Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice Fishing Hacks?
Anyone else create interesting ice fishing hacks during the "off season"?  I messed around with several PVC hook setters/jaw jackers, but couldn't seem to get the trigger right.

I did create a longer handle for my ice scoop and added a foam collar to give it some floatability (after donating a few to various lakes over the years).  See pictures.  I cut 31.5" off a spare wooden broom handle that I had.  I came up with that length to get the handle up close to my belly button for easier use (ended up 41" long top to bottom).  I then cut the bottom 11" of the broom handle in half lengthwise and removed one half so the handle of the scoop would lie flat against the broom handle.  I drilled 1/4" holes through the broom stick and scoop handle, and joined them with a couple of 1/4" bolts and nylon lock nuts.  Finally, I added a 24" piece of foam I had left over from a water heater installation, and secured it with three zip ties.  This leaves about 7" of broom handle exposed at the top.  Now I need to go try it out!

I had been contemplating a net that would aid in getting larger fish out of the hole, but gave up and bought a lip gripper.  I need to find TubeDude's info about modifying a long handled grabber tool as a lip gripper...

What have you created or built?

[Image: IMG-4859.jpg]

[Image: IMG-4860.jpg]

jack of all tackle, master of none
Ice fishing?  I'm still trying to get my boat finished...
Honestly, all I've done was to make sure the ice rods, auger and tent aren't buried to deep in the shed.

Always interested to see what others have come up with though.  Some on here are really good ice fishers some of the PVC things do are genius.
You have to consider jaw jackers are like snares, the trigger has to be hair sensitive and the strike has to be fast and hard. Tough combo.
When ice fishing in deep water (30' or more) I like to use thin, pencil bobbers but those require bobber stops so I tie up a dozen or so like this lady does in the video: How to make a slip tie for a slip bobber - YouTube I keep the bobber stops on a couple of large safety pins along with plastic beads.  If you cut the straw sections short (1/4" or less), then you can keep 3 or 4 on one safety pin.  That way when you break off or want to re-rig, you can easily add a new bobber stop quickly without having to tie one up with ice cold hands.
[Image: KIMG0462.jpg]

[Image: KIMG0463.jpg]

I made my own jaw jackers a couple years ago, the triggers are tough, took a lot of time to get them to work right.
I made PVC jaw jackers and found triggers on line, they cost 3 for $10. https://www.amazon.com/Fishing-Quickset-...B00IBM4UNW

Here is a video on how to make one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhpjs7STOMU
At Smith Moorehouse last winter, I believe it was Muskyon that had this bite indicator that works like a balance beam scale. It can be used with jigs from 1/16 to 3/8 oz.  I wanted to be able to use it for heavier or multiple jigs, so I hacked it by adding the snap off of a snap swivel and a piece of rubber band to keep it in place. Now by adding different weights, I can counter balance any jigs that I use and still have a very sensitive indicator that detects both positive and negative bites. 

[Image: IMG-1757.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1758.jpg]

[Image: IMG-1759.jpg]
Good fishing to all.   Hue
(10-31-2021, 10:30 PM)joatmon Wrote: I had been contemplating a net that would aid in getting larger fish out of the hole, but gave up and bought a lip gripper.  I need to find TubeDude's info about modifying a long handled grabber tool as a lip gripper...
Some info and pics on the reach tool lip grabber in the attached PDF file...page 12.

Attached Files
.pdf   NEXT LEVEL ICE FISHING.pdf (Size: 927.38 KB / Downloads: 35)
I pulled the 8lb braid off my regular rod and spooled 2 ice reels with it then put new 8lb braid on it. Figure its still good so why not transfer it over and put new line on the main rod. Went to some of that fancy white nanofil line... seems ok so far, I think I prefer the fireline braid in smoke gray color
Nice, just received my marmooska jig mold and honey worm mold today, be all set for ice fishing now, but might buy some jigging rap blanks to paint up for myself, last batch was for the boy. Haven't tried braid yet, pretty happy with my trilene xl.
(11-01-2021, 09:27 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I pulled the 8lb braid off my regular rod and spooled 2 ice reels with it then put new 8lb braid on it. Figure its still good so why not transfer it over and put new line on the main rod. Went to some of that fancy white nanofil line... seems ok so far, I think I prefer the fireline braid in smoke gray color
YMMV, but for me, I found that braid is not a good choice for use with downriggers or ice fishing.  The downrigger release pads don't firmly grip/hold braided line vs. mono/floro.  I even tried the Champion releases and there was still some slippage problems.  Ice fishing is a no-go for me due to braided line tending to hold more water than mono/floro and freezing on the reel making it problematic stripping the the line off the reel in below freezing air temps.  Works fine in a heated shelter, but a real PITA out in the open at below 32*F temperatures.  All my bass fishing reels are spooled with braided line.  My ice fishing reels all have ice mono with floro leaders.  If you're happy using braided line for ice fishing, I'm happy for you.  And may the ice gods shine down on your ice adventures this season.

Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
Jigging for Lakers 80+ feet deep requires braid, I just seem to do pretty good with it. I'll have 1 or 2 rods with 6 or 8lb floro on them though
Hey Fritz watch that Nanofil.... I really have a love hate relationship with it... I like it for ice fishing, it won't hold the moisture so it works pretty well. But when casting it, it's a dream to cast and you'll gain ten yards on your casts, but it don't last very long, seems like it goes like teflon tape and splits into multiple strands and then breaks very easy... I really like it, but it's too dang expensive for a line that doesn't last any longer than mono in my book... If it wasn't the price of braid and I could afford to replace it every year or every other year, then I'd probably use it on everything, but the way it is, I won't buy anymore of it... too bad, but I've lost two really nice fish due to the dang line rotted out on me without any warning... So keep that in mind... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I love that fused fireline braid, ive used spider wire for years but after running 100lb sturgeon fishing and seeing it untwist as a sturgeon is pulling I switched over to the fireline its like fused and melted together it seems. Ive never ran that new nanofil until this week. It casts good but does remind me of pipe tape a little! I'll probably junk it and put the fireline on again
(11-02-2021, 02:36 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: , but it don't last very long, seems like it goes like teflon tape and splits into multiple strands and then breaks very easy...

