Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
A Lincoln report
I went out to Mulberry yesterday to try for a couple of white bass for todays cat trip. Good to see the pair of ospreys have taken up residency again in their old nest atop of the power pole along the road. It took me 45 minutes to rassle three wb to the bait box. They seem be there and thinking of love but not fast and furious ketchen' yet. When I drove back toward the orchard the male osprey was just coming home with a wb in his talons... could have sworn he gave me an "amateurish" look as I drove by.

Arrived at Lincoln about 7-ish today and left a little after 10:00. Water temp was 58 and warmed to 60 when I left. No wind but the heavy waves were still rocking the tub from last nights north winds. The water was chocolate colored. I saw very little carp activity any where. The "flow" from BS inlet was only knee-high to the pelicans grouped there. Not good.

I made a quick run over to Provo Bay looking for calmer seas -- no luck. Headed back toward BS and was just starting to build up my speed when I hit some kind of object that was unseen and just under the five foot deep surface of the water. The boat did not make contact but the prop did; scared the aa... a.., well it really scared me. Prop was slightly disfigured but fixable with a few good whacks when i got home. Also saw an abandoned or run-away boat wedged in the reeds on the south side of the bay toward SF inlet. Hope the owner finds it.

The fishing: It was somewhere between poor and slow. I managed to ketch four, a couple near 27", and had a couple of misses. Bites were half-hearted and not representative of the usual May/June bite. Still, a good day with a promise of better days to come.

One more week...........
Man, I keep waiting for your breakout run. Seems UL is a bit off this spring, but I am sure it will turn fast and furious when it does
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-05-2021, 05:40 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I went out to Mulberry yesterday to try for a couple of white bass for todays cat trip. Good to see the pair of ospreys have taken up residency again in their old nest atop of the power pole along the road. It took me 45 minutes to rassle three wb to the bait box. They seem be there and thinking of love but not fast and furious ketchen' yet. When I drove back toward the orchard the male osprey was just coming home with a wb in his talons... could have sworn he gave me an "amateurish" look as I drove by.

Arrived at Lincoln about 7-ish today and left a little after 10:00. Water temp was 58 and warmed to 60 when I left. No wind but the heavy waves were still rocking the tub from last nights north winds. The water was chocolate colored. I saw very little carp activity any where. The "flow" from BS inlet was only knee-high to the pelicans grouped there. Not good.

I made a quick run over to Provo Bay looking for calmer seas -- no luck. Headed back toward BS and was just starting to build up my speed when I hit some kind of object that was unseen and just under the five foot deep surface of the water. The boat did not make contact but the prop did; scared the aa... a.., well it really scared me. Prop was slightly disfigured but fixable with a few good whacks when i got home. Also saw an abandoned or run-away boat wedged in the reeds on the south side of the bay toward SF inlet. Hope the owner finds it.

The fishing: It was somewhere between poor and slow. I managed to ketch four, a couple near 27", and had a couple of misses. Bites were half-hearted and not representative of the usual May/June bite. Still, a good day with a promise of better days to come.

One more week...........
Four is four better than a skunk.  Unless the wind ever lets up and allows the lake to clear a bit it is not liable to get to the red hot stage.  Even though cats forage by scent, they are also sight feeders in warmer and clearer water.  It helps for them to be able to see their prey as well as just sniff it.

Glad your prop wasn't damaged any worse than it was.  You musta run over the Utah Lake monster.

My official prediction...mid May madness.
So I hope you didn't find the boat operator with your prop? Hope no one is missing currently, just a boat got away...

I hit an underwater island on Cutler two weeks ago and they really get your attention fast... Luckily mine was with the boat body before the prop got there, so we saved the prop and was moving slow enough it didn't hurt anything, but it sure woke me up... The ice sheared all the bulrushes off the islands in Cutler last winter, so now nothing is visible to show you where to avoid and the roots from the bulrushes stick up a foot or so off the 1.5' deep bottom so they are just right to cause some pain this year... If you're new to Cutler, be very careful going faster unless you know you are in a safe lane... I know the pond pretty well and still hit this island, so be careful... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Lynn,  I hit something with my prop on old motor about 3 years ago. Was on the outside of the Provo State Park west dike about 1/2 way between the river outlet and the marina inlet. Just caught the bottom inch of 2 of the 3 blades. Sonar was showing over 3 fow with flat bottom.  No idea what I hit. Was told by someone I related that story to that it was possibly something left over from an old road base. Whatever it was, it had to be small diameter, like maybe a piece of rebar, cuz we slowly crisscrossed that area with the motor tilted up and never could see anything on t he down imaging.  Huh . 

Thought about heading to UL today or tomorrow to try for some WB for future trips catfish bait. But went to Willard instead.

Was a nice morning, and at least didn't take home a skunk this trip.   Are you gonna post any of your Cats from today ?
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
If anyone finds a 15hp Johnson out by the Knolls lemme know, I hit something last year so hard it ripped off the back of my boat... long scary paddle back to shore against the wind....
I was really surprised when I clobbered whatever it was. It is not uncommon for logs and tree limbs to enter the lake via SF river but I was a mile of so away from the inlet and in at least 5 fow. UL is known for its muddy and flat bottom almost over the entire lake. I usually never worry about anything unless I see something floating on the surface. The only areas with a high risk of prop damage are the rocks around the springs and the L, and, of course, Bird Island. The "arm" at BI is a real killer for those who are not familiar with it. Some of the worst sounds I have ever heard involved speeding boats attempting to cross "the arm" at Bird Island.

