Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So So at Lindon 4-30-21
Figured the warming trend might get Utah Lake temps up to the 60 degree range.  Figured wrong.  Hit Lindon just before 7 am.  Air temp was a decent 45 but water temp was still only 57...warming to 59 by noon...and probably went over 60 sometime later. 
[Image: LAUNCH.jpg]

Water was still avg. 4 feet deep all the way out of the harbor.  Didn't see much fishy markings on sonar.  Water in the main lake is still pretty murky after all of the wind.  I'm sure that was why I did not get any takers on my plastics or cranks...poor visibility.

Ran a split view screen on my sonar while making big S turns from the harbor down to the bubbleup.  Had the regular sonar view plus side scan.  Went through one area that showed a few fishy marks but most of the trip had a bleak screen.  Worked in and out from about 4' deep out to about 7 feet deep.   Saw the most marks between 5 and 6 feet.  And that is where I caught most of my fish today.

Worked over the pipe at the bubbleup pretty good with plastics and cranks.  Nary a sniff...and only a few small fish suspended at mid depth anywhere along the pipe.  Wind and murky water, I guess.

Finally broke out the bait (LHBE chubs) and dragged one whole on a plain hook...and a half one on a whirly flig.  Bites were few and far between...and there were no cats over about 23" caught today.  No bumpers for the contest.  Caught 6 or 7 all in the same general cookie cutter size range.  Oh yeah, I got one stupid bullhead that slurped up a half minnow on a whirly flig.  But, hey...tugs is tugs.  They all put up a good tussle before crawling into the net.  And they chased the skunk away...again.
[Image: AVERAGE.jpg][Image: BREEZES.jpg][Image: BULLHEAD.jpg]

Saw a couple of boats try working the bubbleup after I left it.  They didn't stay long.  Also saw the same rowboat coming to Lindon...probably from Provo.  Somebody likes exercise I guess.  I used to do the same thing...rowing from Provo to Pelican Point and back...back in my younger (stupider) years.
[Image: ROWING.jpg]

Only a very few boats out.  None stayed anywhere very long.  And a few bank tanglers at Lindon.  None had caught anything when I asked.  Didn't seem to be much coming close to shore.

I'm reasonably sure that once the water temps start working past the 60-65 degree range...and the wind begins to behave a bit...there will be some decent fishing.  Until then...?????
Sad story Pat. I couldn't pass up the nice, calm day I have been waiting for for the past month. I hit Lincoln at 6:30 with plenty of bait for a big catch. Shot over to the Knolls and fished every depth and could not find a biter and very few -- probably carp -- marks on my finder. Back to the first spring -- same results, or no results. Moved over to BS and worked from 2 to 6 fow, same no results. Outta there by 11:00 with nary a fish or even a bite. One of very few times I have been totally skunked. I sulked all the way home.

Water temp was 55-6 degrees and the water was still muddy from all the recent winds. One more week... but then i have been saying that for the last month. It was a good day, but a fishless day. Next week.
(04-30-2021, 09:27 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Sad story Pat. I couldn't pass up the nice, calm day I have been waiting for for the past month. I hit Lincoln at 6:30 with plenty of bait for a big catch. Shot over to the Knolls and fished every depth and could not find a biter and very few -- probably carp -- marks on my finder. Back to the first spring -- same results, or no results. Moved over to BS and worked from 2 to 6 fow, same no results. Outta there by 11:00 with nary a fish or even a bite. One of very few times I have been totally skunked. I sulked all the way home.

