Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Another Lincoln report
I had to try at least one more time to get in a launch at Lincoln before the water level drops much lower. I arrived at the launch about 6:30 and discovered another boat had already launched and exited the channel. I backed my trailer in far enough to float the motor and then climbed into the bed of my truck and jumped from tailgate to the bow -- which ain't easy for 80 year old bones. Proceeded to the dock and tied up long enough to hoof it back to the truck and pull it into the parking lot. The sonar was showing a consistent 1.5 depth all the way out. I used my motor trimmed up and never even left a mud trail. Still doable but not much longer.

Good calm water today as I made the 7 mile run to the knolls. The fishing was good but slow. I caught some nice cats -- about 18 or so but nothing like what I was looking for. About four or five in the almost 30 class, all were feisty and they hit hard. No other boats in the area but had a little excitement watching the hang gliders launch from the base of the knoll. They run a long cable from launch on the hillside out to a power boat that gives them a quick lift into the wild blue and then the cable is released. They soar for miles and eventually return to maneuver their glider to a gentle landing in the same spot they launched from. One of them didn't quite make it back to the launch site and dropped into the water about 100 yards from shore. The power boat was on him in a hurry so no real danger. The water 100 yards out is not more than 2-3 feet deep. 

I fished for about four hours but could not find the fish. I'll be back to continue the quest, most likely in my kayak. I'm hoping the bigger fish will continue to move into that area. Lots of white bass slurping midges and a few carp clusters. The best is yet to come.
Fun report Lynn, thanks J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I don't think anyone doubts you will find " the fish" before Sept clocks out - its just how much of a fish we wonder - will it be that 36 buster?
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Keep after it my friend. I have faith in ya to catch a thumper. Between the cattle and no feed and the hunts starting up, I've not made a trip to the old Goshen bay this whole year. Man my priorities are messed up. Send me your cell number in a PM. I got an arrowhead pic i wanna send ya.
Hey have you seen or heard of anyone dropping off the end of the ramp.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
(09-16-2021, 04:58 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: Hey have you seen or heard of anyone dropping off the end of the ramp.

I have not. I know I was pretty close last launch but no trouble. I've rigged up a 2x8 piece of oak to the bottom length of my trailer which should let me pull out if I do drop over. I've been taking my 4x4 truck just in case I need the extra grunt to pull out. Not fun when you can't pull your boat out.

Lance -- Thanks, and yup "the fish" is the 36 incher I have been chasing for the past 20 years. I came close a couple of years ago with a 34 incher but those final two inches continue to elude me. Still, the chase continues. If, or rather when, I do catch up with him the chase will end and I can die knowing that my ultimate goal in life was achieved.

Darrell -- Gotta be a tough year on cows and ranchers. I hope you are able to survive through the year and hopefully get your priorities arranged so you can get back to catching cats instead of trying to keep cattle alive. From time to time while out fishing I run into that soothsayer that hangs out in the frags around the lake. The last time I talked to him he assured me that the coming winter will bless us with record amounts of snow... so hang in there. Shy  

I wanna see that arrowhead, will send pm.

Lynn
Hey Lynn, I'm glad you made it out and found some good fish. It sounds like a solid outing even if "It" didn't show. Didn't you tether that 34 inch cat you got last year or at least put a tracking device on it? It should be 36 in the next year or so! They are out there!
Fished Lincoln again today with Lee, he in his tube while I used my kayak. Beautiful day and great company. TubeDude had planned to join us but some family issues prompted him to cancel this time. He was missed but Lee and i hope to get him back down to Lincoln again soon.

We fished mostly out in front of the first spring. The fish seemed to favor the deeper water -- 6-7 feet, and white bass worked for me. I caught 13 cats, biggest was 28 1/2 inches. Lee released several and kept a few for table fare (or fair??) Lots of eye fishers wading and boating by the orchards, one boat working the island. One boat launched from Lincoln with about four adult fishers in it?? The water continues to drop and is probably not much over foot or so. Lee used his electric motor on his tube and had no trouble getting out. I launched closer to the rocky point.

No Jim, I did not find my 34 incher that is surely a 36 incher now. I did insert a tracking device in the fish using a satellite to transmit the location but the California fires fried the signal so the search continues unassisted. I'll add a photo of the fish to this post just in case someone catches a 36 incher that looks similar; 34 inches, 21 pounds, PB, a female, I think.

[Image: 34-incher-2.jpg]