Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 wiperhunter's Garden
Just got things planted this week, built a little green house with PVC and plastic over one garden box. Mostly planted seeds but I did plant a few plants as well, here are some pics.
[Image: grow-box-2021.jpg]

[Image: grow-box-kale-2021.jpg]
This is my uncovered grow box, with some kale plants.
[Image: GH-2021-cantalope.jpg]

[Image: GH-2021-watermelon.jpg]

[Image: GH-2021.jpg]
Here is the outside of the GH and inside, there are Cantaloupe and watermelon plants

[Image: strawberry-box3.jpg]

[Image: strawberry-box2-2021.jpg]

[Image: box-cucumbers.jpg]
Trying something new this year, built some strawberry boxes and one for cucumbers.
Man we are so far behind on this house that I am not sure we will get the garden in on time.. I still have to finish fixing the fence all the way around then haul out and level the dirt in the back yard (where the garden goes) from my excavations to put Cookies swim spa in. Maybe I will at least get my fruit trees planted this spring. I may have to steal strawberry's from your garden.

Cookie said if we went fishing less, we might get more yard work done. I called the cops on her. I consider that mental abuse to an elder.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice, I might have to make a few of those.
So, is that your new neighbors behind your PVC greenhouse (where you used to have your garden)?
(05-02-2021, 10:09 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: So, is that your new neighbors behind your PVC greenhouse (where you used to have your garden)?
Yes it is, bummer they are that close but nothing I can do at this point but move and I won't be doing that for a while.
(05-02-2021, 09:02 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Nice, I might have to make a few of those.
Which one, my bigger grow boxes or the smaller strawberry boxes?
The bigger grow boxes, have to see if the better half would plant something in them.
(05-02-2021, 03:02 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Man we are so far behind on this house that I am not sure we will get the garden in on time.. I still have to finish fixing the fence all the way around then haul out and level the dirt in the back yard (where the garden goes) from my excavations to put Cookies swim spa in. Maybe I will at least get my fruit trees planted this spring. I may have to steal strawberry's from your garden.

Cookie said if we went fishing less, we might get more yard work done. I called the cops on her. I consider that mental abuse to an elder.
Building these small pallet boxes are easy to build and are free other than a few screws. The bigger grow boxes were also free, made from bigger pallets but those pallets are harder to find. I get out and fish at least once a week, so it's just a matter of what your priorities are.
(05-02-2021, 10:40 PM)meancuznalfy Wrote: The bigger grow boxes, have to see if the better half would plant something in them.
If I had more room, I'd still have my garden on the ground, like I did before they built those two story condos behind my house but with limited room, I went with the raised beds. They help confine the garden into a smaller area. Of course some plants, like squash, will still run into the yard but so far it hasn't been too bad and it makes picking the garden much easier.
After my mini green house blew down for the third time I decided to rebuild it, here is my new improved model. I liked it so well I put one up on both grow boxes.
[Image: GH-1.jpg]

[Image: GH-2.jpg]
Those look nice and sturdy. Once thing you may want to add is a couple lightweight short t posts in the centers of the beds with an old tennis ball on the ends to protect the plastic just to give them a little peak so rain or even a light snow could drain off. It'd really save your plastic from the extra weight.
(05-10-2021, 05:46 PM)jjannie Wrote: Those look nice and sturdy. Once thing you may want to add is a couple lightweight short t posts in the centers of the beds with an old tennis ball on the ends to protect the plastic just to give them a little peak so rain or even a light snow could drain off. It'd really save your plastic from the extra weight.
Thanks for the idea.
Got back from Idaho yesterday, so today I uncovered my mini greenhouses and took a look. My plants looked good in Grow box #2, box #1, not as good but both boxes had a lot of weeds. Here what it looked like after I got it weeded.

[Image: grow-box-2.jpg]
watermelon, cantaloupe, zucchini and both green beans and snow peas.

[Image: grow-box-1.jpg]

yellow squash, kale and carrots
These pics were taken just a week after the last pics were taken, you can see the size difference of the plants after just one more week of being covered. With the forecast being for good weather, I decided to remove the Green House covers, hopefully we don't get any more hail.

Attached Files Image(s)

They are really coming up nicely. I hope the weather behaves if you pulled the covers.. We got some strawberry starts from JandJ and had a really nice tour of their gardens. Picked up my grapes today and a few fruit trees. Got a long week in the back yard coming, but the front yard is really perking up nice. Trying hard to put the beds back close to how mom had them planted. I can't find a few plants she had - old heritage red and white peonies, purple asters, and cinnamon ferns, Found most of the others with a few twists of my own thrown in.

Those are some beautiful irises in the one photo. If you ever get some starts off them I would love a few.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-30-2021, 01:56 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: They are really coming up nicely. I hope the weather behaves if you pulled the covers.. We got some strawberry starts from JandJ and had a really nice tour of their gardens. Picked up my grapes today and a few fruit trees. Got a long week in the back yard coming, but the front yard is really perking up nice. Trying hard to put the beds back close to how mom had them planted. I can't find a few plants she had - old heritage red and white peonies, purple asters, and cinnamon ferns, Found most of the others with a few twists of my own thrown in.

Those are some beautiful irises in the one photo. If you ever get some starts off them I would love a few.

Lance, we have tons of Irises, you can come over and get all you want, I have way too many.
(05-30-2021, 01:56 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: They are really coming up nicely. I hope the weather behaves if you pulled the covers.. We got some strawberry starts from JandJ and had a really nice tour of their gardens. Picked up my grapes today and a few fruit trees. Got a long week in the back yard coming, but the front yard is really perking up nice. Trying hard to put the beds back close to how mom had them planted. I can't find a few plants she had - old heritage red and white peonies, purple asters, and cinnamon ferns, Found most of the others with a few twists of my own thrown in.

We need to thin our iris this year, after they have bloomed. Stop by sometime soon to see the all the colors we have and when we thin ours we'll save you the ones you want. And if you're interested in orange daylilies we can give some of those as well.

Curt, those plants really took off, think they liked that GH effect you created when you tented them.
(05-30-2021, 04:54 PM)jjannie Wrote:

We need to thin our iris this year, after they have bloomed. Stop by sometime soon to see the all the colors we have and when we thin ours we'll save you the ones you want. And if you're interested in orange daylilies we can give some of those as well.

Curt,  those plants really took off, think they liked that GH effect you created when you tented them.

Yes they do but they kind of went into shock when I took the GH off, they will be OK but they wilted pretty good.
Here are my Garden Box pics for today, about two weeks from the last time I took them, amazing how much they have grown in those two weeks. My yellow squash have started to bloom. in box #!, box #2, I think next year I'll need to plant less in it.

[Image: GB-1-June-13-21.jpg]

[Image: GB-2-June-13-21.jpg]

image hosting free
just got in from giving the gardens a second watering for today. These Aug temps in June are going to be killers to the gardens this year. Your plants of course are way ahead of ours. It was 44 here last night and with hot daytime temps stuff dries out so fast and I know the roots are not fully developed so they don't run very deep yet.