Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicker steering
I am upgrading my main motor to yamaha 115 with hydraulic steering. I have a yamaha 6hp kicker that I have been using with a tiller, but looking around for good ways to connect the two. What kind of setups are y'all using? Linkage bar? Just tying to get some advice on good steering setup. Thanks
Its all going to depend on how the 2 engine sit side by side on what will be the best for you.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
A lot of us just use the kicker to push the boat and steer with an electric trolling motor on the front of the boat, there are several advantages to this set up. Steering from the front is more reactive you can make quicker tighter turns when trying to stay on top of schools. you can use it to vary your speed up and down in smaller increments, most electric trolling motors have auto pilot that will drive the boat while you our setting up or playing fish and many of them can be networked to your electronics to drive the boat in saved routes or follow contour lines. Another feature is spot lock a virtual anchor that will hover your boat on a spot which is great for vertical jigging.
I have a Merc 115 hp with hydraulic steering connected to a merc 9.9 by this connector rod.

https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/marinete...nector-rod

It took a little modification to secure it to the 9.9, not difficult at all. I now use the stainless steel model because in the past I had the zinc-plated one and it rusted out after a few years. Installed correctly there will be no issues with, shaking, rattling or binding.
As was previously mentioned, the only proper way to troll is locking the kicker straight forward, and using the front troller for steering and fine speed adjustments. I call it 4WD trolling, because this resists wind and wave drift much better. Added benefits are the kicker doing most of the pushing makes your battery last forever, and the autopilot is amazing in that you don't have to constantly steer - you don't end up spinning in circles while you're trying to net a fish. Much more maneuverable as well.

I've done the tie bar routine. One motor always binds before the other, so you don't get full range of steering, and those things rattle, vibrate, and make all kinds of annoying noises. I'd never go that route again after adding the Terrova. It changed the way I fish.
(05-19-2021, 10:49 PM)SilverSlimer Wrote: I am upgrading my main motor to yamaha 115 with hydraulic steering. I have a yamaha 6hp kicker that I have been using with a tiller, but looking around for good ways to connect the two. What kind of setups are y'all using? Linkage bar? Just tying to get some advice on good steering setup. Thanks

Garmin TR-1 Gold
BYU is correct, a front positioning motor with a heading sensor cannot be beat.
The Garmin system is nice, but will not allow you to whip baits around as well as having the front motor and periodically hitting max power while making hard rights and lefts. The Garmin TR-1 only steers from the rear.

If you are not yet quite ready for the front motor purchase and are relying on the tie bar system, grab a bungee cord a few inches shorter than your tie bar and bungee the motors together parallel with tie bar, it will eliminate the rattles.
Thanks for all the tips and tricks. I do have a Terrova on the front, mostly looking for ideas as a backup option to extend the trolling motor battery on long multi day trips to the gorge or Powell. All great options guys, much appreciated!
(05-21-2021, 06:21 PM)SilverSlimer Wrote: Thanks for all the tips and tricks. I do have a Terrova on the front, mostly looking for ideas as a backup option to extend the trolling motor battery on long multi day trips to the gorge or Powell. All great options guys, much appreciated!

My 24 volt Terrova will last almost 40 hours on a charge (depending on how windy) with two group 27 batteries. If you need a backup option, a 2200 Watt Honda Generator does the trick.