Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay trips 9,10,11
Willard Bay trip reports for  #9 23 April, and #10  28 April  are simple:   Wind, water temp well below 50, took home 2 skunks.    

Trip # 11, today 1 May.  Air temp at 0825 launch 59, water temp 58-59 in south marina.  Water temp struggled up to 60.5 about my departure time at 1230.   But very little to no wind, no rain.  

[Image: 025-Trip-11-1-May-21.jpg]  

Seemed the majority of the fishing boats that were out were kinda spread along a rough line east to west from feed lot to island. No power squadron until a bit later. So I kinda played follow the rest of the fleet. Slow S turn trolled from south marina east to feed lot dragging a variety of lipped and lipless cranks, some flicker shads, and some raw shrimp.  Had maybe 2 or 3 pop and drops. Saw quite a few carp broaching out in about 15 fow .   Got as far east as I wanted to go, and wind came up just slightly from the north east, so put the boat broadside to the breeze, put out 2 lines with enough weight to keep them on the bottom with nite crawlers at the end of a 2 foot leader on one line and shrimp on the other. 

Kicked back and drifted. Was so quiet and peaceful except for gentle wave motion.  Came close to dozing off a few  times. 
One of the times I sat up to look around at my location, I found a lonely floaty toy just a few yards off my bow.  Grabbed it up and deflated it. Then hung it on the south marina wildlife sign when I left. 

[Image: 026.jpg]

Not quite 2 hours on the water, and finally had a Willard cookie cutter Cat decide to swallow the worm, and hook down past her gills. Normally would have released her, but don't think she would have survived. But she did accept my invite to come home for dinner.  And she allowed me to fill my Cat Contest 3rd bracket. 

[Image: 027-Cat-1-Kept.jpg]

About 1115 the power squadron started to make their presence known.  There was one boat, so loud (a big V8 with no mufflers) when it started up in the south marina, it made me jump. And I was way out north of the feed lot towers. After that boat burned several holes in the water from the marina towards the island and then running parallel along south wall , I decided I had my dinner in the live well, and headed in. 

Oh, yea, the fish cleaning station is open and operational. Course, most every body probably already knew that.  

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Nice report, thanks. Glad you got the skunk put to bed and nice fish. Good to know the cleaning station is up.
Thanks Forest, I 'm going to start fishing Willard a little. It's only two hours from Blackfoot. I can do that in day trips. Almost all the places I fish up here in Idaho are at least an hour away.
Forest, I cant believe we have not run into each other this year. We must be pulling in as you are pulling out. Cookie wants that spring wiper pretty bad, so we will be back at another try Tues or Thur (or maybe both). Sometime the Wookie and I have got to get back to the BRBR to make another try at a big one.

I think we heard the same boat that you did. It straightened out Cookies curls.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew