Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So So at Echo 7-22-21
Made a return trip to Echo.  Only 3 species today and no catfish or walleye.

Launched off the end of the access road north of the main park entrance...close to where the rocky shoreline begins.  Easy launch.  Air temp 70 at 7 am launch...and 83 at pre-noon departure.  Water temp 72-73.  Only light breezes at times and flat glass mostly.  No boats on the lake at all, but a growing number of yaks, paddle boards and other small play craft as temps warmed and people started lining the shoreline.

Started small...trying to find some decent perch and maybe a crappie or two.  All I got were some indecent dink perch...%$@& little bait stealers.  I did have one nice crappie hooked but he arranged for his own early release before I could get him to the net. 

After that I began working through a series of larger smallie type lures...plastics, marabous and cranks.  Got some smallies but they were all "under-footers".  But the ones I got were porky.  They been eating good on the crawdads being displaced by the falling water levels.

The highlight (or low point) of the morning was when I made my first cast with a 3" green plastic with orange flakes.  I pitched it close to shore and just started working it back in when I got a CHOMP.  Set the hook into something substantial and got a couple of good headshakes.  Ha.  A nice smallie thinks I.  And then it put the line over its shoulder and ran off about 25 yards of line.  Oh joy.  Another carp.  But it was a fun 10 minutes until I put the undersized net under that 24" beast.  Musta weighed about 10 pounds.  Took its picture and released it unharmed.  Didn't give it a complimentary gillectomy but I din't kiss it either.

It was getting warmish by 11 and the slow fishing got even slower.  No sounds of power squadron but a growing cacophony of shrill voices from the growing crowd of  fellow water recreators.  So I departed.

Latest intel is that when they close the lake it will include everything associated with the main park.  The ramp is already closed but the complete closure will also include all shoreline access and public use.  There is to be a meeting August 4 to finalize details.  Limited access to the shoreline will be allowed from the new campground, but as I was leaving I noted that the lake water ends at least 1/4 mile from the campground.  And it ain't likely to get better before it gets worse.  In short, no boats can possibly launch until the projected reopening about May of next year.
I was there on Monday and only caught a few Bass. Your right they can sure pick a worm off faster than you can set the hook. I noticed a lot of carp on the surface when I was leaving at 11:00. I'm heading back up tomorrow. If I get any Bass I might keep a couple for some tacos.
(07-22-2021, 10:04 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I was there on Monday and only caught a few Bass. Your right they can sure pick a worm off faster than you can set the hook. I noticed a lot of carp on the surface when I was leaving at 11:00. I'm heading back up tomorrow. If I get any Bass I might keep a couple for some tacos.
I also noticed a lot of carp on the surface...all over the lake.  A guy with a fly rod could probably have some fun.  The one I caught really slurped that plastic and he stretched my string.

I was going to keep some small ones today but since we already had our menu planned for the next couple of days I released them all.  Probably should thin the herd a bit.  And anything over 9 or 10 inches gives up good taco size fillets.
I always cut the line when I get a carp up to the boat. I've kissed hundreds of kitties on the lips when I turned them loose. Even I have a line I won't cross.
(07-22-2021, 11:56 PM)FatBiker Wrote: I always cut the line when I get a carp up to the boat.  I've kissed hundreds of kitties on the lips when I turned them loose. Even I have a line I won't cross.

I used to have scruples.  But then I got vaccinated.
Well at least you got out and had some good tugs, too bad the crappie did not get with the program to give you that 4th species.
That looks like a fun location to fish while the beach access is open anyway... Thanks for the report
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(07-23-2021, 02:36 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Well at least you got out and had some good tugs, too bad the crappie did not get with the program to give you that 4th species.
I saw quite a few suspended "marks" that could have been crappies.  And the one I hooked came from slowly retrieving some small jigs up through a cluster of such marks.  But that was the only hit I got like that.

