Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Big Blue 3-11-2020
The 3rd trip turned out to be the charm. Finally got a day on Bear Lake without it being frigidly cold & ice capped. It was about 28° at sunrise. Met up with a friend that came down from Idaho Falls to start our spring run on the Big Blue. When I launch it was noted that lake water levels were up at the ramp. At sunrise we started out heading to the rockpile. There were small chunks of ice still floating about but nothing to deter a high speed run. Water temp very cold still 36°. Once Big Red popped up over the mountain all frost quickly disapated and warmth continued to add to soothing the aches in the joints created by cooler temps. From sunrise till 4pm we fished mainly the rockpile area trolling. At around noon we decided to relocate to checkout the Cisco Beach run. There was a very thin broken down ice field floating in the area making it unfavorable for trolling so the boat ride back to the rockpile was just as nice as it was going over Cisco, calm & smooth. We couldn't have asked for a better day to enjoy. Our catch for the day ended with 4 cutts to the boat, 3 native cutts with 1 5lber gorged to the gills with cisco and 1 smaller keeper.
When I was at the ramp during sunrise I was taking a couple of pics and when I parked my vehicle my digital camera fell out of my coat pocket on the pavement. When I turned it on it flashed a message saying zoom error, UUGGGHHHH!!!! After checking it out more in depth I found zoom no longer works and can't select flash.
[Image: P3110005.jpg] [Image: P3110008.jpg] [Image: P3110014.jpg] [Image: P3110013.jpg] [Image: P3110020.jpg]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
I can appreciate wanting to get back to boat fishing.  But I'm in no hurry to do it if I still have to wear my insulated ice fishing suit to do it.    Big Grin   I'll be ready to go when I get back from a turkey/pig hunt in Texas on the 12th of April.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Glad the weather and ice cooperated for you on the trip Roger, lake looks great and you guys got some fish, well done
(03-13-2020, 01:36 PM)dubob Wrote: I can appreciate wanting to get back to boat fishing.  But I'm in no hurry to do it if I still have to wear my insulated ice fishing suit to do it.    Big Grin  

No ice fishing apparell here, temps warmed up to low 40's where I had to peel of the jacket. My boat has a complete enclosure with heat. When sun comes up I'm able to shut off heater. We were comfortable all day, I keep a digital gage in my boat courtesy of medical HMO. Cool

[Image: P3110021.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(03-13-2020, 02:45 PM)Bduck Wrote: No ice fishing apparell here, temps warmed up to low 40's where I had to peel of the jacket. 

Big Grin   At my age, I look for 50*F launch temps and 60*F and above for boat fishing.  I have full inclosure as well on my ThunderJet but have never used it in COLD weather with a heater ( I have a Big Buddy Mr Heater as well - just have never used it boat fishing).
Bob Hicks, from Utah
looks and sounds like you guys had a good day.
Plan to give it try today and tomorrow. What did you have your best luck with trolling? I'll report back after our trip.
Yeah Dubob, Amazing heater does a good job keeping inside warm when needed. We might be a slight younger but the ailments are still there that effects us. The temp reading was from the sun doing its thing without the heater. I shut it off very early. We had hot meals to eat too, home made breakfast burritos and smoked pull pork sandwiches. As the pork was heating up I was leaving that scent trail that the other boaters were wondering where it was coming from. Big Grin
ffnut we used a J13 black back Rapala for 3 catches, the 4th was a J13 rainbow Rapala trolling at depths of 40-50'. But as with the Bear have your arsenal ready to throw as it changes all of the timeWith this wind today will probably shore what ice is floating around. Next few days will be windy as well. Next trip will be after ISE.
Harrisville UT
Thanks for the update. I fished it this afternoon and we caught 4 cutthroats, largest being 4.6 lbs and 21.5" and the others were 17-19". We caught one on clown reef runner and the other three were on white flatfish. We were fishing around the rock pile and I donated a cannonball on the rock pile  Sad .

