Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trout growth rate - time to 15"?
Hi Folks -
I have a question. I noticed that Lost Creek has a slot limit for trout at 15". I noticed that DNR will plant trout at 11-12" long in the spring. My question is: If you plant an 11" long trout in Lost Creek in the spring how long will it be after one full year and how long will it be after two full years? Thx.
(05-13-2021, 01:55 PM)Trent_S Wrote: Hi Folks -
I have a question. I noticed that Lost Creek has a slot limit for trout at 15". I noticed that DNR will plant trout at 11-12" long in the spring. My question is: If you plant an 11" long trout in Lost Creek in the spring how long will it be after one full year and how long will it be after two full years? Thx.

That all depends on population densities.  However, in most cases, an 11-12" fish will grow about 5" in a year.  But, that doesn't mean that it will be 22" after two full years (in your example).

Fish are very plastic.  Their growth is what we call "indeterminate".  Mammals growth is "determinate".  We know when a horse is born that it will grow over the course of it's life into a "pre-determined" size.  Fish, on the other hand, only grow to match their environment.  They might spend most of their life (5 years?) as a 14" long fish -- and then one year they might all-of-a-sudden grow into a 20" fish over night. 

Here's a good article for you:

.pdf   4-step method to manage for quality fishing.pdf (Size: 1.26 MB / Downloads: 8)