(07-23-2021, 11:59 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: That looks like a fun location to fish while the beach access is open anyway... Thanks for the report
During this summer heat it is definitely a nice option.  But the fishing is not as stellar as it might be.  Last year...in the higher water...there was some inshore flooded brush that attracted hordes of baby perch...and lots of larger perch and smallies.  No inshore structure at all this year so the fish are more scattered and harder to find.  I think I have made my last trip to Echo for this year.
Sadly, Pat, I think many of us may be done for the year. Either our favorite lakes are un-launchable, or the power squadron has concentrated on the few lakes that are open, making fishing impossible. August is usually a poor fishing month, besides. It has been for me, anyway.

Trout and koke guys may have some fishing time left. Ditto for you micro-craft folks. The rest of us, no.
(07-23-2021, 03:15 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: Sadly, Pat, I think many of us may be done for the year. Either our favorite lakes are un-launchable, or the power squadron has concentrated on the few lakes that are open, making fishing impossible. August is usually a poor fishing month, besides. It has been for me, anyway.

Trout and koke guys may have some fishing time left. Ditto for you micro-craft folks. The rest of us, no.

Yea verily.  August is usually not a prime time for piscatorial pursuits.  In this year of abysmal drought conditions it is made even worse by the low water conditions.  It is a two-sided coin.  The dwindling water might tend to concentrate the fish population, but it also concentrates the power squadron.  And those two concentrations do not combine well.

The age-old question posed by motivational speakers is "Are you going to WAIT for something good to happen...or should you MAKE something happen?"  Definitely applicable to fishing.  If we arbitrarily make the choice to give up fishing if we can't indulge in our single favorite type of fishing...then we arbitrarily choose to give up chances to find something new that we might also enjoy.

I'm not suggesting that hardcore kokeaholics put away their boats and downriggers at the end of koke season...and start soaking catfish bait.  But there really are a lot of fun ways of fishing that most anglers never explore.  If nothing else, it might be a good time to learn some new tackle crafting techniques...rod building, fly tying, lure making, etc.  Those all help keep me off the streets and out of trouble when I can't be fishing.  At least my wife still believes that.
RockyRaab2 Wrote:Sadly, Pat, I think many of us may be done for the year. Either our favorite lakes are un-launchable, or the power squadron has concentrated on the few lakes that are open, making fishing impossible. August is usually a poor fishing month, besides. It has been for me, anyway.

You will miss out on some of the best fishing of the year. Trout fishing might not be your forte but it's hard to beat the action you can get at lakes like Strawberry during the fall months. Granted 90% of the fish you will catch will be in the slot limit but the amount of action and numbers caught far out number the days of not fishing at all.

I don't totally limit my fishing for trout. I just like fishing, be it warm or cold water fish. Athough there is one fish I have no desire to fish for and that being catfish. I got burned out fishing for them as a kid with my dad. However, I do enjoy eating them. I'm still after the elusive Crappie which continues to haunt me but I'm still trying. Maybe this year.
It's a dilemma for me. I have a brand new boat that I really enjoy using, but dread the thought of damaging it due to low water conditions. Then there's the idea of driving all the way to Strawberry for fish I can't keep and wouldn't enjoy eating if I could. Frankly, I'd rather risk the Mantua Mafia and catch bluegill than pay the confiscatory launch fees at the Berry knowing I'd come home empty-handed. I am not a catch and release guy who only fishes for the tugs. I enjoy the tugs, but my childhood taught me that fishing is primarily a food gathering task. Let me put those years into perspective: we sought out and ate carp.
I find myself, often, in Aug, with flyrod in hand participating in "hopper" season. The plus is a bit better temp than the lower lakes. And if I am going to eat trout, a brookie over a campfire is " good eats" at least that is what my Dad said.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(07-22-2021, 11:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 10:04 PM)lovetofish Wrote: I was there on Monday and only caught a few Bass. Your right they can sure pick a worm off faster than you can set the hook. I noticed a lot of carp on the surface when I was leaving at 11:00. I'm heading back up tomorrow. If I get any Bass I might keep a couple for some tacos.
I also noticed a lot of carp on the surface...all over the lake.  A guy with a fly rod could probably have some fun.  The one I caught really slurped that plastic and he stretched my string.

