Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Gotta love Utah
Set myself a goal Tuesday night and Mother Nature cooperated and I got it done:
12/1-Shootin’ geese.
12/2-Trolled up bows at Deer Creek in my boat.
12/3-Put 32 fish on the ice in 2.25 hours at Mill Hollow.
[Image: 306-C8-F0-F-B4-C3-4517-A0-FA-780-DFA98-C6-C8.jpg]

[Image: 753697-A8-CD49-4555-866-A-68-E9-D742-C017.jpg]

[Image: DD261-D81-359-D-4-D65-A94-C-9216-B9-D1906-F.jpg]

[Image: E47-A93-E4-1-BEE-466-A-BBB8-D853-D84234-A9.jpg]
looks like you have had a good week.
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
How is mill hollow ice holding up in the warm weather
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
a
(12-03-2021, 11:52 PM)MrShane Wrote: Set myself a goal Tuesday night and Mother Nature cooperated and I got it done:
12/1-Shootin’ geese.
12/2-Trolled up bows at Deer Creek in my boat.
12/3-Put 32 fish on the ice in 2.25 hours at Mill Hollow.
snaptube vidmate
[Image: 306-C8-F0-F-B4-C3-4517-A0-FA-780-DFA98-C6-C8.jpg]

[Image: 753697-A8-CD49-4555-866-A-68-E9-D742-C017.jpg]

[Image: DD261-D81-359-D-4-D65-A94-C-9216-B9-D1906-F.jpg]

[Image: E47-A93-E4-1-BEE-466-A-BBB8-D853-D84234-A9.jpg]

nice catches
About 5” on shady side, can’t safely access sunny side.
No perch or walleye at Deer Creek?
No Pat,
Looked for them and Crappie for 3 hrs and struck out.
Lowered my standards to slimers in order to stay skunk-free….
Could you drive to Millow Hollow or did you have to use your snow machine?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Catch,
Sadly, I drove all the way in two wheel drive.
We are screwed next year if something with our snowpack does not change soon.
We eeked through two years of drought, no way we can make it next summer under these conditions.
This pic is me looking from my bucket to the north.
To access the side of lake I wanted to fish I walked through the campground that is practically in shade from the pines the entire day.
I dragged my sled through gravel patches on the campground road.
[Image: 9-AB30-C6-F-FFA0-4-D2-C-9-A64-2-E412-BF09-A39.jpg]
Thanks, Shane. I know just where you are talking about. Hadn't thought of going that way but it seems the only logical way. Could you also share water depth and species caught?
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Way to go Shane, sounds like another fun goal met... I need to go shoot a goose if i had someone to give it too... I'm not much into eating them anymore... and won't shoot them if they aren't going to be enjoyed... Maybe someone has a good way to cook them so they aren't so dry... Later J
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
I too gave up duck and goose hunting because I did not enjoy eating them Jeff. At this point in life I'm really not interested in getting back involved it that type of hunting but I will say that a few years ago I got out fishing with Dubob and he brought along some duck or goose sausage or salami and it was great, if I ever got into that type of hunting again, I would for sure be making it all into sausage and salami. You would have to ask Dubob to find out for sure but I think he said he took it to someone and they made it for him.

Shane- Great report, that is an awesome achievement, to be able to hunt and fish three days in a row like that and be successful at all three, congrats on some great outings.
Curt, I live right here in the middle of waterfowl country and totally loved hunting ducks, but after the first meal of the year, i'm pretty much good till the next year... But I do like the sausage idea, i did that with my last deer and it was gone so fast... I didn't think about it for waterfowl, but that may be a great way to use them.... Just wondering because, there has been a lot of geese around lately and not as many hunters as usual, so I was almost tempted to go try them again... But I'm sure I just ruined that by saying anything... Later J
Catch,
Since I was on my own I stayed close to shore in 10 fow.
I drilled a test hole every 10-15’ on way out and just started fishing when I was 45-50’ away from shore.
I’m sure if you go up there before it snows you will find my spot.
I think I am the only one in Utah who uses a true 4” auger.
I used a yellow bodied Finkee with 1/2” crawler, but I bet anything will work.
I caught Brooks, Tigers, and bows.
The bows were the healthiest of the bunch, followed by the Tigers.

Skunked and WH2,
Thanks!
I take my waterfowl and have it made in to breakfast sausage, salami, and snack sticks.
When I get a goose with a clean breast a delicious way to cook them is cut in to chunks, wrap in bacon, then skewer them to cook on grill till BARELY done. Fantastic!
I will have a batch finished in Feb and I will meet up with you both and hook you up with some if you would like?
Better yet, Skunked, if you have a field that geese are hitting I have the gear to hide both of us in a premium spread of decoys. Hint, hint….
I sometimes get a little bored of hunting my usual spot and enjoy trying a new spot and hunting with someone.
How’s that for a trade of a package of sausage (I’m getting the better end of the deal) haha.
Shane the geese haven't been landing in my field, but I'll keep an eye out for a spot we can get into and let you know... They are hitting the pond around the farm most nights lately. Someone got into them last night out on the pond, I wasn't watching how they did, but heard a lot of shots... I'll look a little more seriously and let you know if there is a promising spot... Thanks Jeff
PS... looking forward to trying the sausage...
(12-06-2021, 06:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Shane, sounds like another fun goal met... I need to go shoot a goose if i had someone to give it too... I'm not much into eating them anymore... and won't shoot them if they aren't going to be enjoyed... Maybe someone has a good way to cook them so they aren't so dry... Later J
Sous Vide at 131*F for 24 hrs and pan/grill sear for 1 minute per side.  Moist and tender as a Mother's love.
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-07-2021, 05:43 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-06-2021, 06:29 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Way to go Shane, sounds like another fun goal met... I need to go shoot a goose if i had someone to give it too... I'm not much into eating them anymore... and won't shoot them if they aren't going to be enjoyed... Maybe someone has a good way to cook them so they aren't so dry... Later J
Sous Vide at 131*F for 24 hrs and pan/grill sear for 1 minute per side.  Moist and tender as a Mother's love.

Dubob,

I've noticed that you have remained "79 years young" for several years now. What's the secret?
Bob, going to have to look that up, i'm not very well rounded I guess, but sounds good... Later Jeff
(12-06-2021, 07:14 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Curt, I live right here in the middle of waterfowl country and totally loved hunting ducks, but after the first meal of the year, i'm pretty much good till the next year... But I do like the sausage idea, i did that with my last deer and it was gone so fast... I didn't think about it for waterfowl, but that may be a great way to use them.... Just wondering because, there has been a lot of geese around lately and not as many hunters as usual, so I was almost tempted to go try them again... But I'm sure I just ruined that by saying anything... Later J

I used to kill alot of ducks and geese living on the Snake River in Idaho. I found my friends and family really enjoyed duck and goose jerkey when I would slice the breast meat, brine it and then smoke it.  Saves alot of room in the freezer as well.
Sunrise on the water
(12-07-2021, 06:36 PM)FishfulThinkin Wrote: Dubob,

I've noticed that you have remained "79 years young" for several years now. What's the secret?
That's really strange because I update the age every year on my birthday plus or minus a day or two - really; I do.

And the secret is to never stop moving.  Big Grin
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."