Thanks for the update. I fished it this afternoon and we caught 4 cutthroats, largest being 4.6 lbs and 21.5" and the others were 17-19". We caught one on clown reef runner and the other three were on white flatfish. We were fishing around the rock pile and I donated a cannonball on the rock pile  Sad .
A good day at the Bear fly_fishing_nut. My donation Wednesday to the rockpile was 2 J13 rapala lures. In the past BL also owns 2 of my cannon ball weights, one at the pile and one at cisco. I became a fan of the stick weights, never had one to hang up on bottom.
Harrisville UT
Wiperslayer and I got up there yesterday morning, stayed out until 1pm, we picked up 4 as well but one of them was a cisco. Caught it while jigging. We were planning on going up on Thurs but the wind report did not look good, from you pics, I guess they were wrong. We jigged in the morning and after a few hours we started trolling after we noticed some fish were zooming up off the bottom for our higher jigs. Nothing big for us. [Image: Curts-BL-cutt-3-13-20.jpg]
(03-14-2020, 02:13 PM)Bduck Wrote: A good day at the Bear fly_fishing_nut. My donation Wednesday to the rockpile was 2 J13 rapala lures. In the past BL also owns 2 of my cannon ball weights, one at the pile and one at cisco. I became a fan of the stick weights, never had one to hang up on bottom.

Thanks for the idea on the stick weights. I'm new to trolling and didn't know they existed. I'm going to have to get some.
(03-14-2020, 02:13 PM)Bduck Wrote: In the past BL also owns 2 of my cannon ball weights, one at the pile and one at cisco. I became a fan of the stick weights, never had one to hang up on bottom.

Okay, you have my undivided attention.  I've never heard of, or seen, 'stick weights'.  I had to look them up on the web.  Found some made from 100% stainless steel and some made from reclaimed lead.  The SS are cheaper.  So, inquiring minds want to know - what do you have, how long have you used them, how do they compare to pancake weights on blow back?  Come on - don't hold back on the details.   Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
dubob pid= Wrote:
Bduck pid= Wrote:In the past BL also owns 2 of my cannon ball weights, one at the pile and one at cisco. I became a fan of the stick weights, never had one to hang up on bottom.

Okay, you have my undivided attention.  I've never heard of, or seen, 'stick weights'.  I had to look them up on the web.  Found some made from 100% stainless steel and some made from reclaimed lead.  The SS are cheaper.  So, inquiring minds want to know - what do you have, how long have you used them, how do they compare to pancake weights on blow back?  Come on - don't hold back on the details.   Big Grin
I've used them for about 6 years when fishing deep or close to the bottom, #8 and #14 rebar is what I've got (round stock is also an option) scrap from a rebar/steel supply company, weld a small chain link to the top, length and size of bar will determine weight (get it cut at supply company, it's a bear to cut through lol) I don't think the blow back is as bad but the big differences are they they don't "swim" when deeper then 60' ( in Monterey Bay we would be chasing salmon down 300') so getting opposite side riggers tangled is about eliminated (big problem with the pancakes) they also have a "smaller" profile on the sonar

[Image: 75733-F98-EFBC-4985-857-C-4-DCC5306-A423.png]
These are my stick weights which I've been using them about 6yrs also. Great for dragging near bottom for those lurking in laziness. There are some who make them using galvanize pipe with threaded ends which we have the availabilty at Home Depot & Lowes. Pouring lead to fill for the weight. You can do same with SS pipe. As Alan has mentioned rebar is another method.
[Image: P3160002.jpg]
Pipe 1 1/2" dia X 14" L
Harrisville UT
Are those commercial stainless steel or home made?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
dubob, all I know is they were made by another fisherman that was on another forum, not sure of quality of SS but are home made. With what he was making is good workmanship but also has the background and equipment for it. He has done many different projects for his boat. He goes by Dragonfly in which you should know him also. He hasn't posted since 2015 and not sure if he's available. I know some guys have requested some of his sticks but never heard back. PM sent
Harrisville UT
What is the weight of your individual sticks?  I use 10 lb pancakes currently.  Can I get by with a lesser weight stick?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
Sorry about not mentioning weight but those are 8lbers i have for those dimensions.
Harrisville UT
(03-16-2020, 11:08 PM)Bduck Wrote: Sorry about not mentioning weight but those are 8lbers i have for those dimensions.

Thank you Sir.  I found a Mfg of SS Sticks: Bottom Line Tackle.  They sell 6, 8, 10, 12, & 15 pounders and will custom make 20 lb or heavier.  The stand weights range $36 to $60.  I tried to order a pair of 8s today, but payment was by PayPal only and I don't do PayPal for political reasons.  the cost would be $47.18 each delivered.  I sent them an email asking for options on payment.  We'll see. 

I also found some 8 lb lead sticks on Amazon (
The Tackle Room Deep Drop Weights) for about $6 cheaper at $42 and change.  These aren't Amazon Prime eligible.

I'll get a pair of the sticks and run them on 2 DRs with my pancakes on the other 2 DRs and compare the performance.
Bob Hicks, from Utah