Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lindon Interlude 4-7-20
Figured there would be a few fellow BFTers launching at Lincoln Beach.  In the interest of social distancing I decided to dunk my tube at Lindon.  Launched about 7ish to scattered clouds and light breezes.  Air temp 48 and water temp 50...warming to almost 52 by noon departure. 

Almost got run over by a fast-moving beaver just as I was leaving the harbor.  Almost too close for social distancing.  But the fish were much better at it.  Didn't get a sniff for the first two hours.  Worked a large area off the mouth of Battle Creek without seeing much on sonar...and even less on my line.  Motored down toward the bubbleup.  Could see they had the buoys in place.  Hoped to find at least some white bass and maybe a walleye.  Still nada, zip, zilch niente by nine am.

Started back toward the harbor slowly...allowing the building southerly breeze to move me along at just about the right speed.  WHAM!  The rod with a carp meat baited flig took a dive.  Big whoop!  A bullhead.  Wow!  Almost doesn't count as skunk repellent.

But then it got better.  The kitties came out to play.  Ended up catching 6 or 7 before I bagged it before noon.  Got one on a whole chub minnow and others on fligs with chub, carp and white bass meat.  Most were in the early 20 inch range but got one that was just over 25" and another just over 26".  I covered depths from about 4' out to over 8'.  almost all hits came between 5-7 feet.  Didn't see much on sonar but evidently they came in from the side to the call of the scent from my delicious bait offerings.

With all the people being out of work (or goofing off) there were quite a few folks at Lindon today.  Several boats went out.  Mostly larger play boats...not fishermen.  Several bank tanglers on the west dike.  Also saw a couple in kayaks...staying a proper distance apart for social distancing.

Wind started to pick up a couple of times but layed back down again.  It was almost glass when I headed in at noon.  Didn't see much on sonar in the harbor...with 6' of water.  And did not see any of the bank tanglers score anything besides some sunshine.

[Image: MORNING-MOONSET.jpg] [Image: DAY-BEGINNETH.jpg] [Image: CLOSE-BEAVER.jpg] [Image: FLIGGIN-BULLHEAD.jpg] [Image: UNDERBITE.jpg] [Image: TODAY-S-AVERAGE.jpg] [Image: 25-IN-PLUS.jpg] [Image: 26-IN-PLUS.jpg]
[Image: NUCLEAR-TIMP.jpg] [Image: SOCIAL-DISTANCING.jpg]  image upload
Glad you got out and caught a few..
Well at least those cats cant read about social distancing from you, suprised those WB wasn't hanging around those areas, I have only cought a couple each time, not sure where they are hiding,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(04-08-2020, 01:09 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Well at least those cats cant read about social distancing from you, suprised those WB wasn't hanging around those areas, I have only cought a couple each time, not sure where they are hiding,

There are still a lot of white bass in Utah Lake.  But they have been a bit less abundant the past 4 or 5 years.  When you find a school you would never suspect their numbers were lower...and some folks are still heavily harvesting.  No problem.  But with fewer schools more widely dispersed it is more difficult to really get into them.  With water temps going over 50 the whities will start bunching up for the spring fling.  That will tell the tale.  Last year there were fewer wide open bite reports and I suspect it will be the same this year.  You and I can both remember times when you couldn't keep white bass off your walleye jigs or catfish baits anywhere on the lake.

Catfish don't know nuttin' about social distancing.  All they care about is eating.  But when I gotta bring one into my tube to get my flig back I give them a little lecture before giving them a smooch and releasing them.  But no Tongue.
(04-08-2020, 02:40 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Catfish don't know nuttin' about social distancing.  All they care about is eating.  But when I gotta bring one into my tube to get my flig back I give them a little lecture before giving them a smooch and releasing them.  But no Tongue.
Ya those cats arent to picky on who or what they eat, had one last weekend thought on of your pretty jigs was for them, silly kittys, ya the wb are starting to show up a pit more lately, bad part is some times they hit like a eye but come up out of the water when I set and reel to keep the hood set in what is supost to be a big girl,
               O.C.F.D.
(04-08-2020, 03:32 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:
(04-08-2020, 02:40 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Catfish don't know nuttin' about social distancing.  All they care about is eating.  But when I gotta bring one into my tube to get my flig back I give them a little lecture before giving them a smooch and releasing them.  But no Tongue.

Ya those cats arent to picky on who or what they eat, had one last weekend thought on of your pretty jigs was for them, silly kittys, ya the wb are starting to show up a pit more lately, bad part is some times they hit like a eye but come up out of the water when I set and reel to keep the hood set in what is supost to be a big girl,
White bass can be a serious pain when they are plentiful and you are targeting the toothy fishies.  But at least they serve to provide temporary adrenaline rushes and keep your strike reflexes sharp.  It is kinda funny to see a six inch whitie launched into the air after it managed to chomp the hook on a 5" plastic.  And, as we both know, a feisty whitie often hits harder than a big old cagy walleye.
(04-08-2020, 04:09 PM)TubeDude Wrote: as we both know, a feisty whitie often hits harder than a big old cagy walleye.
Yes they do, those little buggers
               O.C.F.D.
Glad yo got out Pat. Im shooting for next week early. Most likely Lindon or the knolls. How you loking the ugly stick?
(04-08-2020, 08:31 PM)lee! Wrote: Glad yo got out Pat. Im shooting for next week early. Most likely Lindon or the knolls. How you loking the ugly stick?

