Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hook Swallowing Woes
Went out today and managed to catch a bunch of catfish (nothing too big), but out of 16 landed I had to cut the line on 3 or 4 because the hook was too deep. What do you guys recommend? I am using baitholder hooks in sz 4 and just leaving the rod on a holder and grabbing it when a see s strike happening. The little guys (~12" or less) are the only ones swallowing it beyond recovery, I even crimp my barbs in order for easier release but it doesn't seem to help so far. Any suggestions? Thanks!
[Image: received-1146501659179749.jpg]
(08-17-2021, 10:26 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote: Went out today and managed to catch a bunch of catfish (nothing too big), but out of 16 landed I had to cut the line on 3 or 4 because the hook was too deep. What do you guys recommend? I am using baitholder hooks in sz 4 and just leaving the rod on a holder and grabbing it when a see s strike happening. The little guys (~12" or less) are the only ones swallowing it beyond recovery, I even crimp my barbs in order for easier release but it doesn't seem to help so far. Any suggestions? Thanks!
[Image: received-1146501659179749.jpg]
Don’t change anything, you are doing it perfect.
Try a circle hook! You will hook em in the corner of the mouth every time. Remember to just sweep the rod instead of crossing their eyes. Good luck!
I second circle hooks for cats.
(08-18-2021, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I second circle hooks for cats.

Good to know! Does it matter what size of hook?
(08-18-2021, 05:11 PM)Envenomation09 Wrote:
(08-18-2021, 04:37 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I second circle hooks for cats.

Good to know! Does it matter what size of hook?

IMO, the same size that you were using for your bait holder hooks should work but it mainly depends on the size of the fish you are catching.
L702 CIRCLE SEA HOOK by Eagle claw. This is the closest I can find to the style I use. The one I use has 2 slices on the shank. I use a #2 for fishing anchovies at Powell. I have used the same size at Ut. Lake for cats, just cut my bait smaller . I also will fillet the white bass, then cut triangular strips about an inch at the top, tapering to a point at the bottom. You can cut the tail end of the fillet off so it is about 1.5 inches, then cut that portion down the middle so you have two tapering baits. I then cut the fillet into tapering baits the length of the width of the fillet till I get to the rib cage, cut that out and then get one or two baits off the top of the fillet. You can scale the WB before filleting or run your hook point thru the wide portion of the bait from the meat side to the scale side, that way you don't get any scales covering the point of your hook. You can make these up in advance and soak in your favorite sent in a plastic bag or container.
I have been experimenting with different styles and sizes of hooks this year to reduce the number of gut hooked catfish. One thing I'm sure of is no hook is 100% effective in stopping the little cats from swallowing it to their kidneys if they really want it. I had 12" cats completely swallow 3/0 circle hooks.
My favorite hooks so far are 5/0 Gamakatsu octopus, 5/0 Team Catfish double action circle hook, 4/0 Team Catfish jackhammer j- hooks.
The most effective method in reducing gut hooking has been to use slip floats, they are more sensitive than a rod tip and let you hook them sooner.
I hate it when fishing Strawberry and a Cutt swallows a whole jig. I try to cut the line as close to the jig head as I can and let it go. I wonder if they are still able to survive. I'm sure the most don't make it but what can you do when you have to let them go. I often wonder if the DWR would change the reg that if the fish swallows the jig/lure and you could show (if checked) that the fish swallowed the jig/ure they would not give you a ticket. But then I wonder how my yahoo's would stick a jig down the throat just so they could keep the fish. I always bend the barb down just so it doesn't do to much damage to the fish. Luckily most catches with a jig are not deeply hooked.