I had this same problem a few years back.  I liked the way it cast so I tried it again two years ago.  I don't know what I have done different or if has improved but I am not having this problem any more.
I have had this new stuff on for two years and just love it.  Like you said it casts like a dream.  It also has no memory.
I do not use it on the ice.  I don't think it can handle snagging on the edge of the hole.
(11-02-2021, 02:36 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Fritz watch that Nanofil.... I really have a love hate relationship with it... I like it for ice fishing, it won't hold the moisture so it works pretty well.  But when casting it, it's a dream to cast and you'll gain ten yards on your casts, but it don't last very long, seems like it goes like teflon tape and splits into multiple strands and then breaks very easy... I really like it, but it's too dang expensive for a line that doesn't last any longer than mono in my book...  If it wasn't the price of braid and I could afford to replace it every year or every other year, then I'd probably use it on everything, but the way it is, I won't buy anymore of it... too bad, but I've lost two really nice fish due to the dang line rotted out on me without any warning... So keep that in mind... Later Jeff
After replacing some grooved guides on your rods for you, I suspect a large part of your problem with Nanofil is not the line but rough guides.  Worn and nicked guides will ruin any line.

I have been using Nanofil on most of my reels for over six years now.  I have never had a line break on a fish...and have difficulty even breaking six pound from my float tube when I get a snag.  Also, the quality guides on my rods almost never get cracked or grooved so I have never noticed any frizzing on my line.  However, I do periodically replace the five or six feet of line at the end simply because that is the part that gets the most wear and tear...with casting, short distance fish battles, etc.

And for ice fishing?  Only used it a couple of years before I quit ice fishing, but I had less trouble with Nanofil than with mono.  Unlike braid, it does not soak up water and freeze...and it stays limp in the cold.  And it also has good abrasion resistance against the ice edges.  Most problems with any line are largely angler related.
Exactly what Tubedude said about Nanofil.  I love it!   I do have to replace the first 5-6' once or twice a year depending on how much it gets frayed from the rocky habitat I use it in, but I've had it on my reels for since it first came out (about 10 years now) and have never had an issue with it.  Check your guides for cracks/splits.  Nanofil is my favorite line.  

As for jigging with braid.  I use Spiderwire and have used it in -20 conditions, without a tent, on Bear Lake and have never had it freeze up solid.  Sure it crystalizes, but never freezes so my line can't be stirpped off my baitcaster to get down 60-100' without an effort.  Sure you can catch fish jigging that deep with mono line, but I'd bet everything I own that you get a better hook up and bite detection with the braid at those depths.
I like to replace my line usually twice a year, once a year minimum and my catfish rods sometimes more if im getting alot of abrasion. Between fishing the snake for smallies and dragging plastics on the bottom for eyes I see alot of abrasion on my line usually and would rather replace it then loose fish
(11-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Ive never ran that new nanofil until this week. It casts good but does remind me of pipe tape a little! I'll probably junk it and put the fireline on again

My wife sure thought I had spooled up with dental floss after using one of my rods. Wasn’t too happy when I made her taste it to prove she was wrong. Only 2 minor complaints about Nanofil from me. When I get the occasional birdnest, it’s sure a lot more difficult to untangle. The other is due to its slickness. On the first couple of setups, I spooled it directly on to the aluminum reel. Once I hooked into a fish that required use of the drag, it would just spin freely on the spool arbor not getting enough friction to engage the drag. Easily fixed by first running a few yards of cheap mono, then topshot the nanofil. I tried taping the first couple wraps on the reel too. Worked for a little while until I needed to crank up the drag. Then it still spun
(11-03-2021, 12:30 AM)EyLayo Wrote:
(11-02-2021, 03:48 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Ive never ran that new nanofil until this week. It casts good but does remind me of pipe tape a little! I'll probably junk it and put the fireline on again

My wife sure thought I had spooled up with dental floss after using one of my rods. Wasn’t too happy when I made her taste it to prove she was wrong. Only 2 minor complaints about Nanofil from me. When I get the occasional birdnest, it’s sure a lot more difficult to untangle. The other is due to its slickness. On the first couple of setups, I spooled it directly on to the aluminum reel. Once I hooked into a fish that required use of the drag, it would just spin freely on the spool arbor not getting enough friction to engage the drag. Easily fixed by first running a few yards of cheap mono, then topshot the nanofil. I tried taping the first couple wraps on the reel too. Worked for a little while until I needed to crank up the drag. Then it still spun

Yep.  It is slick.  But I only "topshot" it on my reels...about 60 - 75 yards on top of mono.  Never use more than that for casting.  Need more for trolling though.

A hint.  Whenever you tie Nano onto a swivel...or even directly to a hook...run the line twice through the eye and then tie an improved clinch knot.  That extra turn through the eye makes it rock solid.  Never had a knot failure with that tactic.
I built some rod holders last year that I really ended up liking, they are a little bigger to haul around, but they were great for getting the rod up higher where it was easy and fast to grab, plus with Pat's quick draw rear support it kept it secure, yet fast to set the hook... I added the camera stuff to it, that was nice when using the camera, but a pain the rest of the time... So I have one with camera hook ups and one without.... I use the one without most of the time... Anyway something you might like to hack... Later J

[Image: 3-FA60-E73-460-F-44-E4-A356-D3-D3-D508-EBEA.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!