Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I finally caught my Walleye!!
Hey guys! A few of you may remember that earlier this year I set off on a quest to catch my first walleye. Well, I can happily say that my mission and new years goal of catching a walleye has been completed! I fished Willard, Utah Lake, and Deer Creek with no luck. But, last week, me and my dad headed up to Starvation to try and catch some. I was getting really discouraged about an hour in. Winds at speeds of almost 15mph where blowing right at me. Making it freezing and super hard to cast my jigs. I was casting a black/white curly tail grub with a red jighead from shore. I would cast it out past the rocks where the rocks begin to mix with sand. Then slowly hopping it back. I was snagging on an underwater ledge almost every cast. Mix that with the 30 degree weather and pounding wind, and quitting was starting to sound more and more like a good idea. And then, the wind stopped really suddenly. The sun came out from the clouds and it warmed up. I started to feel good again when I went to give my jig another jerk and felt weight. For a split second I thought it was that dang ledge again. But then, I realized that when I gave a hard hookset, the "rock" moved. No longer a rock, I reeled in at a high rate of speed. My heart rate skyrocketed to an unhealthy amount when I saw what it was in the water.  A flash of gold, a lot of spiny fins, and I white tip on the tail. I don't know if I've ever been more exited than I was at that moment. One swoop of the net, and the fish was landed! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin The world seemed a little bit brighter from that moment on. Ended up catching one other before it was time to go. So happy to finally land one of these amazing fish! Next years goal: Musky!!

[Image: BYBTV-eye1.jpg]

[Image: BYBTV-eye2.jpg]

[Image: BYBTV-eye3.jpg]
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
Congratulations!
That's Great. I gave up chasing trout because it was no real challenge. Still take them, but the rewarding experience of catching walleyes is a great feeling.
I still remember that first tiger muskie, gave me the same thrill. Took a friend with the promise of getting a muskie. In four hours we had five!! Don't forget those days..
Walleyes from the shore is a good accomplishment, yours looks like a good size too. What area were you fishing?
When you go to starvation you can expect the wind, but some locations will get you out of the wind a little.
Great job..
Nice, job well done.
Very nice! Great story... Congrats!
So I hope you and the family enjoyed a fish fry that night !!! Way to go !!!
Congrats on the eyes, but Be careful one or two of them just aint enough, it turns into a bad habit, and a guy just cant get enough of them,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Oh boy, now you're REALLY in trouble. Walleye can become an obsession. A worthy one, mind you, but still...
(11-29-2021, 07:33 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Hey guys! A few of you may remember that earlier this year I set off on a quest to catch my first walleye. Well, I can happily say that my mission and new years goal of catching a walleye has been completed! I fished Willard, Utah Lake, and Deer Creek with no luck. But, last week, me and my dad headed up to Starvation to try and catch some. I was getting really discouraged about an hour in. Winds at speeds of almost 15mph where blowing right at me. Making it freezing and super hard to cast my jigs. I was casting a black/white curly tail grub with a red jighead from shore. I would cast it out past the rocks where the rocks begin to mix with sand. Then slowly hopping it back. I was snagging on an underwater ledge almost every cast. Mix that with the 30 degree weather and pounding wind, and quitting was starting to sound more and more like a good idea. And then, the wind stopped really suddenly. The sun came out from the clouds and it warmed up. I started to feel good again when I went to give my jig another jerk and felt weight. For a split second I thought it was that dang ledge again. But then, I realized that when I gave a hard hookset, the "rock" moved. No longer a rock, I reeled in at a high rate of speed. My heart rate skyrocketed to an unhealthy amount when I saw what it was in the water.  A flash of gold, a lot of spiny fins, and I white tip on the tail. I don't know if I've ever been more exited than I was at that moment. One swoop of the net, and the fish was landed! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin The world seemed a little bit brighter from that moment on. Ended up catching one other before it was time to go. So happy to finally land one of these amazing fish! Next years goal: Musky!!

[Image: BYBTV-eye1.jpg]

[Image: BYBTV-eye2.jpg]

[Image: BYBTV-eye3.jpg]

Welcome to the addiction. I was excited too when I caught my first walleye years ago on Willard. Nice job.
Gabe
Thank you all! And you are 100% right... I'm totally ice fishing for them this season! Already starting to plan some more trips!  Big Grin Big Grin
Why do I like fishing so much? The same reason why you like breathing so much, It keeps me alive.
(11-30-2021, 03:16 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Thank you all! And you are 100% right... I'm totally ice fishing for them this season! Already starting to plan some more trips!  Big Grin Big Grin

I have gotten them through the ice. Rattling spoons and tikka minnows/jigging raps have caught me a few. Pre dawn up until sunrise has been my most productive time of day. 28 ft seems to be a magical depth, with the fish being caught 3 to 4 ft off the bottom. Rocky areas near drop offs. Only lake I have had walleye ice success in Utah has been on Deer creek. I sure hope it ices over. I have gotten some over in Wyoming through the ice at Sulfur creek. Good luck getting them on the ice.
Gabe
(11-30-2021, 03:25 PM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(11-30-2021, 03:16 PM)Backyard Boy T.V. Wrote: Thank you all! And you are 100% right... I'm totally ice fishing for them this season! Already starting to plan some more trips!  Big Grin Big Grin

I have gotten them through the ice. Rattling spoons and tikka minnows/jigging raps have caught me a few. Pre dawn up until sunrise has been my most productive time of day. 28 ft seems to be a magical depth, with the fish being caught 3 to 4 ft off the bottom. Rocky areas near drop offs. Only lake I have had walleye ice success in Utah has been on Deer creek. I sure hope it ices over. I have gotten some over in Wyoming through the ice at Sulfur creek. Good luck getting them on the ice.
Gabe

Thanks for the advice!
Way to go!
(11-30-2021, 11:36 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: Way to go!

Thanks bro!