Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard still cranking out the eyes
I wasn't sure how the DWR stocking the eyes would turn out but I will say it has turned out really good, so thanks to all the DWR folks that made the decision to do that at Willard and all the hard work they spend every year, netting, then stocking all those eyes. As much as I miss catching those higher numbers of Wipers, I enjoy eating the eyes much more. 

Reelfast and I got out to Willard today and from the last two weeks, it did not seem that getting there when the gate opened did any good, so today we got there at 7:30 am. It was windy when we arrived and the folks that got there early were getting off the water. We got ready and went ahead and launched, then slowly headed North because of the water white capping. Once we got to the wind blocking North dike we started trolling cranks at 2 mph. After a few minutes we started catching eyes and it was one after another for an hour or so, then the wind calmed down and the catching stopped, bummer. We kept trolling, changing lures often, until the wind picked up again and so did the bite. Again we had a spree of non stop action with the biggest eye going 22". The predictions of high winds today were in the back of our minds when the winds calmed down again and again so did the bite. We pressed on, going through the same area we had caught the fish earlier and started picking up a fish here and there, even a double and a huge perch, that got off at the net. We kept at it and ended up cranking out two limits by noon. Got some text from JJannie, they were out there as well, good hearing from you two. All in all it was a good day and I was glad we hung in there, even with the windy conditions early. Thanks Dan for a great morning at the Bay.
[Image: Doubles.jpg]

[Image: Dan-2limitsofeyes.jpg]

[Image: Dan-22ineye.jpg]
I wondered how many others were out there today. I launched around 7am in my kayak and hung out in the south marina till the winds calmed a bit. Ended up with a bass inside, then ventured out and picked up 3 cats. I didn’t make it out far enough to get into the eyes, before realizing my sun protection was in the truck. Glad you and others had luck. Talked with one guy at the cleaning station who had a couple limits.
(06-07-2021, 10:39 PM)JArner Wrote: I wondered how many others were out there today. I launched around 7am in my kayak and hung out in the south marina till the winds calmed a bit. Ended up with a bass inside, then ventured out and picked up 3 cats. I didn’t make it out far enough to get into the eyes, before realizing my sun protection was in the truck. Glad you and others had luck. Talked with one guy at the cleaning station who had a couple limits.

I think we saw you as we were going out of the channel, I waved to the guy we saw, here is a pic of the boat we were in.
[Image: Dan-s-boat.jpg]

imam ali pic
(06-07-2021, 10:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I wasn't sure how the DWR stocking the eyes would turn out but I will say it has turned out really good, so thanks to all the DWR folks that made the decision to do that at Willard and all the hard work they spend every year, netting, then stocking all those eyes. As much as I miss catching those higher numbers of Wipers, I enjoy eating the eyes much more. 

Reelfast and I got out to Willard today and from the last two weeks, it did not seem that getting there when the gate opened did any good, so today we got there at 7:30 am. It was windy when we arrived and the folks that got there early were getting off the water. We got ready and went ahead and launched, then slowly headed North because of the water white capping. Once we got to the wind blocking North dike we started trolling cranks at 2 mph. After a few minutes we started catching eyes and it was one after another for an hour or so, then the wind calmed down and the catching stopped, bummer. We kept trolling, changing lures often, until the wind picked up again and so did the bite. Again we had a spree of non stop action with the biggest eye going 22". The predictions of high winds today were in the back of our minds when the winds calmed down again and again so did the bite. We pressed on, going through the same area we had caught the fish earlier and started picking up a fish here and there, even a double and a huge perch, that got off at the net. We kept at it and ended up cranking out two limits by noon. Got some text from JJannie, they were out there as well, good hearing from you two. All in all it was a good day and I was glad we hung in there, even with the windy conditions early. Thanks Dan for a great morning at the Bay.
[Image: Doubles.jpg]

[Image: Dan-2limitsofeyes.jpg]

[Image: Dan-22ineye.jpg]
That is a very sweet batch of Walleye. They are going to filet up real nice and taste delicious .

The fight is not a wiper.  I love a wiper hit and I love the fight. 
I wonder how they will factor into the predator/prey equation as far as the shad and other forage.
Yes, I recall the boat. You guys had a great setup for today.
(06-07-2021, 11:45 PM)Gone Forever Wrote:
(06-07-2021, 10:19 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I wasn't sure how the DWR stocking the eyes would turn out but I will say it has turned out really good, so thanks to all the DWR folks that made the decision to do that at Willard and all the hard work they spend every year, netting, then stocking all those eyes. As much as I miss catching those higher numbers of Wipers, I enjoy eating the eyes much more. 

That is a very sweet batch of Walleye. They are going to filet up real nice and taste delicious .

The fight is not a wiper.  I love a wiper hit and I love the fight. 
I wonder how they will factor into the predator/prey equation as far as the shad and other forage.

IMO, both wipers and eyes are eating machines, so I don't think there will be much difference between walleye being the dominant predator in Willard compared to the wiper. At least as far as there being more walleye in the lake now, compared to the wipers.
That pretty well confirms either one of two things:
1.  Getting in a boat jinxes me...a float tuber...and I can't catch fish from a boat.  or...
2.  I...a float tuber...jinx any boat I get in and the fish won't cooperate that day.

3 trips to Willard in a boat...with 3 knowledgeable anglers with good boats and electronic.  Score...1 fish each trip to ward off the skunks, but that's it.  And other boats on the lake at the same time all doing well.

