Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New law on baiting big game
You are receiving this email because you drew a permit to hunt during Utah’s 2021 big game or antlerless seasons. We want you to be aware of a new law that’s now in effect and may require a change in hunting methods for some hunters this fall. 

[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]HB 295, which passed during the 2021 Utah legislative session, restricts the baiting of big game animals (like deer and elk) when hunting in Utah. In the new law, "bait" is defined as intentionally placing food or nutrient substances — including salt or other mineral blocks — to manipulate the behavior of wildlife for the purpose of hunting or attempting to harvest big game.
Hunters who violate the new baiting law could see criminal charges ranging from a class B misdemeanor to a third-degree felony, and possibly the suspension of hunting privileges. 
In a nutshell, baiting big game is illegal if your intentions are to lure an animal to an area to hunt or harvest it. Please take some time to read and understand the law before you head out on your hunt this year. If you have additional questions, check out our frequently asked questions page or read our recent news release about the new law. [/font]
(07-08-2021, 04:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are receiving this email because you drew a permit to hunt during Utah’s 2021 big game or antlerless seasons. We want you to be aware of a new law that’s now in effect and may require a change in hunting methods for some hunters this fall. 

[font="Helvetica Neue", Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]HB 295, which passed during the 2021 Utah legislative session, restricts the baiting of big game animals (like deer and elk) when hunting in Utah. In the new law, "bait" is defined as intentionally placing food or nutrient substances — including salt or other mineral blocks — to manipulate the behavior of wildlife for the purpose of hunting or attempting to harvest big game.
Hunters who violate the new baiting law could see criminal charges ranging from a class B misdemeanor to a third-degree felony, and possibly the suspension of hunting privileges. 
In a nutshell, baiting big game is illegal if your intentions are to lure an animal to an area to hunt or harvest it. Please take some time to read and understand the law before you head out on your hunt this year. If you have additional questions, check out our frequently asked questions page or read our recent news release about the new law. [/font]

Yes sir, I got the same thing with my Antlerless draw. I just drew a Doe antelope, but if everything comes together, I will be again making more summer sausage this fall with some tatsy antelope meat. 

Whats your thoughts on this Curt since you started this post?
(07-11-2021, 09:29 PM)RILEYFISH Wrote: Yes sir, I got the same thing with my Antlerless draw. I just drew a Doe antelope, but if everything comes together, I will be again making more summer sausage this fall with some tatsy antelope meat. 

Whats your thoughts on this Curt since you started this post?

Yes, I figured everyone that hunts big game every year would get the same notice. I doubt anyone in utah does what came to my mind when baiting is brought up, like using corn or similar food type baits but I did not think salt was considered bait, because ranchers use salt blocks all the time for their cattle. What about stacks of alfalfa?  Don't get me wrong here, I'am in no way saying that any rancher would use either salt or alfalfa to lure in big game animals to shoot them but what about hunters? If hunters are not the ones to put the salt blocks out but happen to find a salt block on public land while hunting a big game animal and one happens to be there, would that be considered baiting, if they shoot it? Or would the proper course be to back off and not shoot the animal? What if you took the shoot and got it, then discover the salt block, should you turn yourself in?
Baiting means the placement of salt blocks, grains or hays for the purpose of luring in animals. If you stumble across a salt block that a rancher put out your perfectly legal to shoot an animal using it. Haystacks and fields aren't considered baiting as they weren't placed to attract game animals, so they can be taken around those as well. I read the regs from Montana, Idaho and Utah just to see how they all compared, as Idaho and Montana baiting has never been legal and all 3 revolve around the hunter placing the bait, found bait is perfectly fine.
(07-12-2021, 02:39 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: Baiting means the placement of salt blocks, grains or hays for the purpose of luring in animals. If you stumble across a salt block that a rancher put out your perfectly legal to shoot an animal using it. Haystacks and fields aren't considered baiting as they weren't placed to attract game animals, so they can be taken around those as well. I read the regs from Montana, Idaho and Utah just to see how they all compared, as Idaho and Montana baiting has never been legal and all 3 revolve around the hunter placing the bait, found bait is perfectly fine.

Isn't baiting legal for bears in Idaho?
That's the only thing it's legal for, nothing else.
(07-08-2021, 04:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: You are receiving this email because you drew a permit to hunt during Utah’s 2021 big game or antlerless seasons. We want you to be aware of a new law that’s now in effect and may require a change in hunting methods for some hunters this fall. 

In a nutshell, baiting big game is illegal if your intentions are to lure an animal to an area to hunt or harvest it. Please take some time to read and understand the law before you head out on your hunt this year. If you have additional questions, check out our frequently asked questions page or read our recent news release about the new law. 

[/font]
Got the same email. My thoughts are unless someone is pretty stupid and "baits" next to the road, how will they enforce this? Already have too few CO's. Guess if other hunters find baits for big game they can turn them in. I've never been a guy who wants to shoot a buck over a pile of apples. But i never had an issue with folks who do. I guess i don't see a lot of difference in staking out a spring with a tree stand or blind and shooting one coming for a drink. I'd like to see Utah ban trail cams every August 1. Use them from January through July and then pull them. Unfair advantage when you know when every buck is and can even report direct to your smart phone. But where's the line? Carbon arrows? Expandable broadheads? Long range rifles? range finders? Optics? Radios? We have become very proficient at killing stuff. A far cry from a wood arrow and recurve or an old open sight .30.30 
Those are some great points. As I see it you are correct about baiting, unless someone does it close to the rest of the public's eye or don't get turned in, then they probably won't be caught. I believe the line is in the hunting ethics, if it's not something you're not comfortable with then it's wrong. I'm all for carbon arrows and expandable broadheads, shoot like bullets, but I wouldn't be comfortable past 50 yards with them, too many variables, like wind, a twig you didn't see, I respect game too much to go around wounding a bunch of animals that will eventually die. Same with long range rifles, I have a couple that will reach out and touch something as far as I can see them, only bought just for the occasion I can't get much closer and might want to shoot out to 500 yards, won't go further. My self I like to get as close as possible, but sometimes not possible, so I can stretch that distance a bit. All my gear gives me the confidence to cleanly take a animal at these distances. Radios as far as I know are illegal to use in several states. I think it all comes down to hunter ethics and how far you are willing to go to take an animal. The scariest thing I ever did was go to a hunter safety class in my 30's, scary to see the older people that were just starting to hunt, or bowhunt.