Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Could use some suggestions
My Grandson is begging me to take him fishing next weekend.  
Would like to get him into any kind of fish but we are limited to shore.
Haven't seen many reports for shore angling.
We are in North Davis County, Clearfield area.
He has been spending most days at Steeds pond and has caught one bluegill.
I took him out to the Bear on the Refuge and got him into 4 12 inch cats.
PM would almost be preferred.

Thanks in advance.
Bryce Lowder
I do what the voices in my wife's head tell me to.
The roadside lakes along the Mirror Lake highway would be a good place to go. Plus it would be refreshing to feel the cooler temps up there. The DWR usually plant fish about every two weeks.
Thanks.
Bryce Lowder
(07-18-2021, 07:00 PM)lovetofish Wrote: The roadside lakes along the Mirror Lake highway would be a good place to go. Plus it would be refreshing to feel the cooler temps up there. The DWR usually plant fish about every two weeks.

That was also going to be my recommendation...
Sent you a PM, but not sure you rec'd, so here goes ---- Take him to Echo.  Right side (N) of the ramp about 500 yds best for me, where the bank starts to steepen.  Best bet is a TRD Ned Rig.  4" Yamamoto grubs & kuttails in earth tones also hooking smallies.  11-14"ers 
providing some nice action a long cast away by slow-dragging back to shore.  Can't beat it.  Plus, you park right down at water's edge
and you've got the sun at your back in those early hours.
Hope this helps.  Let me know how you do.
(07-20-2021, 12:06 AM)perchinski Wrote: Sent you a PM, but not sure you rec'd, so here goes ---- Take him to Echo.  Right side (N) of the ramp about 500 yds best for me, where the bank starts to steepen.  Best bet is a TRD Ned Rig.  4" Yamamoto grubs & kuttails in earth tones also hooking smallies.  11-14"ers 
providing some nice action a long cast away by slow-dragging back to shore.  Can't beat it.  Plus, you park right down at water's edge
and you've got the sun at your back in those early hours.
Hope this helps.  Let me know how you do.

Yes I rec'd it.  thanks for the info.  Fish Echo a lot during the ice season but not much during the summer.

Thanks for the suggestions about the Mirror Lake highway.  I am more than ready to get up there but my Grandson doesn't do well with long car rides.  My brother just got back from a weekend at Lost Lake and said the fishing wasn't horrible for planters.
Bryce Lowder
Millhollow is a great spot for fast catching fr shore with flies, spinners, worms, powerbait.
Bryce,  have you ever tried the Smith Family Park ?  
Across the road from Smith & Edwards, left side of road just after going over the canal bridge. 
Usually fair fishing. Pond is at the very bottom of the road, good parking, restrooms, and if kids get board,
park has lots of grass, playground equipment, etc.  Not a long drive from North Davis. (I live in Clearfield also) . 

Go early, tends to get busy, crowded on weekends.

[Image: 01-Smith-Family-Park-and-Pond.jpg]    [Image: 03-Play-Ground.jpg]   [Image: 010-Pond-restroom.jpg]   [Image: 015-16-Sept-2018.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
(07-20-2021, 05:06 PM)Tin-Can Wrote: Bryce,  have you ever tried the Smith Family Park ?  
Across the road from Smith & Edwards, left side of road just after going over the canal bridge. 
Usually fair fishing. Pond is at the very bottom of the road, good parking, restrooms, and if kids get board,
park has lots of grass, playground equipment, etc.  Not a long drive from North Davis. (I live in Clearfield also) . 

Go early, tends to get busy, crowded on weekends.

[Image: 01-Smith-Family-Park-and-Pond.jpg]    [Image: 03-Play-Ground.jpg]   [Image: 010-Pond-restroom.jpg]   [Image: 015-16-Sept-2018.jpg]

Yes we tried it for about an hour on our way home from fishing the Bear a couple weeks ago.  Tried worms, power bait and lures but didn't get any bites.
Thanks Forrest
Bryce Lowder