Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
willard
Met with Pat this morning at the North Marina. There were no other vehicles there at arrival or  when we left we departed close to noon. There was a bank fisherman tho. I got launched bout 0730 there bouts. Easy launch. Water temp was 66 and warmed to 67 at the end. Depth in the channel was 4ft to 6 ft out to the lake. I was dragging strawberry chicken on a santee rig on one rod and a blue silver whirly flig with piece of worm on the other. Took til bout 8:20 the get a bite. Lots of bait balls all over the lake. I was in 9 ft of water when the santee rig got bit.

[Image: DSC00107.jpg]

The next fish came bout an hour later on the chicken again

[Image: DSC00108.jpg]
[Image: DSC00109.jpg]

This last one was a long time later. Not sure what time and that was it for the day. Chicken again. But hey I will take 3 over a skunk any day.
Was the north marina bay deep enough for some perch return? May just fish the mouth to the marina.
If youre talking bout launching a boat I dont really know . The center of the channel is 4 - 6 ft, but there is lots of shallow water all over the place. And it changes fast . Goes from 4 or 5 ft down to 1 ft in spots. Pat was kicking along then all of a sudden his fins were kicking rocks. Not sure how far out from shore that was, but like I said it changes real fast all over the place. Not sure if the perch are there yet. As far as shore fishing you would just have to go try different places. Im sorry I cant describe it better.

Not sure. If youre talking bout launching a boat I really dont know whats safe and whats not. The channel was 4-6 ft all the way out in the center of the channel. But out in the main lake I found up to 10 ft of water. The level changes real fast in lots of spots. Can go from 5 ft to 1 ft
sometimes. Lots of very shallow rocks. Pat was kicking along then all of a sudden his findwere kicking rocks.
As for shore fishing you will just have to try different spots. Sorry I cant describe things better. Not sure if the perch are even there yet.
Good job Lee. Sounds like it's pretty much hit or miss. I've been having some luck in 3 or 4 FOW, hanging chicken under a bobber.
(09-28-2021, 01:10 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Was the north marina bay deep enough for some perch return? May just fish the mouth to the marina.
I doubt there will be any perch action inside the marina this year.  Too shallow.   Less than 3' in the back part and only about 5-6 feet in the channel.

I did get some perchy type "inquiries" (no hookups) outside the marina...in about 10' of water.  But it is still early.  They usually do not school up until the water cools off a bit more...like down to about 50 or lower.
(09-28-2021, 02:23 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 01:10 AM)doitall5000 Wrote: Was the north marina bay deep enough for some perch return? May just fish the mouth to the marina.
I doubt there will be any perch action inside the marina this year.  Too shallow.   Less than 3' in the back part and only about 5-6 feet in the channel.

I did get some perchy type "inquiries" (no hookups) outside the marina...in about 10' of water.  But it is still early.  They usually do not school up until the water cools off a bit more...like down to about 50 or lower.

Thanks Pat, maybe perch action might be at deer creek or Rockport this year.
(09-28-2021, 02:49 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Are you thinking of the ice fishing...or late season open water perchin'?   Rockport should provide some of the former.  Deer Creek might provide both...if it freezes this winter.
(09-28-2021, 02:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 02:49 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

Are you thinking of the ice fishing...or late season open water perchin'?   Rockport should provide some of the former.  Deer Creek might provide both...if it freezes this winter.
Before the freeze, at deer creek
(09-28-2021, 03:07 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:
(09-28-2021, 02:59 PM)TubeDude Wrote: [quote pid="1124303" dateline="1632840582"]
Before the freeze, at deer creek
[/quote]
From the reports I am getting, the perch are already going deep.  I have done well fishing less than 20' deep around the Island clear into late October in years past.  But on my last trip a couple of weeks ago I found nothing in water less than about 24'.  And others are finding perch in over 30' already.  In this low water year we may have to fish much deeper...even in open water...before the end of the year.

One other thing is to look for schools of suspended perch.  Some of the seasoned "perch jerkers" have reported finding schools of larger perch suspended well above bottom in deeper water.  Good sonar and good vertical presentation techniques can put some good perch on the table.