Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cookie gets the big one
I think cookie forgot to post this...

Trip to the Uintas last week for a few days. In and out before the holiday rush. No to bad a crowd early in the week. We were up toward Gold Hill.  I had plans to do a bit of panning with some new gear but in my rush all my gold gear was left sitting on the car port. Good thing I did not forget our fishing gear.

As always she had to try Whitney. Loaded up on rainbows and Tigers with Jake's, Meps, fly and bubble and stinky power bait.

Then we tried our hand a a few creeks. Picked up a few on the normal flies: elk hair caddis, renegade, and bead head nymph. No luck on Hopper patters yet - but soon.

Busted my St Croix UL on the trip. Buckwheats wheelchair came loose and smashed into my rod bag. Fortunately it was my two piece and St Croix had a replacement they are sending.

Oh and the big one - see photo of Cookie catching trout candy 

No video - shot a ton of footage but just did not like it. Rockport and Willard are next

[Image: 20210721-160213-0.jpg]
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Sounds like you had a great time up in de mountains...except for your busted rod...My 7'6" St. Croix is one of my favorite trolling rods, have had it for about 7 years, and it gets alot of use...may be in the market for another one....I haven't heard of Gold Hill...is that the name of a res. up there, or a mnt. top?..
(07-27-2021, 05:13 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Sounds like you had a great time up in de mountains...except for your busted rod...My 7'6" St. Croix is one of my favorite trolling rods, have had it for about 7 years, and it gets alot of use...may be in the market for another one....I haven't heard of Gold Hill...is that the name of a res. up there, or a mnt. top?..

Gold Hill is up by Whitney on the Mill City Creek Road. 

Post edit ...its a mt, not a lake
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Nice going cookie, what species is that monster?
Looks like a goby! Cool fish to catch! We use to get them in hobble creek alot
(07-27-2021, 01:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice going cookie, what species is that monster?

We call them sculpin. When I was a kid I called em bullheads and my older brother told me they were deadly poisonous- great to have older brothers guide your outdoor education  Undecided
(07-27-2021, 03:03 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote:
(07-27-2021, 01:04 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Nice going cookie, what species is that monster?

We call them sculpin. When I was a kid I called em bullheads and my older brother told me they were deadly poisonous- great to have older brothers guide your outdoor education  Undecided

I've caught them before from the weber river, just never seen on that small, plus that one appears to have bars/stripes like a perch, so I wasn't sure what it was.
Back 100 years ago my father and I used to catch them (not on purpose) on the Weber and we always called them Bullheads.
Hey Cookie/Cowboy, sounds like a great trip!  Awesome to catch an unusual species. 

Did you see any meese up in that area?  Catchinon and I used to see them in there around the beaver ponds off the Gold Hill road when we were elk hunting.

jack of all tackle, master of none