Water temp was 55-6 degrees and the water was still muddy from all the recent winds. One more week... but then i have been saying that for the last month. It was a good day, but a fishless day. Next week.
Awww c'mon now.  I suspect you hammered them today...including a couple of yard-longs...but just didn't wanna make me feel bad.  What a guy!
Did either of you see any carp action in the shallows yet?
Thanks for all your help and advice. We'll be putting in at AF an working the east shore all the way down to Lincoln. I'll post a report on this adventure good or bad. I had it in my mind to hit the knolls but blk can't hookum I know that's waste of time.
(05-01-2021, 02:49 AM)RBL Wrote: Did either of you see any carp action in the shallows yet?
A few degrees too early for the full frolic.  But I did see a few "carp clumps" and did see a few jump and splash in close to the shoreline.  Most years the water temps are warmer by now and the carp are starting to get busy.  Been slower this year.  But in the next two weeks that will change in a hurry.
^^^ thanks
and im glad im not the only one who asks that question
and im glad the resident utarded fountain of fishing info is flowing again
(Winking bobber inserted here)
#brownfishmattertoo
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(05-01-2021, 11:30 AM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:49 AM)RBL Wrote: Did either of you see any carp action in the shallows yet?
A few degrees too early for the full frolic.  But I did see a few "carp clumps" and did see a few jump and splash in close to the shoreline.  Most years the water temps are warmer by now and the carp are starting to get busy.  Been slower this year.  But in the next two weeks that will change in a hurry.
Thank you much!
(05-01-2021, 01:02 PM)fishskibum Wrote: ^^^ thanks
and im glad im not the only one who asks that question
and im glad the resident utarded fountain of fishing info is flowing again
(Winking bobber inserted here)
#brownfishmattertoo
I appreciate your appreciation.

Question to a dedicated carpaholic...when the carp are clumped up and slurping in a "fairy ring", will they take a carefully presented fly?  I've tried lightly dropping a small jig into them before and they usually explode and scatter.
[Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg][Image: OLYMPUS-DIGITAL-CAMERA.jpg]
Thanks Pat and BLK for the update. I would have hit LB on Friday but I couldn't get a room at dog friendly Motel 6 in Lehi. I almost came down to camp at LB. Glad I waited. I will wait a week or so.
(05-01-2021, 02:38 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks Pat and BLK for the update. I would have hit LB on Friday but I couldn't get a room at dog friendly Motel 6 in Lehi. I almost came down to camp at LB. Glad I waited. I will wait a week or so.
Let us know when you are headed this way.  Will be good to see you again.  Hope the cats are all vaccinated or wearing their masks for you.

You are probably going to be disappointed.  Your fave watery cover is high and dry.  You're gonna have to find a plan B for fishing this year.  But once the fish start turning on it ain't that hard to find a few.

Not much carp activity on the south end of the lake either. A few cruisers and a carp cluster here and there but no serious love activity. I live close enough to Lincoln to monitor the carp activity as it heats up. I usually see them become active in the shallow field water along the Benjamin Slough. I'll get a post on the board as the love escalates. Dig out the bow and get ready.
(05-01-2021, 02:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:38 PM)fast_randy Wrote: Thanks Pat and BLK for the update. I would have hit LB on Friday but I couldn't get a room at dog friendly Motel 6 in Lehi. I almost came down to camp at LB. Glad I waited. I will wait a week or so.
Let us know when you are headed this way.  Will be good to see you again.  Hope the cats are all vaccinated or wearing their masks for you.

You are probably going to be disappointed.  Your fave watery cover is high and dry.  You're gonna have to find a plan B for fishing this year.  But once the fish start turning on it ain't that hard to find a few.
I got my vaccination as soon as I could. No wonder the cats aren't bitting, with them masks on. I am disappointed about not getting to fish the brush. My plan B has always been Bird. Pat, do you ever get in a boat? I would love to take you to Bird. You could see first hand how good WD works. Lol! I have some chicken marinated in it that I want to play with.
(05-01-2021, 05:38 PM)fast_randy Wrote:
(05-01-2021, 02:57 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

I got my vaccination as soon as I could. No wonder the cats aren't bitting, with them masks on. I am disappointed about not getting to fish the brush. My plan B has always been Bird. Pat, do you ever get in a boat? I would love to take you to Bird. You could see first hand how good WD works. Lol! I have some chicken marinated in it that I want to play with.
Sure Randy.  I'd get in the boat with ya...if your furry first mate doesn't mind.

