Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice lures, etc.
I'm starting to get excited about ice fishing and would like to get ahead of the game this year. What are your essential ice lures? Anything specific for particular species? I'll share one first. Last year Ryno (I think he is the fish biologist at Flaming Gorge) recommended the Tikka Mino for pups, particularly in Glow Tiger, 5/16 oz. Couldn't find any late in the season last year but joatmon bought me one this year. No guarantee they'll like it this year, but it's worth a try.

I don't expect anyone to give up their secrets but would hope you will cover some of the essentials.

Also, any other must-have tackle/gear would be helpful.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Swedish pimples 1/4 &1/8 oz, assorted round head jigs.
+1 on the swedish pimple (or hali or kastmaster) and jig heads. Seems to be my starting point for every trip. Chartreus or white.
I’m still liking Maniac Cut’r bugs while my supply lasts, tungsten teardrop jigs gold and silver. Also like those dangly chains for perch. Bring on the ice. Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(11-09-2021, 08:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I’m still liking Maniac Cut’r bugs while my supply lasts, tungsten teardrop jigs gold and silver. Also like those dangly chains for perch. Bring on the ice. Later J

I have a few colors I dont use u can let go, gazillas to if your interested... it'll be random colors and quantities from last year but if you can use them.. 

My favorite lure last year that was always on one if my rods was a green and gold perch talker. It catches anything!
(11-09-2021, 03:11 PM)catchinon Wrote: I'm starting to get excited about ice fishing and would like to get ahead of the game this year. What are your essential ice lures? Anything specific for particular species? I'll share one first. Last year Ryno (I think he is the fish biologist at Flaming Gorge) recommended the Tikka Mino for pups, particularly in Glow Tiger, 5/16 oz. Couldn't find any late in the season last year but joatmon bought me one this year. No guarantee they'll like it this year, but it's worth a try.

I don't expect anyone to give up their secrets but would hope you will cover some of the essentials.

Also, any other must-have tackle/gear would be helpful.
Rattling spoons and jigging raps/tikka minnows(walleye, perch, crappie, trout)
Small castmaster spoons(perch,crappie and trout)
Small jigheads/soft plastics(perch, crappie, trout)
Small rattling lipless cranksbaits(everything that swims) 
My two cents
Gabe
(11-09-2021, 11:39 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote:
(11-09-2021, 08:23 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I’m still liking Maniac Cut’r bugs while my supply lasts, tungsten teardrop jigs gold and silver. Also like those dangly chains for perch. Bring on the ice. Later J

I have a few colors I dont use u can let go, gazillas to if your interested... it'll be random colors and quantities from last year but if you can use them.. 

My favorite lure last year that was always on one if my rods was a green and gold perch talker. It catches anything!

I love and use the Maniac Gitzilla almost exclusively, white with red flake is my favorite followed by orange, for perch I use a small Kast master with a dropper to a chartreuse gizzy bug. I would love to purchase Gitzillas and Gizzy bugs that anyone is willing to let go, especially in the colors I mentioned. What I want even more than the Maniac plastics are their 1/16, 1/8, 1/64 Oz. jigs heads, if anybody has some they want to sell let me know. Here are pictures of what I’m looking for.
[Image: C7-F4-C622-D5-D5-4295-8-DD2-43-A86-C31-A328.jpg]

[Image: 33-DBDDA0-E0-D9-4769-A6-D0-45500-EDC1006.jpg]

[Image: 40835797-1535-4-A10-A53-A-15-A74-E400141.jpg]

Below some Maniac plastics I would be willing to trade for white with red flake Gitzillas
[Image: CDF04-E06-8409-4937-95-E0-97-B9-E9-CC4-D83.jpg]
I could help you out with the jigheads, have to do a little searching for the plastics.
(11-10-2021, 02:33 AM)meancuznalfy Wrote: I could help you out with the jigheads, have to do a little searching for the plastics.

PM sent.
James at Maniac will still do some custom runs, but it will be big batches (100 or more) and he may not have materials for everything.  I had him run 100 gizzillas (green glow) in March, and he turned them around very quickly for me (less than a week).   May take getting a group order together?

PM me if you want his contact info.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Hey Fritz, I do have quite a few in colors I don't use very often.... I'm just worried about when my crazy glow Orange supply is exhausted... I also like the natural glow color too, it's the whitish clear color.... I think we'll have to follow Brett's lead and contact James when we need a new supply... So how much does a hundred pieces cost? Is that the same order size for the hooks? If so and someone goes for the 1/16 oz vertigo heads and wants to split the order, I'll go in with you... I love the flat head design.... If they had the flat head in the vertigo 2 head that allows you to attach a dropper, I'd take some of those too... That's the first one I'm almost out of... Let me know if anyone wants to split orders on any of the things I've mentioned? I'll take from half down to ten each on hooks and for the plastics I'd like to get closer to 50... Let me know, later Jeff
(11-10-2021, 06:29 AM)joatmon Wrote: James at Maniac will still do some custom runs, but it will be big batches (100 or more) and he may not have materials for everything.  I had him run 100 gizzillas (green glow) in March, and he turned them around very quickly for me (less than a week).   May take getting a group order together?

PM me if you want his contact info.

