Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ice fishing list
Thanks so much for this list Catchinon. It really helped me finish off my main icefish list. I like to have everything possible on the list, doesnt mean I take it all everytime.
Thanks, DailyAngler, and all the others who had positive and constructive things to say. I even appreciated the gentle teasing from my friends. Some other people either misunderstood my purpose, can't read, are too simple, or insulting, mean, and nasty. I don't really take that much umbrage but I do want to answer and explain.
My PURPOSE was to make an all-inclusive list of items that anyone might want to take along, in all the scenarios I've experienced or know about here in Utah. PERSONALLY, since I'm getting older and have ADD (yes, really) I really do need such a list to help me make sure I don't leave something behind that I need or want. Without further ado-do, here is the list of what I have actually been taking this season:

Auger and drill with charged battery. I just bought an additional battery for when I go to FG next time
Backpack This holds a lot of sundry items that are on the list. I need to go through it and see what I can eliminate
Bags I try to always bring some large zip-lock bags for fish and a garbage bag that comes in handy for a multitude of uses
Bait & pucks What are going to do without bait?
Boots I have some big heavy ones with wool felt pacs that have never let my toes get cold. I've seen people out fishing in tennis shoes, etc.
Bungee cords I just take a few to make sure my gear stays in my sled.
Cash and cards Whatcha gonna do without that? As for cash, sometimes you need something, like in an emergency, where you can't pay with a card. Another example: I just bought an extra drill battery from a guy out on the lake at a deep discount. Couldn't have done it without cash.
Cell phone Well, duh. Certainly a safety item, probably the device you take pictures with, can keep track of others who are fishing the same lake, etc. Need to have it fully charged and find a way to charge it out on the ice.
Chair My back kills me if I stand too long. Nuff said.
Chap stick Don't you always carry a tube in your pocket. Sun, cold, and wind can just rip lips up.
Cleats I always carry these even when I'm almost positive I won't need them
Clothing Another duh item, right? I've made an additional list for exactly what I want to wear.
Coat I've left mine home twice this year but have managed because I usually bring more layers than I need.
Companion I will go fishing alone but never where there won't be other people around in case of an emergency.
Filet knife Do you just bite off a chunk of chub for bait? Lots of uses, including, um, fileting.
Flasher I've fished for many years without one, but is an essential in my arsenal now.
Gloves I seldom wear any while fishing but sometimes my fingers need a little warming up. Pretty essential when pulling a sled or riding a snowmobile
Hats I'm a little paranoid about being able to keep my head warm. I usually bring a regular stocking cap, one with a bill, and a ballcap. This week I wore a balaclava that covered my head down to my chest with a small opening for my eyes/glasses. Made my rides on the snowmobile almost comfy.
Headlamp Essential for overnighting at FG. Very helpful loading up in the morning and when leaving the lake after dark.
Ice scoop I've used my hands before but don't advise it.
Knives Actually this is just my pocket knife since I already covered the filet knife. Doesn't everyone carry one at all times. Oh, so useful.
Knife sharpener Just seems like a good idea and they don't take up much room.
License I guess that one's probably unnecessary since no one, ever, has left one behind.
Lighters Came in very handy when we couldn't light the lantern because the matches wouldn't light by striking. This is such an essential safety item that I always try to have two or three here or there.
Line clippers My old teeth are a little too dull to reliably bite line in two. Maybe biting line in two made them that way.
Lip grips Hope springs eternal that I'll catch a fish so big I'll need these to lift it up out of the hole.
Medications My day is much more enjoyable if I can breathe, not have my joints ache, and don't feel like puking or having diarrhea.
Paper towels Good for wiping hands, etc. Makes the best TP sometimes.
Pens and notebook Taking notes, making calculations, writing down things you want to remember; good if you get a sudden inspiration to write a haiku about fishing or the sunrise or something. Can make twists to light lanterns; leave notes, start fires, emergency TP.
Pepto-Bismol Relieves 5 Symtoms
Permits Essential at FG
Rescue rope
Rod case I have nothing fancy but it's nice to have a few rods contained.
Rods and reels I highly recommend these to all newcomers. I usually only take three of four but that may change. Having them rigged ahead of time is super helpful.
Scissors Not the big ones, the little ones they sell for cutting braided line. I mostly use them to cut up bait like chub, perch, or sucker.
Sled Gotta pretty much have one to haul your gear. I don't have a hitch yet--one more thing to buy.
Snowmobile Yeah, I finally got mine out on the lake this week. Sure lets you get around and saves a lot of labor.
Sunglasses I always keep a pair in my rod case.
Tackle Of course. I just need to organize mine better.
Tape measure I think everybody wants to know how big their fish are. Required at lakes with size restrictions and for contest entries.
Towels For wiping hands. I've started laying my fish on one to keep them from freezing their fins and eyes while I photo them.
TP Probably not needed because the toilets at lakes always have some. And no one has ever just had to go while out on a lake.
Wallet Put that on the list because one day the little stinker missed the boat when I transferred all the stuff in my pants pockets to my fishing pants.

Now I hope those of you who like to think you KISS will go through the list and see how many of these items you really do take. And I can't think of anything that would scare newcomers away faster than to get on the lake without half of all the things they needed. Cheers
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.