Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing at Rockpuddle, well sorta.
I launched at Rockport this morning around 730 am. Air temp 45, water temp was 64. Walked the really long hill at the dam with my float tube. Made me felt old. Lots of looking, with no catching. Saw a few marks here and there. Nothing I would classify as a school of fish. Worked across the dam face to the other side. As I came in I started chatting with a bank tangler, it was perchinski. We shared some fishing intel with one another. He caught more fish than I did from the bank. Some smallies and perch. Wind made fishing interesting with my vertical presentations. Tried depths of 20ft to 55ft. I should have hugged the shoreline. Oh well, at least it was an informative day to help me realize my ice fishing hot spots must be elsewhere.
Gabe
(09-09-2021, 08:51 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote: I launched at Rockport this morning around 730 am. Air temp 45, water temp was 64. Walked the really long hill at the dam with my float tube. Made me felt old. Lots of looking, with no catching. Saw a few marks here and there. Nothing I would classify as a school of fish. Worked across the dam face to the other side. As I came in I started chatting with a bank tangler, it was perchinski. We shared some fishing intel with one another. He caught more fish than I did from the bank. Some smallies and perch. Wind made fishing interesting with my vertical presentations. Tried depths of 20ft to 55ft. I should have hugged the shoreline. Oh well, at least it was an informative day to help me realize my ice fishing hot spots must be elsewhere.
Gabe
My sympathies on trudging up and down that hill.  I did it a few times before I got my motorized tube.  Sorry you didn't get into the fish.  As I know from my recent experience, you can fish a lot of fishless water before (maybe) finding some fish.  And this time of year they tend to be shallower so it is tougher to find them strictly by sonar.  The school I finally found was more by accident than design.  I had made  a haphazard cast into some "know-nothing" water just off the bank.  Imagine my surprise when I got bit...and then ended up catching a grundle in that same small area.  Went from zero to plenty.  But it seldom goes like that.
Thanks for the report. I was considering getting my canoe up there and rowing over from the ramp area, but may go up to Strawberry instead and chase some cutts. At least that hill you trudged up and down wasn't snow and ice covered (been there, done that, and will probably do it again...).

Any sign that Rockport is filling? I had read somewhere that water levels were rising there, but that may have just been a post-storm surge.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(09-10-2021, 03:05 PM)joatmon Wrote: Thanks for the report. I was considering getting my canoe up there and rowing over from the ramp area, but may go up to Strawberry instead and chase some cutts.  At least that hill you trudged up and down wasn't snow and ice covered (been there, done that, and will probably do it again...). 

Any sign that Rockport is filling?  I had read somewhere that water levels were rising there, but that may have just been a post-storm surge.
I dont know if it has came up or not. Possible cause no soft mud on the edge. I have trudged that hill too snow and ice covered. Not so bad when the water is up. Dont think I will be this coming ice season. Lol
Gabe
Sent you a PM, Gabe.  Nice running into you yesterday.