Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW (to me) Tadpole Diver
I recently watched a fishing program LINK TO VIDEO that showed (me) a new way to get baits and lures down deep without downriggers, leadcore line or the heavy bulky divers some anglers use.  In the program they were fishing for walleyes, using the “Tadpole” diver to make deeper presentations with both crankbaits and crawler harnesses. 
[Image: TADPOLE-2.jpg]

As a “small craft” angler without the capability of installing downriggers on my craft…and a patent dislike for leadcore line…I was intrigued.  So, I ordered one to try.  I put it to the test on Willard Thursday.  Didn’t catch any fish in the short time I used it, but I was impressed with how relatively light (1 oz.) and compact it was…and at the same time how well it took my shallow diving crankbait right to the bottom with minimal line let out. 

I’m looking forward to greater experimentation with this thing in the future…both from my float tube and when I climb in someone else’s boat.   Just wondering if anybody else on the Utah board here has any experience with these things.

I am attaching a chart showing the projected depths and line required at different speeds.  Thinking this might be a good thing for guys without riggers.
[Image: TADPOLE-CHART-2.jpg]
Pat, it looks a lot like the Pink Lady, the dipsy diver, the Deep Six, Jet Diver, etc.

Yes, I have used them, and they are good.  Some can be a little tricky to work so that they don't trip early, and they are harder to target than a downrigger.  But, I have the used the Jet Diver on a side planner or planer skies, so I had the depth and the spread.
(05-07-2021, 10:52 PM)Anglinarcher Wrote: Pat, it looks a lot like the Pink Lady, the dipsy diver, the Deep Six, Jet Diver, etc.

Yes, I have used them, and they are good.  Some can be a little tricky to work so that they don't trip early, and they are harder to target than a downrigger.  But, I have the used the Jet Diver on a side planner or planer skies, so I had the depth and the spread.
As a former northern Cal and Oregon angler I have had experience with several "diver" options.  This one is about the simplest and lightest I have seen...and is not directional...like some divers.  But, as you suggest, it is likely to take some practice to get it properly set and not tripped too early.

Nothing can replace the control and options of a good rigger.  But for those who ain't got, it is a partial solution.
Yes they do take some practice, like any diver, the type of lures you drag make a difference. You have to work them out. I have a one ounce and a two ounce.
They , together with a heavy pulling diver, can really drag on a planner board.
I really like the easy way they can reset, without needing to real them up.
I found them easier to adjust if you don't set the lures back from the diver to far.
One more toy, !!
Used dipseys and the like in salt for Salmon. I still have a couple “small” disk type divers that were made by big Jon that are also directional they only weigh an ounce or less you can “set” them for right or left. I’m Not sure if they are still available . I have had good success with them for kokes, trout and salt water salmon don’t use them very often anymore, but a great option if you don’t have downriggers and don’t want to put a bunch more weight on your line and since they “trip” when you hook up, less resistance when bringing the fish in. That tadpole looks like it will do the trick!
Mildog out
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(05-08-2021, 06:18 PM)Mildog Wrote: Used dipseys and the like in salt for Salmon. I still have a couple “small” disk type divers that were made by big Jon that are also directional they only weigh an ounce or less you can “set” them for right or left. I’m Not sure if they are still available . I have had good success with them for kokes, trout and salt water salmon don’t use them very often anymore, but a great option if you don’t have downriggers and don’t want to put a bunch more weight on your line and since they “trip” when you hook up, less resistance when bringing the  fish in. That tadpole looks like it will do the trick!
Mildog out
During the years I lived in California I was exposed to all the different divers used for salmon and such.  Some worked better than others.  Most created a good "battle" when you tried to reel them in...even without a fish on.  One of the appeals of the tadpole is the streamlined shape and the fact that it reels "inline" on the retrieve.  

A fishing buddy from Sacramento made some of his own divers from molded plastic and a bit of lead that worked really well.  I was surprised that he had no interest in patenting or manufacturing them.  Somebody else probably has by now.