Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Safe ice digest
Here's my annual list of waters that are safe to ice fish. I consider 4" to be safe but it's each person's own determination of what is safe to them. Be sure to evaluate the situation as you go. I won't report how the fishing was/is nor much of anything else. You may post any waters here or you can send me a PM. I will garner my info from BFT reports mostly but will use any source that I can.

There was enough ice at Moosehorn on Halloween day. Various lakes in the Uintas have been steadily freezing over as time has passed. Trial Lake has been safe to fish for a coupla weeks. Mirror Lake and several others in that area have been reported safe to fish now. Joatmon: "I have seen reliable reports of people fishing Trial, Lost, Moosehorn, Mirror, Pass, and Butterfly lakes. Mirror Lake highway is open, side road to Trial is snowpacked and icy in spots. Hear that road down into Mirror Lake is a trap - may be hard to get back out." Mill Hollow off Highway 35 near Wolf Creek Pass has been fishable for a while.

12/10/21  I heard a rumor last week that people were fishing on thin ice (2.5-3") at Mammoth/Huntington. It is usually one of the very first outside of the Uintas to be ready to fish. If someone goes, please let us know.

12/13/21  "I went to Huntington (mammoth) yesterday. There was 6" of ice." 
Got this report from a guy who fished Scofield today: 8" ice by the dam and 3" at Madsen Bay.

12/16/21  On the camera at Provo Harbor it looks like there may be a skiff of ice that you could fish through from the docks. You can access the camera at:
https://stateparks.utah.gov/parks/utah-l...onditions/

12/17/21  At 2:00 today I could see that the Provo Marina had some ice capping most of the harbor. However I did see a boat moving out the channel so I guess they were able to bust through any ice there may have been at the third ramp. 

12/18/21  Some fishing through 1-2" ice off the docks at Provo yesterday. Several people fished the Mud Creek Bay at Strawberry today where there is 3.5-4" of ice.

12/19/21 Newton: "Got out on the lake today. Ice was 3" total with some cloudy and some clear." Sounds real marginal to me, maybe by the time somebody else gets there it will have thickened up enough.

12/20/21  "Drove by Otter Saturday seen small group on ice near the boat ramp. Most of lake caped but sketchy ice."
Scofield: "Went Saturday Madsen Bay. Perfect conditions. 8" good ice. Couple inches of snow on top."[/font][/size][/color]
Willard and Mantua are capped but the ice is not thick enough yet. Soon. If you go be fully prepared and content to walk away if the ice is too thin. Mantua has 2.5-3" ice--way sketchy in my opinion.
Provo Harbor via camera: Several people were fishing off the docks. Some were walking on the ice, but it has to be pretty thin. I'll have an on-site update later today. I fished at the harbor this afternoon. I couldn't detect any ice thicker than 2". Several people had walked on the ice to get around the barriers/gates on the long docks but no one ventured out onto the ice as far as I could tell. The ice was melted away from the docks a bit on the south side.
"I just drove by Strawberry a couple hours ago. There is a lot of ice forming but still a lot of open water in the main lake and in the Ladders area." Strawberry Bay is capped and the people who run the marina think it will be ready to fish by Christmas.
"Fishermen or women (did not check that close) are on the ice at Echo today.  I dont have time to check ice conditions, so can't say what thickness they ventured out on."
"Panguitch Lake has 4” of ice I fished the north boat ramp and could see a handful of people scattered around the lake."

12/22/21  "the non current areas in Cutler have frozen to 4" as of yesterday, but you have to know the safe zones so always check to make sure..."

12/24/21  "Fished mantua yesterday from 12-4. Only made it out to 5fow as the ice was a little inconsistent. Fished on 4in of ice but found a few spots the spud bar went right thru. Lots of folks ice skating on the north side of the lake which was straight ice, no snow on it at all. The ice should be good to go after a couple more cold nights. Be safe if your heading out here and check the ice as your moving around."
Fritz and I fished Newton yesterday. The ice was right around 4". By the time we left at 1:00 the surface had melted. Use all precautions if you go as the ice could be thinning with warm weather and rain. There was no snow on the ice so cleats would be wise.
This just in about Mantua: "Someone just posted on a FB ice fishing page that the ice is toast there this am". The consensus is that it just isn't safe now.

12/26/21  "Went to Utah lake state park this morning.  Ice is unsafe in the harbor, so I fished on the dock."

12/28/21  "I went to Echo today. Parked next to ramp and walked to the other side of the reservoir. Ice is 4 inches thick. One or to large cracks in the ice sheet, but avoidable." A number of people are fishing on Echo.

