Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First trip to Utah Lake 2021 -Rewrite-
Well have really gotten cabin fever last several weeks. Weather has been really crazy. But the forecast I saw for middle of the week wasn't too bad, except for wind. So I thought I'd make a trip south without the boat and try my luck off the banks, jetty, rocks, at Provo State Park.  It turned out to be  kind of a mixed blessing that I left the boat home, although Tuesday morning I would have really liked to have had it. Got out to the State Park and about half way down the marina north jetty. Water was like glass, and that made me wish I had brought the boat.

From 0915 a.m. to 1130 a.m. I fished the north marina jetty.  One line out with various bait changes, shrimp, worms, cut carp. Second pole was a cast for White Bass rig. Lite line, various color and size plastics on small jig heads, some with a small piece of worm some not.  At 0956 baited line started running out, then slack. Lifted pole, tightened drag, Gotcha. OK, not the prettiest way to avoid the skunk that has been hounding me the past several weeks, but a typical UL Bullhead Cat #1. 

At 1130 I decided to move around to the south side of marina along the Provo river.  Most the good access spots were already in use. Spent 90 minutes with lite rig casting in fan pattern in and near weed beds. Results = NADA.

1300 Moved back around to the north jetty. The handicap accessible fishing pier that had been occupied earlier in the morning was now empty. Set out one baited line and went back to casting for Whities.  Between 1300 and 1500 hooked up 5 more Bullheads, and 2 WB.  Bullheads released and Whities put on ice for future bait use.  
Due to the site image posting issues, won't post all the Bullheads.  But here's the 2 WB. 

26 May, 0650 a.m. got back out to State Park marina north jetty. NOW I was glad I didn't bring boat. Weather forecast was about a day slow, but this morning wind was up and white capping lake at about 2-3 feet. Went around to Provo river area, and this time found a nice shady, level ground, access point with nicer mixture of open water, gravel bed edge and weed line and protected from wind. Had to work thru several selections of jig colors, but finally started getting whities to hit on a green / yellow twister tail on a pink jig head. 

About 1100 a.m. wind was still pretty stiff on the lake, decided to pack it up and make the drive back to Ogden.  Traffic was normal and moving well all the way. But then I had a second reason to be glad I hadn't taken my boat.  There had been a traffic wreck on the street in front of my storage unit, one vehicle hit a power pole and it dropped in the storage facility entrance. Would not have been able to put boat away. At least my poles and other gear I can lock in my truck.

Attached Files Image(s)

"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
Thanks for the report Forest, you pics look good. How big were those white bass?
(06-05-2021, 01:23 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Forest, you pics look good. How big were those white bass?

Curt, I didn't measure any of the WB. Gonna be used for Catfish bait on later trips to UL. But would guess them to be 5-6 inches.
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(06-05-2021, 01:03 PM)Tin-Can Wrote:
(06-05-2021, 01:23 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks for the report Forest, you pics look good. How big were those white bass?

Curt, I didn't measure any of the WB. Gonna be used for Catfish bait on later trips to UL. But would guess them to be 5-6 inches.

LOL, I guess those pics were taken very close to the fish, I figured they were at least 14" if not bigger, that is why I ask. I thought wow, great sizes WB Big Grin