Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Victory hooks
After searching unsuccessfully for size 4 triple grip trebles I gave up and ordered some Victory hooks from Barlows tackle. I wasn't sure what to expect since I haven't heard of Victory before. The first word to describe them is SHARP........very sharp, sharper than Gamakatsu sharp. They are also stout, and I like the small barb. I should mention that the bait hooks are at least one size smaller than listed, the one in the photo is listed as a size 2, its more like a size 4. I haven't tried the trebles yet but the bait hooks stick and hold really well.

[Image: 20210516-192405.jpg]
(05-17-2021, 02:12 AM)thatchergreg Wrote: After searching unsuccessfully for size 4 triple grip trebles I gave up and ordered some Victory hooks from Barlows tackle. I wasn't sure what to expect since I haven't heard of Victory before. The first word to describe them is SHARP........very sharp, sharper than Gamakatsu sharp. They are also stout, and I like the small barb. I should mention that the bait hooks are at least one size smaller than listed, the one in the photo is listed as a size 2, its more like a size 4. I haven't tried the trebles yet but the bait hooks stick and hold really well.

Nice, are you making those spinners yourself or did you buy them? Are you using them for trout fishing or something else?
Thanks for the review.  Looks like at least a limited replacement for the now unavailable Matzuo sickle hooks.  I buy from Barlows and will probably sample a couple of the Victory models on my next order.  My concern is for the quality of the wire in the jig hooks.  I tried some of the Eagle Claw "Lil Nasty" sickle hooks and found them to be inferior...very light bendable wire.  I would like to see them offer more of the hooks in red finish.
Yes, I assemble spinners. I think they have caught almost everything that swims. The larger sizes weigh 5/8 oz. And have worked well when trolled at the Gorge.
Pat, I wouldn't worry about their wire quality, the bait hooks are listed as fine wire and they are strong.
(05-17-2021, 05:47 PM)thatchergreg Wrote: Yes, I assemble spinners. I think they have caught almost everything that swims. The larger sizes weigh 5/8 oz. And have worked well when trolled at the Gorge.
Pat, I wouldn't worry about their wire quality, the bait hooks are listed as fine wire and they are strong.

I was assured by Barlows that the Eagle Claw were strong too.  But they are not tempered and the hooks bend very easily.  Thanks for the input.
I can not add anything to the Victory Hook side of this discussion, but I did order a bunch of the eagle claw L Nasties in various sizes for some projects. They actually worked very well for my small panfish pugly perch bugs but I was very disappointed in the larger size for the reasons Pat has already mentioned. After a few hot headed smallmouth worked them over, I abandonded them for a stouter bit of steel.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(05-17-2021, 01:07 PM)TubeDude Wrote: "limited replacement for the now unavailable Matzuo sickle hooks.  ..........  I tried some of the Eagle Claw "Lil Nasty" sickle hooks and found them to be inferior...very light bendable wire.........

When Matzuo was purchased by Zebco, I was concerned.  Some people love Zebco, but I just don't find anything they have of value to me.

Eagle Claw is somewhat better, but their Trokar brand is intended to be the "high end" product.  I don't mind the standard Eagle Claw for light weight stuff, but I bought some of their "circle hooks" two years ago and the Utah Lake cats straightened them out like they were wet noodles.

I would also like to know more about the Victory hooks, so Pat, keep us apprised.  As for the red color, I bought a bottle of red hook dye to fix that, but that stuff wears off on a couple of fish.  Uggggggggggg
I first saw the "Victory" hooks on Barlow's web site. Got some #1/0 jig hooks and they seem pretty good. Was bummed that they did not have red ones, but now I see that they have red available. Looks like a good substituent for the Matzuo hooks. I wonder if Barlows is having these made for their brand or if it is a new company ??

As to the Triple grip hooks, Barlow's usually carries the full Mustad line, so you can get them there. If not, Jann's Netcraft also carries them, a bit more pricey than Barlow's but they are available there!!
(05-19-2021, 12:46 AM)Therapist Wrote: I wonder if Barlows is having these made for their brand or if it is a new company ?? 

It would appear to be a new brand.

Victory Hooks may be a new brand but is built on a lifetime of experience. From the hook set to the moment you land that trophy in the boat; we know the ultimate difference between success and failure is the hook you choose. We take great pride in the design, quality and strength of our products and look forward to being part of every “Victory” on the water. Winning, that’s the point.

https://victoryhooks.com/index.php