When you say 100 or more are you saying 100 packages?
I'll bet if James didn't have to put them into packages it would be a lot easier for him and maybe cheaper to do as well... I'd take them fresh out of the mold and untrimmed, I've got a lot of old packages around... Thanks J
(11-10-2021, 02:06 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: I'll bet if James didn't have to put them into packages it would be a lot easier for him and maybe cheaper to do as well... I'd take them fresh out of the mold and untrimmed, I've got a lot of old packages around... Thanks J
That's a good idea Jeff, anything to make it easier on him and less cost would be good I'd think, unless he has a ton of packages left over.
(11-10-2021, 01:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Fritz, I do have quite a few in colors I don't use very often.... I'm just worried about when my crazy glow Orange supply is exhausted... I also like the natural glow color too, it's the whitish clear color.... I think we'll have to follow Brett's lead and contact James when we need a new supply...  So how much does a hundred pieces cost?  Is that the same order size for the hooks?  If so and someone goes for the 1/16 oz vertigo heads and wants to split the order, I'll go in with you... I love the flat head design.... If they had the flat head in the vertigo 2 head that allows you to attach a dropper, I'd take some of those too... That's the first one I'm almost out of... Let me know if anyone wants to split orders on any of the things I've mentioned?  I'll take from half down to ten each on hooks and for the plastics I'd like to get closer to 50... Let me know, later Jeff

I want in on a order as well, is there one of you guys who knows James fairly well to set up a BFT bulk order, and see if he has the various jig heads people want. I like the vertigo heads with and without the dropper but I REALLY like his swim heads in the 1/16oz. size.
I have had a few guys get "minnow head" jigs and found them to be a good substitute for the heads James sold.  I also have a lot of guys who like the "dart" heads...because of the perfect horizontal presentation.  And if you do a lot of "lift and drop", the wobble heads are fantastic for ice fishing.  They zig zag on the lift and flutter on the drop.  I make these in sizes from size 8 to size 4 for ice fishing.

[Image: MINNOW-HEAD-COLORS.jpg]  [Image: DART-HEAD-ICE-JIGS.jpg]  [Image: WOBBLE-GLOW-SMALL.jpg]
I did order 200 maniac minnows from him this summer... so he's still doing some things... and they were all just sent in zip lock bags which is fine with me!
(11-10-2021, 01:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Hey Fritz, I do have quite a few in colors I don't use very often.... I'm just worried about when my crazy glow Orange supply is exhausted... I also like the natural glow color too, it's the whitish clear color.... I think we'll have to follow Brett's lead and contact James when we need a new supply...  So how much does a hundred pieces cost?  Is that the same order size for the hooks?  If so and someone goes for the 1/16 oz vertigo heads and wants to split the order, I'll go in with you... I love the flat head design.... If they had the flat head in the vertigo 2 head that allows you to attach a dropper, I'd take some of those too... That's the first one I'm almost out of... Let me know if anyone wants to split orders on any of the things I've mentioned?  I'll take from half down to ten each on hooks and for the plastics I'd like to get closer to 50... Let me know, later Jeff

(11-10-2021, 03:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have had a few guys get "minnow head" jigs and found them to be a good substitute for the heads James sold.  I also have a lot of guys who like the "dart" heads...because of the perfect horizontal presentation.  And if you do a lot of "lift and drop", the wobble heads are fantastic for ice fishing.  They zig zag on the lift and flutter on the drop.  I make these in sizes from size 8 to size 4 for ice fishing.

[Image: MINNOW-HEAD-COLORS.jpg]  [Image: DART-HEAD-ICE-JIGS.jpg]  [Image: WOBBLE-GLOW-SMALL.jpg]
Pat, I keep looking for the perfect jig head replacement for the Maniac 1/16 and 1/8 swim heads they just look and perform perfectly for me, one of the things I really like about them is the hook he uses, it has a wide gap and is stiffer than any of the light wire hooks that most small jig heads have, paired with the perfect shank length. Its a case of logically I know others ones will work just as well but I have confidence in what has worked for me so I have a hard time trying other options one day soon I will have no choice, thanks for suggesting other options.
Thanks Obi, I'll have to get me a few packs while they are still available.. And I have used Pat's jig heads they work great, at least the dartheads are pretty good.... He uses great hooks, I just like to make sure the hook hangs horizontal and the darts seem best for that... Thanks Jeff
(11-10-2021, 05:24 PM)obifishkenobi Wrote:

(11-10-2021, 03:03 PM)TubeDude Wrote: I have had a few guys get "minnow head" jigs and found them to be a good substitute for the heads James sold.  I also have a lot of guys who like the "dart" heads...because of the perfect horizontal presentation.  And if you do a lot of "lift and drop", the wobble heads are fantastic for ice fishing.  They zig zag on the lift and flutter on the drop.  I make these in sizes from size 8 to size 4 for ice fishing.

Pat, I keep looking for the perfect jig head replacement for the Maniac 1/16 and 1/8 swim heads they just look and perform perfectly for me, one of the things I really like about them is the hook he uses, it has a wide gap and is stiffer than any of the light wire hooks that most small jig heads have, paired with the perfect shank length. Its a case of logically I know others ones will work just as well but I have confidence in what has worked for me so I have a hard time trying other options one day soon I will have no choice, thanks for suggesting other options.

I'm like 99% sure they're gamagatsu hooks he uses.  I love them too.  If you look close at the wooly bugger marobou jig it's the same hook and they advertise it as a gammy