Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
2021/2022 Ice Fishing Challenge Standings
This is the thread where you can find updated standings. I plan to update approximately once/week. Attached is the spread sheet. I will add your name to the spread sheet when you post your first fish. Also included is the current prize list and contestant list. 

Prize List
Longest Channel Cat - (donated by Fritzfishin)
First fish over 20" - a Jaw jacker (anonymous donation)
Highest ranked (lowest score) newcomer - Ugly Stik GX2 Ice Combo (anonymous donation)

Contestant List
SkunkedAgain
Fritzfishin
hookngrinin
catchinon
joatmon
Backyard Boy T.V.
DailyAngler
wiperslayer1
EyLayo
TopH2O

Attached Files
.pdf   Ice Challenge Standings 2021 2022 Nov 15.pdf (Size: 7.15 KB / Downloads: 23)
Could you do me a favor and add white crappie to the list for us weirdos who chase legends
(11-11-2021, 08:11 PM)hookngrinin Wrote: This is the thread where you can find updated standings. I plan to update approximately once/week. Attached is the spread sheet. I will add your name to the spread sheet when you post your first fish. Also included is the current prize list and contestant list. 

Prize List
Highest ranked (lowest score) newcomer - Ugly Stik GX2 Ice Combo (anonymous donation)

Contestant List
SkunkedAgain
Fritzfishin
hookngrinin
catchinon
joatmon
Backyard Boy T.V.
DailyAngler
Guess I'm just an old worry-wort but I was wondering about something. The rules don't make it explicit that you have to sign up for the contest before you fish but I believe that has been true in the past. Can a person sign up and post their first fish at the same time? I'm concerned that a bunch of the people who usually participate aren't signed up yet.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-16-2021, 11:21 PM)catchinon Wrote:
(11-11-2021, 08:11 PM)hookngrinin Wrote: This is the thread where you can find updated standings. I plan to update approximately once/week. Attached is the spread sheet. I will add your name to the spread sheet when you post your first fish. Also included is the current prize list and contestant list. 

Prize List

Contestant List
SkunkedAgain
Fritzfishin
hookngrinin
catchinon
joatmon
Backyard Boy T.V.
DailyAngler
Guess I'm just an old worry-wort but I was wondering about something. The rules don't make it explicit that you have to sign up for the contest before you fish but I believe that has been true in the past. Can a person sign up and post their first fish at the same time? I'm concerned that a bunch of the people who usually participate aren't signed up yet.

Hey Craig - Don't worry too much. Yes. You can "sign-up" anytime which can include posting your first fish of the Challenge. I expect to see more participation now we have ice. I'm ready to get after some fish. Let the fun begin... Ron
Sounds good Ron, boy we are getting a late start this year, we're going to have to work our plan quickly this year.... But with low water maybe the fish will be concentrated? If they are I probably won't be able to find them... We got a good night last night that should start some better ice growth... Hopefully it will be more ice grown than will melt off the next day in the sunshine... Keeping my fingers crossed... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Here we go! joatmon and DailyAngler on the board!!!

Attached Files Image(s)

Standing Update - December 28, 2021
Wiperslayer1 posts up some nice fish!

[Image: Dec-28-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Standing update January 4, 2022. joatmon is in the lead and has 7 species posted. It is so good to see the ice building on the larger waters.

[Image: Jan-4-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Jan. 11 update. joatmon hangs on to the lead. DailyAngler post up the first burbot of the challenge. 

[Image: Jan-11-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Jan. 17 Standings update - TopH2O is on the board and posts the first predator. A Starvation walleye.

[Image: Jan-17-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

catchinon posts a Lake trout and burbot. Things are tightening up. We now have three tied for the top.

[Image: Jan-25-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

catchinon takes the lead and has posted 9 species!

[Image: Jan-30-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

joatmon regains the lead posting a 22" Lake trout. Just a little over a month left for the Ice Challenge. It's CRUNCH TIME!!!

Check out some of the prizes we have listed at the top of this thread. 

[Image: Feb-7-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Feb. 14, 2022 Update. Happy Valentines Day! It's good to see SkunkedAgain (Jeff) was able to get out on Big Blue and post up some fish.

[Image: Feb-14-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

February 23 update - SkunkedAgain post up a 13" Black crappie, moves up the rankings and takes the lead in the panfish category.
[Image: Feb-23-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

March 1, 2022 update - It's already March! Only two weeks left of the Ice Fishing Challenge. All posts must be in by midnight Tuesday March 15. Joatmon maintains the lead but there are others within close striking distance. Have fun and be safe out there. Ron

[Image: March-1-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

March 7, 2022 Update - Just over a week left for the Ice Challenge - Joatmon is still hanging on to the lead but we now currently have a three-way tie for second place.

[Image: March-7-Standings-Management-2021-2022.jpg]

Attached Files Image(s)

Just curious as to how this algorithm gathers the data for the placements for total species count vs total inches count vs largest of each species? Does anyone know? Would 3 or 4 species only but the largest put you in first place over someone with 10 species of non first place size but yet hes got 200" of fish vs the guy with 3 species and 40" of fish? Love the contest and always participate i just don't understand how it works out
Sure, Fritz - Of course someone knows. Lol. I developed the spreadsheet with the formulas used for tracking the Ice Challenge. Thanks for the question and your participation in the Challenge.

First off, did you read the rules? It is really quite simple. I feel it is explained well in the rules. Reading them should help. As you know, each fish you post falls within one of the 5 different categories (Panfish, trout, bass, predator or other). Only the largest fish you post within the category is ranked.  Your largest fish in that category is ranked against the other contestants' largest fish within the category.  To get your score, you add your rankings for each of the five categories. The contestant with the lowest score is the contest leader/winner.

So to answer your specific question.
Yes, you could potentially have the lowest total score (First Place) by only posting 3 or 4 species and 40" of fish, if they were the highest ranked for the three or 4 categories (say panfish, trout and bass) over someone with 10 species and 200", especially if they are all in one or two categories (Say 4 "Predators" and 6 "Other"). In this case, only two fish would be ranked for the contestant that posted 10 fish but the length for all 10 species would be added for total inches. So the "Challenge" is to get one large fish for each category.

We also like to track the number of species posted by each contestant and may provide a prize for the contestant that posts the most species. The spreadsheet tracks total inches mainly just for data and curiosity's sake.

Shoot me a PM if you still have questions.

Happy fishing! Ron
I like to look at things from different angles. If you add up the lengths of the largest fish in each category for each person you get a different result. But that's not the way the game is played. Just for fun here are the results of doing it this way:

joatmon 11.5+21.5+13+22+22 = 90
catchinon 11+19+17+20+22.5 = 89.5
hookingrinin 11+19+13.5+13.5+19 = 76
SkunkedAgain 13+20+13+25= 71
Wiperslayer1 11.5+21.5+27 = 60
DailyAngler 16+15+23 = 54
Fritzfishin 9.5+22.5+18 = 50
TopH2O 15
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.