Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Huntington North - Nice fall day
A few of us hit HN today in our tubes.  We launched at the State Park ramp around 10:00 and fished until 3:30.  We used our normal fly gear, sinking lines and size 6-8 bead head leeches and buggers and picked up a HN mixed bag of fish.  Some bluegill/green sunfish, small largemouth bass, some channel catfish, rainbows, one wiper, a handful of 15" chubs, and a crawdad.  One of the rainbows was just under 3 pounds.  The catfish went from 12" to just over 20", and the wiper weighed 5 lbs. 11 oz. and was 23" long.

The reservoir level is 45% full and rising slowly.  The water temperature was 63-65 degrees and the visibility in the water of about 5'.

There were quite a few people camped at the State Park but there weren't any boats out and only a half dozen shore fishermen while we were there.

It was a fun day on the water. Smile 

[Image: P1070422-2.jpg][Image: P1070424-2.jpg][Image: P1070430-2.jpg][Image: P1070431-2.jpg][Image: P1070434-2.jpg][Image: P1070436-2.jpg][Image: P1070443-2.jpg][Image: P1070445-2.jpg]
[Image: P1070439-2.jpg]

Great mix bag of fish, much better than your last trip there, thanks for sharing your report and pics.
Great report and very nice mixed bag.  Since I'm not familiar with that part of the state, I had to look up where it's at.  It would appear that you were actually at Huntington State Park, not at Huntington North Reservoir which doesn't have a campground.  Is that correct?  Just trying to keep it all straight in my mind.
Smile
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(10-02-2021, 02:26 PM)dubob Wrote: Great report and very nice mixed bag.  Since I'm not familiar with that part of the state, I had to look up where it's at.  It would appear that you were actually at Huntington State Park, not at Huntington North Reservoir which doesn't have a campground.  Is that correct?  Just trying to keep it all straight in my mind.
Smile

Your sort of right.  The reservoir is called Huntington North but it is the at the Huntington State Park.  I think you are thinking of Huntington Reservoir (Mammoth) that is up the canyon near Cleveland Reservoir.
I hope that helps.
(10-02-2021, 05:10 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(10-02-2021, 02:26 PM)dubob Wrote: Great report and very nice mixed bag.  Since I'm not familiar with that part of the state, I had to look up where it's at.  It would appear that you were actually at Huntington State Park, not at Huntington North Reservoir which doesn't have a campground.  Is that correct?  Just trying to keep it all straight in my mind.
Smile

Your sort of right.  The reservoir is called Huntington North but it is the at the Huntington State Park.  I think you are thinking of Huntington Reservoir (Mammoth) that is up the canyon near Cleveland Reservoir.
I hope that helps.
I think I got it.  You fished the body of water just north of the town of Huntington, UT.  Depending on who's map you look at, it is labeled Huntington North, Huntington Lake, or Huntington State Park.  The other body of water you did not report on is 30 miles north of the town of Huntington up Utah Highway 31.  Again, depending on who's map you look at, this body of water is called Huntington North, Huntington Reservoir, or Mammoth.  Yep - no confusion there.

All joking aside, ya done good Bubba on reporting and rippin' some lips.  I have ice fished both Huntington Reservoir and Electric Lake, but nothing further south than that.  Nice to know that Huntington State Park is producing some success.
Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Not bad...for a guy who waves a fairy wand for slimers.
(10-03-2021, 12:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not bad...for a guy who waves a fairy wand for slimers.

I'm not proud, I'll try for anything that will stretch my string. Wink

There are a lot of folks that think if you fly fish it's got to be for trout.

I've found all species equally fun to catch on the fairy wand.  It's just that the other species present a little more of a challenge.
(10-03-2021, 05:00 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 12:08 PM)TubeDude Wrote: Not bad...for a guy who waves a fairy wand for slimers.

I've found all species equally fun to catch on the fairy wand.  It's just that the other species present a little more of a challenge.
Hope ya know I was only funnin' on ya.  I have much respect for your demonstrated skills as an angler in general and for your exceptional prowess as a fly flinger.  You often do better on the "non-trout" species by accident than anglers using other tackle fishing specifically for those "others".  And in most cases they would be unable to match your catch on trout as well.  Nothing succeeds like success.
(10-03-2021, 05:50 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(10-03-2021, 05:00 PM)gofish435 Wrote:

Hope ya know I was only funnin' on ya.  I have much respect for your demonstrated skills as an angler in general and for your exceptional prowess as a fly flinger.  You often do better on the "non-trout" species by accident than anglers using other tackle fishing specifically for those "others".  And in most cases they would be unable to match your catch on trout as well.  Nothing succeeds like success.

No need to apologize.  

We know each other well enough that we are used to "funnin" each other. Tongue