Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pineview/Causey upgrades a comin'
Here are a couple of interesting 'Great American Outdoor Act' projects that may be of interest to folks who like to fish.  For 2021, there are projects at Pineview and Causey; just 2 of the dozens in Utah alone.

The Pineview project is a Reservoir Recreation Complex Reconstruction - Phase 2.  It is described as a comprehensive public/private partnership to reduce deferred maintenance at 16 developed recreation sites, trails and access and provide sustainable recreation of Pineview Reservoir.  Reconstruction will focus on day-use facilities including picnic areas, parking lots, restroom facilities, water/waste water systems, trails, roads, and signage that will improve the visitor experience connecting them with the landscape and bring consistency to reservoir management. The Forest recognizes the challenge of increased use and has developed The Pineview Working Group that includes Utah Recreation Company, Weber County & Sheriff, The Trails Foundation of Northern Utah, Town of Huntsville, Utah Department of Transportation, the Utah Division of Natural Resources, Bureau of Reclamation, Weber Basin Water Conservancy District, Pineview Yacht Club, Club Rec, and private citizens.  There is no mention of fixing or replacing the launch ramp at Port Ramp.

The Causey project This is a Causey Parking, Boat Ramp, and Restroom Restoration.  It is described as a comprehensive public/private partnership to reduce deferred maintenance at developed recreation sites, roads and trails and provide sustainable recreation at Causey Reservoir.  This project consists of constructing a concrete boat ramp, aggregate parking, and vault toilet installation. The construction of the parking area will include earthwork, aggregate compaction, final site grading, and the installation of barrier rocks, and signs. The project will improve the visitor experience and bring consistency to reservoir management.  The Forest recognizes the challenge of increased use and has developed a stakeholders group that has completed a plan and design of facilities around the reservoir.  Partners include Weber County, Weber Sheriff, and Utah Division of Natural Resources, and the Federal Highway Administration.

While these are both listed as 2021 projects, there are no timelines mentioned in the listing.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
That Causey project is long overdue and IMO will be well received by a lot of people, me being one of them. I'm guessing it does not give a lot of detail about where the ramp will be located but I can only think of one likely location, by Causey estates. If that is the location, it will require a lot work to accomplish this task and a lot of concrete to reach the water but what better year to start a project like this than a low water year like this. I just hope they put it all the way down to the water as far as they can go. Because of the limited space in this location, the next big obstacle, would be taking out a huge area of the hill side there for a parking area and it will be interesting to see how big they make it but any expansion would be helpful. IMO the only other location for the ramp would be on the Boy scout camp side of the lake, there is more room there but there is an active flowing steam there, so that creates more issue but I guess we will see. Thanks for posting this great info Bob.
Looks like it will be by Causey estates:
https://www.standard.net/news/government...b06aa.html
Decided to take a drive up to Causey, to check out the new boat launch location. We got there around 10:30 am and wow was that place packed. I normally only fish there during the ice fishing season, so I haven't been past the dam area for many years. I was really surprised when I got around the corner and started up the hill after the dam and saw a good sized parking area.

[Image: causeyparkinglot.jpg]

I continued on up to where the new launch will be and took a couple of pics there, all I can say is it is going to take a lot concrete and it isn't even to the lowest I have seen it yet.

[Image: causeyskullcreeklaunch2.jpg]

[Image: causeyskullcreeklaunch.jpg]

Got back down to the dam and took two more pic to show how low it is, I've seen it 20 to 30 ft lower in years past.

[Image: causeydam.jpg]

[Image: causeydam2.jpg]
Thanks for the great information, Bob.
It's nice to see them putting some money back into the places that need to be improved, especially since there are so many more folks recreating outside now.

We'll have to see if they start anything on Lost Creek this year.  I know they have a larger boat ramp planned at some point in time.
(07-18-2021, 09:23 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the great information, Bob.
It's nice to see them putting some money back into the places that need to be improved, especially since there are so many more folks recreating outside now.

We'll have to see if they start anything on Lost Creek this year.  I know they have a larger boat ramp planned at some point in time.

I'm not sure about Lost Creek.  It wasn't in the list and I think it is because it is a Bureau of Reclamation project, not a USFS project.  
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(07-19-2021, 12:25 AM)dubob Wrote:
(07-18-2021, 09:23 PM)gofish435 Wrote: Thanks for the great information, Bob.

