Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strawberry 7-15, and no Boat Stink
Well, I said I'd try it today and report....Very few Strawberry reports lately, so that should tell you something...But we went...lines in water 0615, AFTER I had first used my disposable gloves for all motor/gas connections and then washed good with the 50/50 mix of Cleaning Vinegar/water, with a few drops of dawn soap...I do believe this helped today....Tally??...My buddy's side, 1 cutty and 1 medium koke...My side, 10 cutts and 1 medium koke....Like most everyone else, we weren't trying for the cutts, but on (another) day when kokes didn't seem to be there, or willing to bite, I was glad to be catching these cutts...My 'Hot' side of the boat? or his 'Cool' side of the boat? I don't know..fishing the same approximate depth (32 to 41'), both using scents on lures, corn for tipping the assasins, hoochies, squids, or X-skull flies that we used...SO...I'll chalk up my better results (at least today) on the additional attention to hand cleaning, BEFORE handling any fishing gear...and maybe from getting a bit more fish slime on my hands from a couple that went on ice.....Windy conditions this morning, but not terrible...fish showing all over the water column, 25 to 60'...mostly showing around 40', but the 2 kokes we got were at 32 and 35...Not a super day fishing, at least for kokes, but always great to be on the water....Guluk..
Nicely done Joe, cutts are very reliable at the Berry to keep the other stink out of the boat. Half the time you don't know when one hits and gets dragged around for a while. I took a week off to shore up some chores around the house but ready to get back up to the Berry next week to beat the furnace here in the valley.  Wink
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
The only smell I get on my hands is sunscreen, but it doesn't seem to bother the fish. Try spraying a bit of WD40 on your hands. Easy.
Single main, no kicker. Wink
Lots of years ago I heard of using WD40 on your lures...never tried it, but hey..maybe it should work on hands also....What I used yesterday seemed to work fine..
Bduck -- hope to 'run into' you again one of these days at the Berry..think that's where we chatted briefly at the ramp last year...I'd like to get up there again next week (Thurs. are my day to try), but longer range weather saying maybe monsoons making it up North next week...I'll keep watching the weather news....
(07-16-2021, 04:58 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Well, I said I'd try it today and report....Very few Strawberry reports lately, so that should tell you something...But we went...lines in water 0615, AFTER I had first used my disposable gloves for all motor/gas connections and then washed good with the 50/50 mix of Cleaning Vinegar/water, with a few drops of dawn soap...I do believe this helped today....Tally??...My buddy's side, 1 cutty and 1 medium koke...My side, 10 cutts and 1 medium koke....Like most everyone else, we weren't trying for the cutts, but on (another) day when kokes didn't seem to be there, or willing to bite, I was glad to be catching these cutts...My 'Hot' side of the boat? or his 'Cool' side of the boat? I don't know..fishing the same approximate depth (32 to 41'), both using scents on lures, corn for tipping the assasins, hoochies, squids, or X-skull flies that we used...SO...I'll chalk up my better results (at least today) on the additional attention to hand cleaning, BEFORE handling any fishing gear...and maybe from getting a bit more fish slime on my hands from a couple that went on ice.....Windy conditions this morning, but not terrible...fish showing all over the water column, 25 to 60'...mostly showing around 40', but the 2 kokes we got were at 32 and 35...Not a super day fishing, at least for kokes, but always great to be on the water....Guluk..

Good going Joe. Glad you had a good day. Vi says se catches more than me because she uses gloves to bait up. (most times) Looks like I will not be getting out for another week, that's two weeks in a row. I can't stand it!

rj
(07-16-2021, 10:47 PM)r2u2 Wrote:
(07-16-2021, 04:58 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Well, I said I'd try it today and report....Very few Strawberry reports lately, so that should tell you something...But we went...lines in water 0615, AFTER I had first used my disposable gloves for all motor/gas connections and then washed good with the 50/50 mix of Cleaning Vinegar/water, with a few drops of dawn soap...I do believe this helped today....Tally??...My buddy's side, 1 cutty and 1 medium koke...My side, 10 cutts and 1 medium koke....Like most everyone else, we weren't trying for the cutts, but on (another) day when kokes didn't seem to be there, or willing to bite, I was glad to be catching these cutts...My 'Hot' side of the boat? or his 'Cool' side of the boat? I don't know..fishing the same approximate depth (32 to 41'), both using scents on lures, corn for tipping the assasins, hoochies, squids, or X-skull flies that we used...SO...I'll chalk up my better results (at least today) on the additional attention to hand cleaning, BEFORE handling any fishing gear...and maybe from getting a bit more fish slime on my hands from a couple that went on ice.....Windy conditions this morning, but not terrible...fish showing all over the water column, 25 to 60'...mostly showing around 40', but the 2 kokes we got were at 32 and 35...Not a super day fishing, at least for kokes, but always great to be on the water....Guluk..

Good going Joe. Glad you had a good day. Vi says se catches more than me because she uses gloves to bait up. (most times) Looks like I will not be getting out for another week, that's two weeks in a row. I can't stand it!
Hey Rich........Yeah, I miss your catfish reports..especially when your Mrs. is outfishing you....hope you make it out soon..like the old saying goes...'Seven days without fishing'....you know the rest....Guluk....
rj