fishing cast from it and caught the first fish. After that, it was one 2.5-lber after another with the occasional 1.5 and one beautiful 4+ lber. Drop shot with a curly tail grub caught the most, but the big one came on a white chatterbait, slow-rolled along the dam in 30 ft. Nothing in the shallows, probably due to the cold front. Couldn't find an crappie either, but I didn't really look all that long. Was going to do that this morning, but when I got to the lake it was blowing whitecaps and I declined to launch.

It's a beautiful bass lake, and I will go back. (BTW, the brand new Sleep Inn five miles from the lake is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. Lonny's BBQ and the Pig's Ear are great places to eat, too.)

Pictures to come when I find my camera...
(04-28-2021, 08:39 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I fished it all day Tuesday, starting in the rain and ending in the wind. Was able to thoroughly "baptize" my boat - made the first fishing cast from it and caught the first fish. After that, it was one 2.5-lber after another with the occasional 1.5 and one beautiful 4+ lber. Drop shot with a curly tail grub caught the most, but the big one came on a white chatterbait, slow-rolled along the dam in 30 ft. Nothing in the shallows, probably due to the cold front. Couldn't find an crappie either, but I didn't really look all that long. Was going to do that this morning, but when I got to the lake it was blowing whitecaps and I declined to launch.

It's a beautiful bass lake, and I will go back. (BTW, the brand new Sleep Inn five miles from the lake is one of the nicest places I've ever stayed. Lonny's BBQ and the Pig's Ear are great places to eat, too.)

Pictures to come when I find my camera...

Nice! I was there Tues evening as well and it was brutal conditions. The fish were biting, but the wind was so swift that it was hard to stay on them. I was also there Mon evening, and it was perfect...little wind and fish on every cast! I've caught most of my bigger females this year in about 15-20' of water. All the cold fronts have made them settle in that range. They'll move up with this warm weather coming.

We love our Lonny Boys! Great BBQ! We have so many new hotels popping up all over town, big business with the Zions crowd coming through. I figure this weekend with mid 90's forecasted, that many bucks will be venturing shallow...hope to get into some.
So you guys that fish there a lot, how is the first week or two of June on that lake? I will finally get some free time to head down there, but it won't be until then.