I'm not sure about Lost Creek.  It wasn't in the list and I think it is because it is a Bureau of Reclamation project, not a USFS project.  

Lost Creek is a new State Park again so it will be interesting to see what kind of changes they make there.

It sure helps that the road is in much better shape now.
Definition of Private/Public is that public property will be managed by private partners in it for profit. Be ready for price increases even though sportsman pay specific taxes on our equipment that is supposed to pay for these kinds of projects.
(07-19-2021, 11:49 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Definition of Private/Public is that public property will be managed by private partners in it for profit. Be ready for price increases even though sportsman pay specific taxes on our equipment that is supposed to pay for these kinds of projects.
I'm not sure that applies to a Utah State Park like it does to Federal properties.  Strawberry & Pineview (both Federal) are managed by a concessionaire and their use fees are obscene in my opinion.  I don't know of any Utah State Parks that are managed by a concessionaire.  State Parks do have hosts that work the gates and provide park maintenance dutys, but they are volunteers that only get free RV space for their service.  They don't work for a concessionaire and have no impact on park user fees - as far as I know.  If you are aware of something different, please share that with us.  I'm always willing to learn that which I do not know.
   Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
(07-19-2021, 01:45 PM)dubob Wrote:
(07-19-2021, 11:49 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: Definition of Private/Public is that public property will be managed by private partners in it for profit. Be ready for price increases even though sportsman pay specific taxes on our equipment that is supposed to pay for these kinds of projects.
I'm not sure that applies to a Utah State Park like it does to Federal properties.  Strawberry & Pineview (both Federal) are managed by a concessionaire and their use fees are obscene in my opinion.  I don't know of any Utah State Parks that are managed by a concessionaire.  State Parks do have hosts that work the gates and provide park maintenance dutys, but they are volunteers that only get free RV space for their service.  They don't work for a concessionaire and have no impact on park user fees - as far as I know.  If you are aware of something different, please share that with us.  I'm always willing to learn that which I do not know.
   Smile
Yes, I was referring to federal properties.  I never mentioned state parks at all.  Neither of these projects are state, hence they should be fully funded through Dingell/Johnson and Wallop/Breaux but I speculate (and take that for what it is worth) that we will see fee increases at PV and a user fee implemented at Causey.  Maybe not, but if the past is an indicator there will be charges in order to pay for the services provided by any "private" partner.
I do note that there is no private entity mentioned in the Causey description so maybe not. I also noted that the partner, Utah recreation Company is also the "working group member" that runs all of the Strawberry and Pineview operations.
(07-19-2021, 04:46 PM)Gone Forever Wrote: Yes, I was referring to federal properties.  I never mentioned state parks at all.  Neither of these projects are state, hence they should be fully funded through Dingell/Johnson and Wallop/Breaux but I speculate (and take that for what it is worth) that we will see fee increases at PV and a user fee implemented at Causey.  Maybe not, but if the past is an indicator there will be charges in order to pay for the services provided by any "private" partner.
I do note that there is no private entity mentioned in the Causey description so maybe not.

Pineview has some of the highest fees in the state already, so I'm not sure how much higher they could go but we will see. As far as Causey goes and the amount of traffic I saw there on Sunday, when I was up there, I think some sort of fee would be a good idea and it is one that I would support as long as it does not get crazy expensive like PV.
This makes me long for MN - never a launch fee, plenty of access and public land up to the high water mark. No fee for entering state parks either unless you wanted to camp. Everything was well maintained by the state/DNR. State taxes are higher than UT but you could see you were getting something for the money. The "private" partner aspect makes no sense to me. Look at the Minersville situation where the county runs a park and charges use fees that make sense. That park pays for itself and the amenities are better than Pineview or the Berry.
I don't think that the folks driving 50K worth of truck pulling a 80K wake boat will care what it costs. They burn a $100 every time the boat leaves the driveway anyway, what's another $20?
Now me, in my little tin boat with 6hp? I am going where my $50 yearly pass is all I need.
(07-20-2021, 12:49 AM)Gone Forever Wrote: I don't think that the folks driving 50K worth of truck pulling a 80K wake boat will care what it costs.  They burn a $100 every time the boat leaves the driveway anyway, what's another $20?
Now me, in my little tin boat with 6hp?  I am going where my $50 yearly pass is all I need.

I hear you but since I don't fish at PV during the pay season anyway, it won't have any impact on me. I just figured they would not raise the price too much but since I don't go the now, if the do raise it, that's fine by me.