I agree with TD, still a week or so away from fast action. Unusual year. Years past, April and May have been good catch months for me. Kinda envy you guys up north cuz you're doing so well with the early cats. Our time will come.

I didn't plan to enter any of my fish caught today. A 27 incher is a good starter and I would like to al least get on the board. Next time.

One more week....
(05-05-2021, 06:00 PM)TubeDudeHow are the walleye biting at Lincoln? Wrote:
(05-05-2021, 05:40 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote: I went out to Mulberry yesterday to try for a couple of white bass for todays cat trip. Good to see the pair of ospreys have taken up residency again in their old nest atop of the power pole along the road. It took me 45 minutes to rassle three wb to the bait box. They seem be there and thinking of love but not fast and furious ketchen' yet. When I drove back toward the orchard the male osprey was just coming home with a wb in his talons... could have sworn he gave me an "amateurish" look as I drove by.

One more week...........
Four is four better than a skunk.  Unless the wind ever lets up and allows the lake to clear a bit it is not liable to get to the red hot stage.  Even though cats forage by scent, they are also sight feeders in warmer and clearer water.  It helps for them to be able to see their prey as well as just sniff it.

Glad your prop wasn't damaged any worse than it was.  You musta run over the Utah Lake monster.

My official prediction...mid May madness.
Thanks for the update Lynn. I'm hooked to the boat and have all but my coolers loaded for a camping trip to LB. I should get down around 9:00 in the morning. I'm staying at the campground just one night. Look for me and Dakota.
Randy-- All of the fish I caught today were in 2-3 ft. of water. I know you like to work in the reeds a lot so you may hit them just right. Not sure if I will get out tomorrow but if I do I'll look you up. (Dakota too)
Good luck and will look forward to your report.
TubeDudeHow are the walleye biting at Lincoln?

Hey Lloyd.  Looks like you found your way back to the "new and improved" BFT.  Good to hear from you.  But you still got some figuring to get the message right.  Almost missed this one.

No recent walleye reports but May and June are usually good for post spawn walleyes.  As you well know, they are seldom available in numbers and you gotta work for them.  
(05-05-2021, 09:35 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: If anyone finds a 15hp Johnson out by the Knolls lemme know, I hit something last year so hard it ripped off the back of my boat... long scary paddle back to shore against the wind....
Are you serious, that would be so scary... You must have had some of the back of the boat left or you wouldn't have made it... Man you must have hit hard to tear the motor off... Glad you survived that one... Got a great story anyway... Maybe it was the UL "Shark" that ate off the backend of your boat... My smaller motors were always free to pop up if I hit something, but my new motor is trim controlled and locked in solid, wonder if they have some kind of safety release so you don't ruin your boats... Thanks for the story now I have something to work on... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

One more week...........
Glad to see your starting to get out there more,  you probably hit that big cat in the head with with your prop.  was out last Saturday found the WB but the the cats didnt want to play,  its been tough after easter, try tonight to see what might happen.

Your gona have to look for white ranger 1780 and not the blue and white bayliner,  did a upgrade and so far I love it, except on the 15th of every month.[Image: boat.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(05-06-2021, 03:28 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

One more week...........
Glad to see your starting to get out there more,  you probably hit that big cat in the head with with your prop.  was out last Saturday found the WB but the the cats didnt want to play,  its been tough after easter, try tonight to see what might happen.

Your gona have to look for white ranger 1780 and not the blue and white bayliner,  did a upgrade and so far I love it, except on the 15th of every month.[Image: boat.jpg]
Nice! Hope you continue to offset the payments with some great walleyes. Will be watching for you but I'll still be in my grungy old Tracker. Only the super rich can afford new boats. Cool
(05-06-2021, 06:10 PM)Boatloadakids Wrote:
(05-06-2021, 03:28 PM)MSM1970 Wrote:

One more week...........

Nice! Hope you continue to offset the payments with some great walleyes. Will be watching for you but I'll still be in my grungy old Tracker. Only the super rich can afford new boats. Cool
I know thats why I found a good used one, hard to find white ones,   mostly wanted to up grade to a 4 stroke,  the rest come with it, not complaining tho,
               O.C.F.D.
Hey, Mike, your new ride looks sweet. Give us a few details--motor, year, etc. please.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(05-09-2021, 05:52 PM)catchinon Wrote: Hey, Mike, your new ride looks sweet. Give us a few details--motor, year, etc. please.
2015 Ranger 1780 115 merc, found out it has 39 hours, ulterra on the bow,  he had it loaded,  he didnt use it last year, I was the lucky one  to be first in line to was waiting for him to say something bad so I could walk away,  everything is what I was looking for so I ended up pulling it home,

Will have my old one up for sale soon if someone is interested.
[Image: IMG-20210506-200311298-HDR.jpg]
               O.C.F.D.