I think the Knolls is my next target.  If the wind ever dies down enough.  Stay in touch.

Liking the Cat Rod so far.  A good replacement for the one I donated at the Knolls last fall.  The handle was too long for float tube fishing but I know a guy that cut it back a few inches and now it's just right.

[Image: CAT-ROD.jpg]
Pat I wish I knew you were fishing there yesterday. I was out there yesterday too. You did much better than we did though
(04-08-2020, 09:15 PM)jbob81 Wrote: Pat I wish I knew you were fishing there yesterday. I was out there yesterday too. You did much better than we did though
Were you in  a boat?  And where were you fishing?

As I mentioned in the report, I started off fishing out off Battle Creek...where I almost always do well early in the year.  But I couldn't see anything on sonar and didn't get a sniff in over an hour of moving around.  I also did not get any action around the Bubbleup...where I almost ALWAYS catch something.  And I was about halfway back to the harbor and rehearsing my excuses for a skunk when I finally started getting some action.  Also, I only found fish in a relatively small zone and once I got out of it there were no more bites. 

It's still early.  While I usually get some fish and have caught some of my biggest fish this early, next month (May) is when it gets wild and wooly...white bass, walleyes and catfish galore.  Bring it on.
will stay in touch for sure. that orange tube keeps giving me dirty looks . think it feels deserted
Hey Pat, i was at the Knolls this a.m. but did no harm to the cats. Marked lots on the Lowancce but none that were interested in what I had to offer. Caught two there then gave up and headed for the orchards. Only picked up four more there. Slow fishiin' for me. Good to see water temps top 55 so the Knolls cats should be ready for you when you make it down this way.

Lots of people at Lincoln... must have been at least 20 trailers in the lot. Lots of kayakers, families strolling the berms and pavallion. A few power squad types... one water skiing...brrrrrr. Ben and Craig were out again today so watch for them to be posting up some big ones. My best today was just under 27 inches.

Tomorrow is the day. Cool
Y'all did better then I did.  I have a spot kind of past the Orchards that I pestered today.  I got there late, around noon, and left around 4, but only had a couple of bump and runs.  One of them, a small one, came in close but did not like my looks so he spit it out and left me skunked.

But, I was alone.  Very peaceful today.  

Yes, Lincoln Beach was busy today.  I was going to go out there, but too many people when I got there.
TubeDude pid= Wrote:
jbob81 pid= Wrote:Pat I wish I knew you were fishing there yesterday. I was out there yesterday too. You did much better than we did though

As I mentioned in the report, I started off fishing out off Battle Creek...where I almost always do well early in the year.  But I couldn't see anything on sonar and didn't get a sniff in over an hour of moving around.  I also did not get any action around the Bubbleup...where I almost ALWAYS catch something.  And I was about halfway back to the harbor and rehearsing my excuses for a skunk when I finally started getting some action.  Also, I only found fish in a relatively small zone and once I got out of it there were no more bites. 

It's still early.  While I usually get some fish and have caught some of my biggest fish this early, next month (May) is when it gets wild and wooly...white bass, walleyes and catfish galore.  Bring it on.
Yes I have an older Forester boat. White with blue/green on the sides. I think I was there a little later than you though. Tried to get out again this evening but it was pretty wild out there. Ended up fishing from the boat in our Pelican Bay Marina. Marked a bunch of fish in there but nobody wanted to play. Still fun to get out
(04-09-2020, 03:48 AM)jbob81 Wrote:
TubeDude pid= Wrote:
jbob81 pid= Wrote:Pat I wish I knew you were fishing there yesterday. I was out there yesterday too. You did much better than we did though

Yes I have an older Forester boat. White with blue/green on the sides. I think I was there a little later than you though. Tried to get out again this evening but it was pretty wild out there. Ended up fishing from the boat in our Pelican Bay Marina. Marked a bunch of fish in there but nobody wanted to play. Still fun to get out
Well, if you got on the lake after I left that is a perfect example of social distancing.  Seeing fish that won't bite is the single biggest downer for having sonar.  Better to fail in ignorance than to have your failure rubbed in your face.

By the way, how are you coming on maybe making some of your own fligs.  Check out this new red hooked gorilla flig with a Smile blade on the front.  Caught my two biggest cats on it Tuesday.

[Image: SMILEY-FLIG.jpg]
Thanks for the report and pictures! I am really enjoying the wait until I can get on the water again. Well, at leat I'm glad your are getting out that those big FLIGs are doing the trick. One more week and I can get my first trip skunk out of the way for this year.
(04-09-2020, 06:06 PM)Piscophilic Wrote: Thanks for the report and pictures! I am really enjoying the wait until I can get on the water again. Well, at leat I'm glad your are getting out that those big FLIGs are doing the trick. One more week and I can get my first trip skunk out of the way for this year.

It will be good to have you chipping in for the south contingent.  Even better to hear you are healthy again.

You have to be more positive about your first trip.  Be POSITIVE you are going to get skunked.  Seriously, with the water warming and the fish getting more active you should be able to look forward to bent rods and stretched string.  Go for it.