WD-40.  No need for a demo.  I have seen it work already.  Used to fish with a guy (in his boat) who fished with nothing but pop gear and a worm...dosed with WD-40.  And he caught lots of fish...but not any more than I did with my own "Love Potion #9".  (Nightcrawler scent) 

Any scent that masks human odor and/or helps attract fish is better than fishing "nekkid".  Most fish are scent-oriented...especially kitties.  But I respectfully suggest there are a lot of other factors that contribute greatly to your success...or otherwise.   First and foremost, you gotta find the fish.  Ya cain't ketch 'em where they ain't.  Then you gotta serve 'em something tasty on the right kind of rig, etc.   Your level of repeated successes demonstrates that you ain't no rookie and you got the basics covered.  And if it ain't broke...don't fix it.
I am so looking forward to fishing the Mortensen way with you. Just a hook and a bobber. I will bring the red and white bobbers. Or you can use whatever you want. We have had lots of talks on this WD-40 verses other scents, and I fished for nearly 20 years with the Mortensens without it, however I am totally convinced there is something in WD-40 that Utah Lake catfish love. I have never tried it anywhere else and never thought to try it for anything but catfish. I did try some chicken and WD last year one afternoon at Bird Island. I only had one small chicken breast cut up and put in a baggie and spayed and marinated in it. I had amazing results. It was fish after fish until I ran out.
Anyway as soon as they start bitting I will meet you at LB. We can hit Bird and maybe the Knolls, I have never fished there.
(05-01-2021, 06:48 PM)fast_randy Wrote: I am so looking forward to fishing the Mortensen way with you. Just a hook and a bobber. I will bring the red and white bobbers. Or you can use whatever you want. We have had lots of talks on this WD-40 verses other scents, and I fished for nearly 20 years with the Mortensens without it, however I am totally convinced there is something in WD-40 that Utah Lake catfish love. I have never tried it anywhere else and never thought to try it for anything but catfish. I did try some chicken and WD last year one afternoon at Bird Island. I only had one small chicken breast cut up and put in a baggie and spayed and marinated in it. I had amazing results. It was fish after fish until I ran out.
Anyway as soon as they start bitting I will meet you at LB. We can hit Bird and maybe the Knolls, I have never fished there.
I'd be happy to give you a personal intro to my kitty friends at the Knolls.  Lots of options in terms of shoreline, bottom conditions, depths, etc.  Almost always some kind of pattern you can find...unless you are BLK.  And if you want we can stop at Bird Island either before or after the Knolls.  You da skipper.

By the way, I got lots of red and white bobbers.  And I know how to rig them too.  Just be sure you wait until conditions are better so we can have a fighting chance of catching something besides catfish Covid.
(05-01-2021, 03:18 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote:

Not much carp activity on the south end of the lake either. A few cruisers and a carp cluster here and there but no serious love activity. I live close enough to Lincoln to monitor the carp activity as it heats up. I usually see them become active in the shallow field water along the Benjamin Slough. I'll get a post on the board as the love escalates. Dig out the bow and get ready.
Thank you BLK I would really appreciate that. Going to take my BIL and nephews out this year.
My next door neighbor walks his dogs along the Jordan River...near the Taylorsville Park.  He said that this morning he observed some carpish activity in some of the slower spots.
Carp update:  Grandson (Catrat) fished from his yak in Goshen Bay today. He only found one catfish but noted that the carp were "going crazy" in the reeds and shallows on the south and west end of the bay. The water in all of GB is very shallow, probably three feet or less, and probably warms faster than the deeper parts of the lake. The carp in that area are a week or so ahead in their spawn mode. One more week and the entire lake will be "going crazy."
(05-01-2021, 10:40 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: Carp update:  Grandson (Catrat) fished from his yak in Goshen Bay today. He only found one catfish but noted that the carp were "going crazy" in the reeds and shallows on the south and west end of the bay. The water in all of GB is very shallow, probably three feet or less, and probably warms faster than the deeper parts of the lake. The carp in that area are a week or so ahead in their spawn mode. One more week and the entire lake will be "going crazy."
Thank you, I'll try to head down next weekend.