Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookie's monster crappie
Had a couple hours this morning so Cowboy and I ran to Echo. Saw one other bank fisherman was all. Can't believe we missed Pat! Anyway, the small mouth were hungry. Drop shot with a little floating jig (Cowboy's puggly perch bug) with a bit of worm. Nothing huge, but lots of fight. The best catch of the day...(drumroll)...on a about my 3rd cast I hooked a monster crappie. At least a monster for Utah and definitely a monster for me. (I am doing a fist pump in air right now.)  Great to get out. Perfect temp, a little breeze kept it cooler. We were off the water by 9am. There was a pretty good hatch going on right at sunup, but as usual, Cowboy forgot flies. Something was surfacing like crazy for them, but couldn't hook anything. Very strange fishing year, but we will persevere. It's been awhile since we've done a video, I know you've missed us, so hear you go....

https://youtu.be/976iE1xSLBI

[Image: 2021-07-15-Echo.jpg]
Congrats Cookie, that was a fine looking crappie and the big bass was a nice one too, how long would you guess they were? What is up with Cowboy and the bathroom part to ending his video Undecided
Great job on catching some nice fish. A mighty fine crappie for Utah.
(07-16-2021, 12:28 AM)CookiePirate Wrote: Had a couple hours this morning so Cowboy and I ran to Echo. Saw one other bank fisherman was all. Can't believe we missed Pat! Anyway, the small mouth were hungry. Drop shot with a little floating jig (Cowboy's puggly perch bug) with a bit of worm. Nothing huge, but lots of fight. The best catch of the day...(drumroll)...on a about my 3rd cast I hooked a monster crappie. At least a monster for Utah and definitely a monster for me. (I am doing a fist pump in air right now.)  Great to get out. Perfect temp, a little breeze kept it cooler. We were off the water by 9am. There was a pretty good hatch going on right at sunup, but as usual, Cowboy forgot flies. Something was surfacing like crazy for them, but couldn't hook anything. Very strange fishing year, but we will persevere. It's been awhile since we've done a video, I know you've missed us, so hear you go....

https://youtu.be/976iE1xSLBI

[Image: 2021-07-15-Echo.jpg]
Congrats on the crappie.

The "morning rise" was mostly small perch and smallies feeding on baby perch...not bugs.
(07-16-2021, 12:52 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Congrats Cookie, that was a fine looking crappie and the big bass was a nice one too, how long would you guess they were? What is up with Cowboy and the bathroom part to ending his video Undecided

The largest bass was probably 9inches. We caught some that were closer to 6. My crappie was probably 9 or 10inches. I don't know what Cowboy was thinking when he invaded my shower time. I quit asking a long time ago what goes through his head. It is safer that way  Wink
Wiperhunter2

At the risk of starting a conversation that I will have to moderate - cookie measures small - dont take the bait I just offered - please ----

I used the photo she posted in the BFT Grand Slam contest for this crappie that has her tag in the photo. The tag is 6" I just checked it.

Based on that her crappie is 14-16 inches long. You can check the photo from the contest and see if I am doing that wrong

Her bass were also bigger, but I dont have a reference to measure them by. No pigs but not dinks either. We did catch dinks also but did not put in the video.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice Crappie for Echo, nice work!!
time spent fishing isn't deducted from ones life
(07-17-2021, 02:37 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Wiperhunter2

At the risk of starting a conversation that I will have to moderate - cookie measures small - dont take the bait I just offered - please ----

I used the photo she posted in the BFT Grand Slam contest for this crappie that has her tag in the photo. The tag is 6" I just checked it.

Based on that her crappie is 14-16 inches long. You can check the photo from the contest and see if I am doing that wrong

Her bass were also bigger, but I dont have a reference to measure them by. No pigs but not dinks either. We did catch dinks also but did not put in the video.

LOL, I thought that size she quoted seemed a little off. Just from the looks of it, I was thinking at least 12" for the crappie and 14" for the bass. I know it's all about the fun of getting out together but you might want to consider taking along a small bump board, even one that was only 16" would work for pan fish, especially when catching those bigger ones. Then the hard part would be trying to get her to use it, lol.