Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uintas Ice Fishing - First Time HELP!
I've never ice fished the Uintas before, but I've always wanted to give it a shot so I'm going to try for this Friday along the Mirror Lake Highway.  From other reports I've seen, it seems that the road is still open and mostly clear.  

Obviously without too many specifics (I don't want to take anyone's favorite spot or anything), what suggestions can any of you share with me that might help make the trip a little more successful?   Any and all suggestions will be welcome and greatly appreciated.  I'll post a follow-up after the trip.
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~
Its sounding like most if not all the lakes from trial and up are holding at 3-4in of ice. The weather has been pretty warm so the edges may be getting soft. I would use a spud bar if you have one and if not drill some holes as your moving out and around to ensure the ice is staying consistent. I would highly recommend wearing some ice pics just in case you go thru. Take a throw rope also. I have done good the last 2 trips tipping small jigs with nightcrawler and my buddie had good success with the small shrimp but they don't stay on as good as crawlers do. Jig color didn't seem to matter. We fished mostly in 6fow and less with better success than deeper water. Good luck and be safe.
I'm likely heading up to the Uintas this Friday as well. I've caught fish in anywhere between 3'-15' deep across multiple lakes, but I tend to have the most luck closer to the bottom. I've had success using a 5mm tungsten tipped with a mealworm, with the bite being aggressive to very subtle and I recommend having a fast action rod or a spring bobber to increase bite detection. I've also had luck using jig heads with plastics (Maki, Miff's customs, Henley's, and Maniac lures), these seem to work the best when the fish are more aggressive or willing to chase. Overall, the fish have been pretty hungry up in the Uintas so the fishing should still be good.
See my Trial Lake 11/26/2021 post. Last Friday Trial was on fire, where Mirror Lake was reportedly slower. I have seen reliable reports of people fishing Trial, Lost, Moosehorn, Mirror, Pass, and Butterfly lakes. Mirror Lake highway is open, side road to Trial is snowpacked and icy in spots. Hear that road down into Mirror Lake is a trap - may be hard to get back out.

Likely have 4-7 inches of ice on those lakes mentioned, but use caution as thicknesses vary. Use a spud bar or follow someone else's trail.

At Trial I caught fish both shallow and off the bottom. Any small jig tipped with any kind of worm will likely be successful. I went through all of the wax worms and meal worms I had last Friday, and most of my nightcrawlers. You just need a small piece of nightcrawler, and I was even pulling my meal worms in half and putting a piece on with chartreuse crappie nibble (powerbait). Fish were hungry and aggressive. Hope they are still that way for you. Good luck and be safe!

jack of all tackle, master of none
Excellent report joatmon. Just one note. Experts caution following others' tracks. Just be sure to use that spud. Conditions may have changed, etc.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for the advice! I was able to head up on Friday. I'll post a report! Thanks again!
~ A bad day fishing is better than a good day in the office ~