Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fish kill on the Weber river
Have any of you heard about this, Browntrout posted about it on the fly fishing board, here is a link to that post:

https://www.bigfishtackle.com/forum/show...id=1099223
They had a segment on it on one of the Salt Lake TV news programs.  Showed that they shut off the flow at Rockport for some damn dam work and dewatered the river.  Showed some guy with a bunch of big beautiful brown trout laid out on his lawn...that had died in the dried riverbed.

The report said that DWR is going to plant some more fish.  Too bad they couldn't have done more to save some of the prime fish that were in the river.
(10-18-2021, 09:49 PM)TubeDude Wrote: They had a segment on it on one of the Salt Lake TV news programs.  Showed that they shut off the flow at Rockport for some damn dam work and dewatered the river.  Showed some guy with a bunch of big beautiful brown trout laid out on his lawn...that had died in the dried riverbed.

The report said that DWR is going to plant some more fish.  Too bad they couldn't have done more to save some of the prime fish that were in the river.

I totally agree, if they had planned this right, at the very least the DWR could have ask for volunteers to help catch some of those fish to relocate them to another area or allowed fisherfolks to take some home, instead of wasting them.
Dam, that's too bad, they could have got rid of the limits a couple weeks before to give anglers a chance to salvage some of them. See poor planning here in Idaho with that too.
The problem was that the "DAMN" operators did not contact DWR before shutting off the water. We are lucky that the kill was not worse than it was. I hope that DWR finds a way to charge the "DAMN" operators for the loss of the fish and the restocking. I can't believe that the "DAMN" operators did not know that by shutting off the water was going to have an adverse effect on the river. They, the "DAMN" operators need to be held accountable !!!
(10-19-2021, 07:18 PM)Therapist Wrote: The problem was that the "DAMN" operators did not contact DWR before shutting off the water.  We are lucky that the kill was not worse than it was.  I hope that DWR finds a way to charge the "DAMN" operators for the loss of the fish and the restocking.  I can't believe that the "DAMN" operators did not know that by shutting off the water was going to have an adverse effect on the river.  They, the "DAMN" operators need to be held accountable !!!

Agreed, it is hard to believe, they would not know but it was likely that they just did not care and that IMO is the reason that person or persons should be responsible for the loss.
Should be a immediate call to DWR that they are doing that before hand so they can make a plan.