Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
advice, TubeDude
TubeDude, About a year or so ago I bought half dozen of your large fliges, I need info on using them, rigging, do you use them when drift fishing. I'm a bank fisherman but my son offered a trip on his boat to Utah Lake on Saturday 5/1. I'm not going to ask for honey holes but a few places to drift and maybe water depth.
(04-28-2021, 02:29 AM)gripy1111 Wrote: TubeDude, About a year or so ago I bought half dozen of your large fliges, I need info on using them, rigging, do you use them when drift fishing. I'm a bank fisherman but my son offered a trip on his boat to Utah Lake on Saturday 5/1. I'm not going to ask for honey holes but a few places to drift and maybe water depth.
I am attaching my piece on fishing fligs...in two parts so I can post it here.  There are rigging diagrams included.  But it is a very flexible thing...based upon your preferences...and of course, the fish preferences.  And it sometimes takes some experimentation.

I use them from my tube.  Sometimes I just let one trail out the back while I kick along...start and stop...while pitching plastics or other lures on the other rod.  Sometimes I fish two flig rigs and just keep up a slow steady kick to keep them moving.  However, I get lots of hits while I am not moving at all.  And I know a couple of guys who fish them from shore by just casting out and letting them sit.  The colorful bodies keep the bait floating above the bottom and the scent of the bait brings in fish and seals the deal.

There are other fliggers that drag them around at about .5 mph or faster.  If you do that, you need enough weight to keep them down and a longer leader to keep them more up off the bottom.  Using a 3-way sinker rig works well for "bottom bouncing" or slow trolling.  A footlong piece of lighter leader from the swivel to the sinker...and about 2 feet of leader from the swivel to the flig.

Use a big enough piece of bait to attract the fish but not so big that it completely covers the hook point.  With the hook point exposed, you get a high percentage of hookups on the strike.  And most of the time the hook will be in the corner of the fishes' mouths...just like with a circle hook.

The cats should be moving well by Saturday.  After a couple of warmer and calmer days you should be able to find them almost anywhere around the lake...probably in 4-5 feet of water.  But you might have to try shallower or deeper depending on where you fish and which direction the wind has been blowing.

My first shot would be in the flats off Lincoln Beach...straight out from the mouth of Benjamin Slough.  Next would be from Lincoln Point around to the L.  Should be good around both American Fork and Lindon too.  And there is almost  always some good early cattin' between Provo and Lindon.  Just keep working big S turns from shallower to deeper until you find the depths the cats are holding.  And then do the same thing to find them again if they stop hitting.  They will move in and out during the day as conditions change...especially if the water is warming in the shallows.  Good luck.

Any other questions not answered by the written stuff?

EDIT:  PS...I am going to hit Utah Lake somewhere on Friday.  I will post a report.

Attached Files
.pdf   FISHING FLIGS 2..pdf (Size: 1.3 MB / Downloads: 44)
.pdf   FISHING FLIGS 1..pdf (Size: 892.01 KB / Downloads: 28)
I can verify everything that TD said--of course I learned it all from him. I attach a 1/2 oz sinker about 12-18" above the flig when dragging. Good colors are shades of green, firetiger, and blue/silver.

Gripy, be sure to sign up for the contest and print your placard before you go.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(04-28-2021, 05:34 PM)catchinon Wrote: I can verify everything that TD said--of course I learned it all from him. I attach a 1/2 oz sinker about 12-18" above the flig when dragging. Good colors are shades of green, firetiger, and blue/silver.

I did sign up 2 weeks ago for the contest and the placard is covered in plastic and nailed to the bump board. Thanks for reminder.
(04-28-2021, 10:30 PM)gripy1111 Wrote:
(04-28-2021, 05:34 PM)catchinon Wrote: I can verify everything that TD said--of course I learned it all from him. I attach a 1/2 oz sinker about 12-18" above the flig when dragging. Good colors are shades of green, firetiger, and blue/silver.

I did sign up 2 weeks ago for the contest and the placard is covered in plastic and nailed to the bump board. Thanks for reminder.

I can confirm that. gripy1111 is on the sheet. 
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool