Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pictures, resizing, temp fix for problems??
By now we all know our beloved add image feature is gone, hopefully for only a short time.  But, we do have the NEW ATTACHMENT option at the bottom.  It is limited to size, a problem that I don't know how to correct, but one we can, in some part, get around for adding pictures.

I PM'd Wipperhunter2 and asked him how he resized pictures.  I know that most of our pics taken from current phones and cameras are way over 2MB so something has to be done to them.  He said to "go for it" when I asked if he was ok with me posting suggestions.

The following is what I discovered when I did some research.  I also know that some of the information is old, obsolete, or takes you in loops, so I did not confirm all methods.  I did delete one that looked very promising, but it was an experimental open source program that I just did not trust.

So, here is the information, and I invite all to add their best method.  I sure do miss Windows XP for this.  LOL

Let's see if it shows up.  If not, I will try to copy and paste.

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]A)     [/font][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Wiperhunter2 said: I'm using a Chrome book. I open the pic in Gallery, then click on the crop and rotate button, on the right you will see, Free Original, square, 16.9, 3.2, and 4.3, I click on 3.2. Then hit the done button and the pic is resized. That is the pic I will use but if for some reason that does not make it 2 MB or smaller then you can do it again.[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]B)     [/font][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Anglinarcher said: OK, I use a laptop.  Microsoft Windows 10.  If I take the original and take it to the 3.2 it does reduce it.  But.... if it is not enough I [/font][font="Open Sans", sans-serif]can't do it again[/font][font="Open Sans", sans-serif].  If I crop the picture or make it square, it reduces it more.  I can see this may not work on super high-quality pictures, you know, the ones we like to see posted.  LOL[/font]

[font="Open Sans", sans-serif]Researching on line gave several options.[/font]

C) “In Windows XP you also can use the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer" to reduce the size of an image:
  • Double-click on the image file to open it
  • Right-click on the image 
  • Select Resize Picture
  • Select Small or Medium
  • Click the OK button.”

Attached Files
.docx   Resize options.docx (Size: 24.14 KB / Downloads: 5)
Image Size is an app that you can download to your phone. After it’s installed when in the app you can select any photo on your phone and change the size, I’m using 629x629 (as one of the pics I looked at on the site was that size) after putting in the new size hit the download button on the bottom and it’s done. Use the add image on the board and then select the resized pic. What I do like is that it creates a copy so if you wanted the original for other purposes it’s still original size.
OK, that was strange, the stuff before C) does not show up when I copy it in, and won't edit out.  Let's try to get more but you will need to ignore that garbage.  Sorry!

“To Resize a picture or image using "Paint" in Windows 10, 8, 7 or Vista

1.  Open Paint:
2.  In Windows 10: click the Search icon or box, type Paint, and click on the Paint desktop app.
3.  In Windows 8: on the Tiles screen, type Paint, and click on the App icon for Paint   
4.  In Windows 7 or Vista: click the Start button   > click All Programs > click Accessories > then click Paint.

5. Click File in Windows 10 or 8 or on the Paint button   in Windows 7/Vista > click Open > select the picture or image you want to resize > then click Open. 
6.  On the Home tab, in the Image group, click Resize.
7.  In the Resize and Skew dialog box, select the Maintain aspect ratio check box so that the resized image will have the same aspect ratio as the original picture.

If the Maintain aspect ratio check box is selected, you only need to enter the horizontal value (width) or vertical value (height). The other box in the Resize area is updated automatically

8.  Do one of the following in the Resize area, and then click OK:
o   To resize your picture by a certain percentage, click Percentage, and then enter a percentage to reduce the width by in the Horizontal box, or a percentage to reduce the height by in the Vertical box.
o   To resize the picture so it's a specific size, click Pixels, and then enter a new width in the Horizontal box, or new height inthe Vertical box.
9.  Click File in Windows 10 or 8 or the Paint button in Windows 7/Vista > point to Save as > then click the picture file type for the resized image.
10.  Type a new file name in the File name box, and then click Save.”

“Third-party photo editing programs (such as Photo Shop or Paint Shop Pro) also can be used to resize graphical image files. 

Alternatively, you can use free photo editing programs such as PIXresizer (download),  Shrink Pictures (online), FlipMyPhotos (online), Google's Picasa (download), Google Photos, or GIMP  to easily reduce the size of an image. 

Now, I am not a MAC guy, so I have limited experience on this one, but this is what I found on a search.

[font="Times New Roman", serif]  
[font="Times New Roman", serif]How to Reduce the Size of a JPEG on Mac[/font]
[/font]

1. Go to Applications and launch the Preview app (you may also start it from the dock if Preview is there).
  2. While in the Preview app, click on File menu and choose Open.
  3. Navigate to the photo you want to reduce, and click Open.
  4. Once the image loads up in Preview, click Tools on the menu bar and choose Adjust Size.”

(05-28-2021, 06:41 PM)2knots Wrote: Image Size is an app that you can download to your phone. After it’s installed when in the app you can select any photo on your phone and change the size, I’m using 629x629 (as one of the pics I looked at on the site was that size) after putting in the new size hit the download button on the bottom and it’s done. Use the add image on the board and then select the resized pic.  What I do like is that it creates a copy so if you wanted the original for other purposes it’s still original size.

Great idea.  I just went to the Play Store and fond lots of them.  I hope I got a good one, but it looks promising.