Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton 6/6 & Willard 6/7
My wife and I spent Sunday afternoon (6/6) by on Newton, there were quite a few people enjoying the bank near the dam. Shortly after we launched we encountered some pleasure boaters wasting gas. With no apparent destination or reason for going fast. We were not marking any fish or getting bites. Decided we’d troll back to the truck and try somewhere else, then my wife hooked into a 17.25” small mouth. Decided we’d stick around and see if the evening bite picked up… it did not. 

Stopped by Benson Marina on the way home and saw a group of jet boats out stretching their legs. Fun to watch. 

This morning I went to Willard and braved the winds. Launched my kayak around 7 and hung out in the south marina for an hour, picked up one smallie for my efforts. Finally the winds died down enough for me to venture into open water. I put on a fire tiger whirly worm harness behind a bottom bouncer. Didn’t take long for the first cat to latch on. Continued to troll the worm harness but also threw out a shad colored crank and caught 2 more cats before calling it a day around 10:00. 

[Image: 71-C9805-C-F16-B-4277-A7-A9-4301-D4-B73-B5-F.jpg]

[Image: B83-E1-DC5-4-F20-4975-8291-C0-D68-AF2-E853.jpg]

[Image: 60-E5-F1-EF-BB53-461-B-8087-2-F81-F6-D581-EA.jpg]

[Image: 1-C79668-E-B842-499-F-9-C95-7-C77-BD734-AEF.jpg]

[Image: 5-C40-A37-F-A4-B8-44-A2-8-AC2-7598-FFF9-BEFE.jpg]
(06-07-2021, 10:51 PM)JArner Wrote: My wife and I spent Sunday afternoon (6/6) by on Newton, there were quite a few people enjoying the bank near the dam. Shortly after we launched we encountered some pleasure boaters wasting gas. With no apparent destination or reason for going fast. We were not marking any fish or getting bites. Decided we’d troll back to the truck and try somewhere else, then my wife hooked into a 17.25” small mouth. Decided we’d stick around and see if the evening bite picked up… it did not. 

Stopped by Benson Marina on the way home and saw a group of jet boats out stretching their legs. Fun to watch. 

This morning I went to Willard and braved the winds. Launched my kayak around 7 and hung out in the south marina for an hour, picked up one smallie for my efforts. Finally the winds died down enough for me to venture into open water. I put on a fire tiger whirly worm harness behind a bottom bouncer. Didn’t take long for the first cat to latch on. Continued to troll the worm harness but also threw out a shad colored crank and caught 2 more cats before calling it a day around 10:00. 
Nice double report and great mixed bag of fish. Nice bass your wife caught but isn't that a Large mouth bass?
Ha, honestly it probably is. I’m not much good at how to identify them. The colors seemed pale to me, but I should probably learn. Thanks
(06-08-2021, 01:24 AM)JArner Wrote: Ha, honestly it probably is. I’m not much good at how to identify them. The colors seemed pale to me, but I should probably learn. Thanks

Large mouth are more of a greenish color, compared to the brownish small mouth but the biggest give away is the mouth, largemouth have a bigger mouth compared to the small mouth, hence the names.
We will be at Newton tomorrow morning. We normally love to fish it, but this year it seems a bit over run by those enthusiastic power squads.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice bass and post.  Too bad on the weather and the doofuses on Newton.