well yeah
[Image: SavedImage_0723211050b_(1).jpg?width=192...fit=bounds]

t[Image: IMG_8311_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
Thanks fer the info
figured id take the god and throw the tupperwhare mothership in while we still could
gittin low
[Image: IMG_8297_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
got in around 8 a couple dual axeled trailered  wave makers still able to launch
The traditional waterskier boats dont bug me especially if ya aint thunder basing autotoned crap music
As a skier i can relate and respect skill and scantily clad athletic chicks with and displayin it dont hurt my eyes
kneel boarding off the back of a jet ski or the surf wave shizz not so much
i doubt many of em could actually paddle into, stand up and catch a real wave
which takes real skills imo
threw the fullsink and big articulated junk the 1st hour or so for the skunk with a few small bass follows and taps till the sun got high enough to give me vis with the high cloud handicap
rowed down into the shallows at the weeb inlet hoping i could find bottom contrast and cruising poopers
nobody home
bout 10 or so they started showing up mid res
a good mix of pods doubles and a few singles
didnt see any or many over 30
bout 1/2 were in the top foot of the water column
the rest aggravatingly deeper to the point of not being able to see the eat or needing to throw a big enough lead to git a weightless fly down to em
or throw a weighted fly and hope the plop dont make em stop being happy
missed more thans i stuck theyll spit that fly quick and sometimes change directions hoover but not eat
probably shouda went down to 2x
but got a few
[Image: IMG_8308_(2).JPG?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
bout noon the winds cranked up chopped up the water and they pretty much all disappeared
i aint gots no plans on puttin down my whippy stick till it all freezes again and its time to slide down snow covered mountains
its what we do
and it distinguishes us from the rest of the lebowskis
much like a newfy's gonna newf
[Image: gr065.jpg?width=1920&height=1080&fit=bounds]
Tongue
"I have found I have had my reward
In the doing of the thing" Halden Buzz Holmstrom
(07-24-2021, 03:19 PM)fishskibum Wrote:
(07-22-2021, 11:16 PM)TubeDude Wrote:

well yeah

Thanks fer the info
figured id take the god and throw the tupperwhare mothership in while we still could
gittin low

got in around 8 a couple dual axeled trailered  wave makers still able to launch
The traditional waterskier boats dont bug me especially if ya aint thunder basing autotoned crap music
As a skier i can relate and respect skill and scantily clad athletic chicks with and displayin it dont hurt my eyes
kneel boarding off the back of a jet ski or the surf wave shizz not so much
i doubt many of em could actually paddle into, stand up and catch a real wave
which takes real skills imo
threw the fullsink and big articulated junk the 1st hour or so for the skunk with a few small bass follows and taps till the sun got high enough to give me vis with the high cloud handicap
rowed down into the shallows at the weeb inlet hoping i could find bottom contrast and cruising poopers
nobody home
bout 10 or so they started showing up mid res
a good mix of pods doubles and a few singles
didnt see any or many over 30
bout 1/2 were in the top foot of the water column
the rest aggravatingly deeper to the point of not being able to see the eat or needing to throw a big enough lead to git a weightless fly down to em
or throw a weighted fly and hope the plop dont make em stop being happy
missed more thans i stuck theyll spit that fly quick and sometimes change directions hoover but not eat
probably shouda went down to 2x
but got a few

bout noon the winds cranked up chopped up the water and they pretty much all disappeared
i aint gots no plans on puttin down my whippy stick till it all freezes again and its time to slide down snow covered mountains
its what we do
and it distinguishes us from the rest of the lebowskis
much like a newfy's gonna newf

