Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Trial Lake report
Joatmon took me back to Trial Saturday. He caught 78 there last week, including rainbows, brooks, and tigers. I was hoping to do as well, and maybe even add a grayling, but it wasn't to be. I got ll and he caught 38, including a number of tigers. I caught one tiger that I was going to use as a place-holder in the ice contest but I had to answer a call of nature before I took its picture and when I came back it was gone. Must have flopped around and got back to a hole. No biggie (that's a pun son). 

The best jig was a tungston painted white. Mine had a little green on top. I tried a real colorful one but they turned up their noses at it. I had best success adding a waxworm but Brett did better with 1/2 mealworm. We each caught at least one with a nubbin of earthworm. We were fishing just a little way out from the center of the dam in 16 feet of water. Most fish were caught right on the bottom, or I should say very near it. The bottom also proved to be best for the tigers but we caught rainbows everywhere. We got fish from 8' down. I usually had to jig some to attract the fish but most wanted a dead presentation after the jigging. Got lots of lookers and bumpers. The bite was usually very light. I had a hard time setting the hook. I think my reaction time has slowed with age. Some hits were fairly strong but they seemed to be pop-and-drops. I switched to a spring bobber on one rod halfway through. That improved my bite detection but little to help my hook-up rate. A second rod produced nothing though I kept it down and sometimes jigged it. The bite rate varied a bit throughout the day and finally just shut down later in the afternoon.

The air temperature was 19° when we arrived around 8:30. The weather was relatively pleasant although the breeze kicked up a time or two. Should have seen my chair doing a curling move. There was essentially no snow on the ice. You would probably need to have 4-wheel-drive to get up the hill to the lake--very icey hardpack in spots. There were quite a few vehicles in the parking areas but even though there were quite a few anglers it wasn't crowded.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Thanks for the report and for going with me. It was also nice to meet and chat with fellow BFTer JBSparkie on the ice.

jack of all tackle, master of none
(12-06-2021, 04:20 PM)joatmon Wrote: Thanks for the report and for going with me.  It was also nice to meet and chat with fellow BFTer JBSparkie on the ice.

It was nice to meet you both. Thanks for chatting with me. Hope to run into you again. Ill try to do better in posting about my trips.