Glad you guys got into the fish.  You may have been questioning your own angler credentials after our trip.
(06-08-2021, 02:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote: That pretty well confirms either one of two things:
1.  Getting in a boat jinxes me...a float tuber...and I can't catch fish from a boat.  or...
2.  I...a float tuber...jinx any boat I get in and the fish won't cooperate that day.

3 trips to Willard in a boat...with 3 knowledgeable anglers with good boats and electronic.  Score...1 fish each trip to ward off the skunks, but that's it.  And other boats on the lake at the same time all doing well.

Glad you guys got into the fish.  You may have been questioning your own angler credentials after our trip.

That was exactly what I was thinking after our last trip out there Pat, questioning my angler experience at Willard. Yesterday started off the same, with Dan landing the first three fish but then I got my mojo back and I caught the next 4 or 5. I told Dan the same thing, I just could not believe you and I had such poor luck last week, when he and ira were catching fish but such is fishing.
(06-08-2021, 03:13 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 02:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote: That pretty well confirms either one of two things:

That was exactly what I was thinking after our last trip out there Pat, questioning my angler experience at Willard. Yesterday started off the same, with Dan landing the first three fish but then I got my mojo back and I caught the next 4 or 5. I told Dan the same thing, I just could not believe you and I had such poor luck last week, when he and ira were catching fish but such is fishing.
I also think your most recent trip validates the wallieologists' belief in the "walleye chop".   We went out on a glassy calm day last week, but most of the better reports this year have come from days...or at least periods...of some wind conditions roughing up the water.  Not so noticeable with wipers but walleyes have the hypersensitive eyes and prefer low light or diffused light conditions.

Again, congrats on a good day and I'm glad you worked off the float tuber jinx.
Ok, we have a little cold front coming in on Thursday, with temperatures doping for one day. After three days of south wind and hot days, what will this cold day do??
Should I fish on thurday or wait till friday, or saturday?
I would be a bit concerned about safety if the winds gust over 15 mph, but the fishing will be good IMHO.  My sweet spot is 10 to 12 MPH, but either the wind is howling or dead every time I go out this year.  

ugggggg
(06-08-2021, 04:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Ok, we have a little cold front coming in on Thursday, with temperatures doping for one day.  After three days of south wind and hot days, what will this cold day do??

That's a good question. Before I retired I went when I could but now I look for lower wind conditions. I do not like to go out when the wind is predicted to be 10 mph or higher. Here is the site I use for Willard:
https://www.windfinder.com/forecast/willard
If you follow that logic then you have a few hour window on Thurs but Fri looks better. Myself, I'm looking at going out on Fri again but Sat looks good too.
Thanks but weather is the easy part to figure out. Ha ha it's those walleyes that are challenging me. I think Friday will be good for me, I'll watch for you..
I have reserved the float tube ramp at the south marina for Friday.  Gotta get the boat juju off my tackle.
All you retired folks SUCK! Just kidding I just wish I was retired and out there with you. HE HE.

Great catching you two. We went to deer creek Sunday and we caught some eye's but they were all small. We will be hitting Willard this weekend.

fnf
[Image: PXL-20210606-193252937-1.jpg]

jeep wrangler 0 60
(06-08-2021, 11:51 PM)fishinfool Wrote: All you retired folks SUCK! Just kidding I just wish I was retired and out there with you. HE HE.

Great catching you two. We went to deer creek Sunday and we caught some eye's but they were all small. We will be hitting Willard this weekend.

fnf

We are catching a fair about of smaller eyes too Tony, they are around 14", how big are the ones you caught at DC?
(06-08-2021, 06:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 04:42 PM)doitall5000 Wrote: Ok, we have a little cold front coming in on Thursday, with temperatures doping for one day.  After three days of south wind and hot days, what will this cold day do??

That's a good question. Before I retired I went when I could but now I look for lower wind conditions. I do not like to go out when the wind is predicted to be 10 mph or higher. Here is the site I use for Willard:
If you follow that logic then you have a few hour window on Thurs but Fri looks better. Myself, I'm looking at going out on Fri again but Sat looks good too.

State parks have not changed the ramp report since 6/4 where advisory for willard north - still OK for launch or south better?
Thanks in advance for any info.
(06-10-2021, 10:08 PM)smokepoles Wrote:
(06-08-2021, 06:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

State parks have not changed the ramp report since 6/4 where advisory for willard north - still OK for launch or south better?
Thanks in advance for any info.
I'm launching from the South marina but there is no reason you can't launch from the North marina, as long as you stay in the center ramp and do not veer off to the left or right as you drive your trailer down the ramp. If you don't feel comfortable keeping you trailer in the center section it might be best to use the South marina but if you are careful the North marina is fine. Here is a pic of what the North marina ramp looks like when it is low, courtesy of TubeDude.

[Image: Low-water-at-Willard-N.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

(06-08-2021, 11:51 PM)fishinfool Wrote: All you retired folks SUCK! Just kidding I just wish I was retired and out there with you. HE HE.

fnf
[Image: PXL-20210606-193252937-1.jpg]

jeep wrangler 0 60

Fishinfool, us retired guys really appreciate those who still work.  We're enjoying the heck out of your social security donations.
Who are you kidding, they have thousands of your dollars, you paid for over 40 years. you'll not get back.