Tongue
Yeah, I was thinking of you when I wrote that.  Glad to see you picked up on it and got at least some reward for your efforts.  Echo has a lot of carp but not as many really big ones as some other waters.  Still, doesn't take one of much size to put a good bend in the whippy stick.
(07-24-2021, 12:28 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It's a dilemma for me. I have a brand new boat that I really enjoy using, but dread the thought of damaging it due to low water conditions. Then there's the idea of driving all the way to Strawberry for fish I can't keep and wouldn't enjoy eating if I could. Frankly, I'd rather risk the Mantua Mafia and catch bluegill than pay the confiscatory launch fees at the Berry knowing I'd come home empty-handed. I am not a catch and release guy who only fishes for the tugs. I enjoy the tugs, but my childhood taught me that fishing is primarily a food gathering task. Let me put those years into perspective: we sought out and ate carp.
I like to fish for all types of species, but In the end I like to eat fish as well.  There are days I do the catch and release thing, but most trips involve putting a bag of ice in the cooler to cool down those fish I plan on taking home. Bass, panfish, walleye, wipers, cats both channel and bullhead, then the trout and kokes.  They all grace the table at my house. I grew up eating trout and still enjoy it, only hate the pin bones.
This will be a great opportunity to learn the shore line and structures. I'm going to visit several bodies to take pictures.
(07-24-2021, 04:55 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 12:28 PM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: It's a dilemma for me. I have a brand new boat that I really enjoy using, but dread the thought of damaging it due to low water conditions. Then there's the idea of driving all the way to Strawberry for fish I can't keep and wouldn't enjoy eating if I could. Frankly, I'd rather risk the Mantua Mafia and catch bluegill than pay the confiscatory launch fees at the Berry knowing I'd come home empty-handed. I am not a catch and release guy who only fishes for the tugs. I enjoy the tugs, but my childhood taught me that fishing is primarily a food gathering task. Let me put those years into perspective: we sought out and ate carp.
I like to fish for all types of species, but In the end I like to eat fish as well.  There are days I do the catch and release thing, but most trips involve putting a bag of ice in the cooler to cool down those fish I plan on taking home. Bass, panfish, walleye, wipers, cats both channel and bullhead, then the trout and kokes.  They all grace the table at my house. I grew up eating trout and still enjoy it, only hate the pin bones.
I know not a lot of folks bottle fish anymore but it's the best way to deal with those small pin bones in trout and kokanee. We started doing it for the kokes we catch over three years ago now and it was the best thing I have ever done for preserving fish, especially kokes. I prefer smoking them first, to give them that nice smoky flavor, so when you do that, no other spices are required. I found out smoking walleye and other warm water fish does not work out so well, so seasoning is required for them but it's not too hard and it's much better than freezing the fillets, even if you vacuum pack them.
(07-24-2021, 05:14 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(07-24-2021, 04:55 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote:
I know not a lot of folks bottle fish anymore but it's the best way to deal with those small pin bones in trout and kokanee. We started doing it for the kokes we catch over three years ago now and it was the best thing I have ever done for preserving fish, especially kokes. I prefer smoking them first, to give them that nice smoky flavor, so when you do that, no other spices are required. I found out smoking walleye and other warm water fish does not work out so well, so seasoning is required for them but it's not too hard and it's much better than freezing the fillets, even if you vacuum pack them.
Good idea.  I've heard from others that they do this as well.  I'm going to have to try it.  I pressure can a big portion of my deer and elk and it turns out great.  My wife doesn't care for venison very much, but will eat the bottled stuff with no complaints.  She says it tastes like a very tender beef roast, and she is right.  It falls apart, is not gamey, and is very tasty.  I will eat it right out of the bottle. We make tacos, stews, chimichangas, enchiladas, burritos, etc. and it all is very good as well.  How do you use your bottled fish?
(07-24-2021, 04:55 PM)Jig-fisher Wrote: I like to fish for all types of species, but In the end I like to eat fish as well.  There are days I do the catch and release thing, but most trips involve putting a bag of ice in the cooler to cool down those fish I plan on taking home. Bass, panfish, walleye, wipers, cats both channel and bullhead, then the trout and kokes.  They all grace the table at my house. I grew up eating trout and still enjoy it, only hate the pin bones.
I'm witchoo.  I'm multi-tackle and multi-species...and I do usually keep a few for the table.

I also grew up eating trout...as a kid in Idaho.  And I too hated the little flesh bones...until I learned the way of the fillet knife.  Now I fillet any trout I keep...even down to footlongs.  And with a couple of cuts alongside the row of pin bones I can lift them out and not worry about getting any myself...or effecting any kids or other folks who might be dining on my fish.

Here's a little pictorial PDF file I put together a long time ago on some tiger trout from Huntington (Mammoth) that shows the deboning process.

Attached Files
.pdf   TROUT FILLETING.pdf (Size: 1.29 MB / Downloads: 15)