Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Quick Cats at Provo
I hatched a plan to fish out of the Provo Marina last Saturday and at the last minute something great happened…Julie decided to go with me! We agreed to target 7:30 A.M to leave home. When I got up at 6 it was raining hard so we decided to sleep a while longer and see if it cleared up.

It did, but we didn’t get to the ramp until 10:30. The water was a little bumpy when we first got out but the wind and waves died away quickly and it was a beautiful mid-day. Water temp was 68 when we got on the main lake and 73 just before 1 P.M. when we called it quits.

We stayed close to the harbor in case the forecasted southerly winds came up. They didn’t and the fish cooperated nicely, even close to home. We picked up a bait white bass at the ramp, cut it up and started dragging it a bit before 11 A.M. The first cat came 10 minutes later. It was 26 1/2, Julie’s first one for this year’s contest and she was up 1 to nothing.

After a 15 minute lull, Julie hooked up again. This time the fish fought harder and longer and just before she got it in I hooked my first one. We had two good fish on and things were looking great. Hers ended up being 28” and mine just shy of 28.5. The flurry kept going as 3 more fish came aboard in the next 15 minutes, two at 28” and one at 27.5. I remember thinking we might not see any small fish the whole trip!

Things did change during the second hour as we got two cats under 24 inches in with some 25-27 inch fish. One of the little guys tangled two lines so badly that they remained out of commission for most of rest of the trip. We also got a couple more whites on the catfish gear.

Just about 2 hours after the first fish hit, Julie said she was feeling kind of tired and we started pulling the lines. I had left the video equipment sitting on the garage floor, but the phone pictures showed we got a little better than a dozen cats in our late morning visit. All came on cut WB dragged at 0.8 to 1 MPH. Depths ranged from 3.5 to 6.5, but only 1 came shallower than 5.5 feet.

I was glad to get out and have some fun, but more glad that Julie had finally made it out this year!

[Image: Julie-s-First.jpg][Image: 26-5.jpg][Image: Lime-Tiger.jpg][Image: 27-5.jpg][Image: Julie-s-Best.jpg][Image: 28.jpg]
Great to see Julie with some nice cats on the line
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(08-27-2021, 01:24 AM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Great to see Julie with some nice cats on the line

Thanks, it was great for me too. BTW, I accidentally posted this on her account Blush
I actually passed you on the way to the lake. It was on lakeside rd. I was just leaving provo harbor as I could not talk my kids into going because of the wind, they claimed it was too much and going to get worse. So we left before even launching. Looks like we should have tried. Nice report and pics and glad you got Julie out.