Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021 Willard Bay Trip # 34
Made what might be last trip out to WB South yesterday. Weather was perfect, only 1 other boat trailer in the lot at my 0810 arrival. And 1 other launching just as I was heading out to the channel.  
Water levels are almost at (or a little below) my personal minimums.  Edge of dock was 1.7 fow. Center of marina was 2.2 - 3.0 fow, middle of channel was 3.0 to 5.0 fow past the buoys 4.0-6.0 fow, then 300 yards out gets up to 9.8 fow off to the right and deepest I was over all day was 9.8 fow about 500 yards out from the feed lot tower. 

Had a very nice soft rolling breeze out of  the north east. Started my drift over an area 8-9 ft deep heading from east to west in almost a direct line towards the island buoys.  That was my longest drift of the day and I stayed over the same depth the whole time. Caught 3 Cats on that drift.  Then as the depth started coming up towards 4.5 fow near the island, I started up and returned to my near original starting spot.  About half way into that second drift the wind had died off to almost dead calm, and only produced 1 Cat.  At about 1100 the wind shifted to out of the north west and my drift started in 9 fow and I would start up and move back out when I got to about 4 fow closer in toward the south wall.  I made 2 or 3 drifts in that general direction which produced 3 more cats, the last 2 being a double on my last 2 pieces of shrimp.  

Had intended to keep all Cats caught yesterday (up to a limit) to replenish my freezer. I almost made a limit, but 7 Willard Cats will make for 3 or 4 good meals.  

Attempted to load photos, but site is having issues.  

[Image: Forest-willard.jpg]

[Image: 0119-Days-Catch.jpg]
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool
I read that Rockport is actually increasing in depth as they are shutting off some irrigation. Perhaps Willard will also, as I know they are shutting down / reducing some secondary system off that conservation system. Fingers crossed that we will still meet up this fall for some whisker tangling.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
I uploaded that pic for you Forest, is anyone having any problem viewing it?  Sounds like a good trip. You know you could always launch from the North marina, it is usually deeper.
Sounds like nice outing TC. Agree with WH2, try using the N marina - just keep to the center on ramp and you should be fine.

FYI - I can see your picture. looks like a calm day.
Forrest, I just came from the north marina.  Power squad was out in force. While waiting in line to take my kayak out of the water I watched two or three wake boats wander out of the channel and get grounded. One of them took three people to dislodge.  That said, watching your fish finder will keep you in the channel that stays 6 ft deep until your out of the marina and then you are in 8 - 10 FOW.  Go slow and you'll be ok.

Larry.
Pictures aren’t working for me. Using phone on xfinity WiFi
Don't know what the problem was, but my photo opening and enlargement is working again 

Larry,  thanks for info on north marina. I usually don't care to use the north end cause the walk to the lot is further away than the one at the south.  But with Labor Day done now, maybe the traffic at WB will reduce even more.  

I may be able to make one more trip to WB, but I'll be taking a trip out of state starting the 17th.  I'll be back on 24th.  
"OCD = Obsessive Catfish Disorder "
    Or so it says on my license plate holder

Cool