Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smokey day at East canyon
Ira and I got up to EC today to a smokey sunrise.

[Image: EC-smoky-sunrise.jpg]
Here is some ramp pics

[Image: East-Canyon-Ramp.jpg]

[Image: East-canyon-ramp2.jpg]

And one of the dam

[Image: EC-dam.jpg]

We were hoping to catch some kokes but it did not happen, we did however catch a good number of nice bows between 14 and 16". As much as they were jumping, you would think they were part koke. We were on the water by 6:30 am and off by 12:30. Water temp was 69 to 70 degrees.
We were seeing some strange marks on the finder, that went on for over a mile, at first we thought they were minnow but there is no way there could be that many, in some areas there was two layers of these marks.

[Image: strange-finder-pics.jpg]

[Image: strange-finder-pics2.jpg]
I did not take the pics until the image was almost off the screen, so I only got the tail end of them.
Tks for post and pics...those marks look to be way down, around 100' or more?? Carpus Gigantus? Megaladon's offspring? Any problems launching or retrieving boat?
How deep did you have your down rigger?  Those marks on the finder seem to be at about 75'.

Thanks for your report,
(08-11-2021, 04:56 AM)Jmorfish Wrote: Tks for post and pics...those marks look to be way down, around 100' or more?? Carpus Gigantus? Megaladon's offspring?  Any problems launching or retrieving boat?

No problem, yes they were way deeper that I would have thought any bait fish would be and although the pics don't show it, they went one for a very long ways and they did change depth. In the back of the lake they were shallower, toward the dam they were very deeper. Just was very odd, we thought theroclime but I've never seen it that deep or that thick. No problem launching but when we went to retrieve the boat there was two jack wagons hogging the ramp, one was a little personal pontoon boat that was sitting on the ramp for an hour or so before we came in, the second guy was having a hard time centering his boat but he was there for over 30 minutes, he was one of the power squad folks. Finally I drove down and ask how long does it take to get your boat on the trailer, at that point he had it on but was still just sitting there blocking the lane, preparing his boat to leave. I told him that was not what the ramp was for, that you prep you boat to leave at the top of the ramp so others can launch or retrieve their boats.
(08-11-2021, 12:55 PM)fishgiver Wrote: How deep did you have your down rigger?  Those marks on the finder seem to be at about 75'.

Thanks for your report,

We caught some of our fish deep around 35 to 40 ft but Ira was also using snap weights and doing well, he was letting out 75 ft I believe, with 3 oz weights. We caught most of them on koke type dodgers and squid but I thought I'd change thing up, hoping for a wiper and put out a J-11 double jointed rainbow pattern rapala but all I caught was another bow Huh
Was hoping you guys would find some kokes on your run up there, at least the bows provided some entertainment for the day
Yes, we were hoping for that as well, we covered the whole lake a couple of times and they just were not interested in what we were trolling. We varied our speed, switched lures and dodgers often, even tried many different depths but we were not really marking any good groups, pretty much all singles.
They must be practicing their social distancing so that they don't get the Rona.
Live to hunt----- Hunt to live.