12/29/21 Flaming Gorge: "Rumors are that the ice is pressing further south and has been seen towards the confluence, but last I heard, it was still unsafe at that point... 2" last I heard, but it's been 3 or 4 days, so nothing fresh for status... Hopefully if it gets as cold as predicted, you may see ice safe to the confluence before too long..."
Newton: "I made it out there this morning. Ice was only a bit sketchy on the edge."
Grantsville is capped but the ice is only 1" thick.
Hyrum is capped but not fishable yet. It shouldn't be too long. Pretty much the same at Porcupine.
Pineview:  "The ice looked iffy on Monday and no one was fishing it but again that could have changed." "I saw a few people fishing it yesterday. A group or two in the dam arm near where it opens to the north. I saw another near Remington. No idea on thickness."
Settlement:  A member fished there today. He reported 3-3.5" of ice. There were a couple of other tents out there, too. I'll have an update tomorrow. Maybe with the cold it will be 4" then.
"Big Sandy capped about a week ago. I checked it Monday and the edges were soft and the ice is not very thick. Maybe by this weekend. It won't be long."
A member fished at Strawberry Mud Creek today. He said there were 6-7" of ice where they fished.
"Ventured to Strawberry with only really reports of Mud Creek being frozen we went over to the marina just to see. There were a few braver than me fishing east of the lodge where there is still visible open water few hundred yards out. We went in to badger bay and did decent....Ice was 5” where we fished."

12/30/2021  "12/28/21 Fished Strawberry. 4.5 inches of ice near the marina. Think I could see open water way out there but not sure."

12/31/21  "This might be outdated a little but thought it might help. Birch creek 3 weeks ago had about 30 yards of ice at the dam. Guys that were on it said it was 3”. 
Woodruff was ice free." Last night Pineview near the trail head parking on the north side of the narrows had a good 4” of clear ice...."
We fished Settlement Canyon Reservoir yesterday. The ice was 4" thick and a number of people were out on it.
"Went to Pineview this morning.  There were a few people fishing.  Access is very limited and mentioned in previous posts.  Talked to one group on my way out.  They were in 15' of water, 3" of ice....  I went about 20 yards farther out to get into deeper water and the ice was about 2.5" and not too strong.  Decided to leave and come back another day.  Slush monster was huge, edges were wet."
"We fished it [Pineview] last night and ice was a good 4” thick and clear. We were on the north side of the dam at the trail head parking lot."
"Fished Echo this morning.  Ice was 4" closer to shore, about 3" farther out.  It was clear and strong ice. Edges were soft right where it meets the shore.
"There was a brave soul cruising around Mantua on a 4wheeler today.  Ice was probably 4-5" where we fished.  Quite a few folks were spread out all across the lake. I would expect there could still be a few soft spots from springs and closer to the inlet but I didn't venture that far out myself.  That said there were several folks fishing over that end." "I've heard it's 2" - 2 1/2" at spots out in the middle, with 4" - 5" near the docks. The new snow doesn't help matters, watch out for the springs in there."
It doesn't look like Rockport is ready yet. "I wouldn't consider it safe quite yet. I checked it this week and there are open patches of water still."

1/1/22  We went to Newton today. There is 6" of ice and a few snowmobiles were out on the lake.

1/2/22  Mantua: "I would say 4" max, but we had no problems...I was also surprised hearing, and seeing, a guy traveling around in the middle with his Sno Dog, with extra sled and a passenger...that may have been pushing it..."
Willard: "No one was fishing that I saw while there,but the Parks guy said someone had tried that fisherman dock with no luck. I went over there and checked it out and it was just over 2", that ice has been on there longer than the ice in the bay so I did not want to walk on it. I went to the South marina and the harbor looked thick enough, there was two guys there, not fishing just checking the ice, they said the channel was very thin, they had thrown a rock and it broke through. Maybe two more cold nights might freeze the lake better but I think I'll wait a while longer."
"Some guys fished Mud Creek today and reported lots of new snow and 5 - 7" of slush in most spots. Apparently the parking lot was also really ugly."
"Went to Lost Creek this morning (1/1/22). We got there at the same time as another group. The ice seemed thick enough based on one hole and the cold temps we've had. A gentleman from the other group fell through the ice up to his chest, so they packed out. We walked across most of the length of the ice along the dam and started drilling holes, and then I fell through to my waist. So we packed out. We drove down the arm to the boat ramp to check it out, ice there was a hair thicker and we managed to land a few fish close to shore. Be safe out there, it only takes one weak spot to fall through. The ice currently seems weak."
"Went fishing at the [Utah Lake] state park with friends on New Year day.  Ice around the harbor is a little thicker and there was an ice tent on the ice with a group of people fishing by it.  Seen several people walking on the ice.  I stayed on the dock."
Panguitch: "Ice was 10" where we were at.  5" clear and 5" white."
Otter Creek: "Anyway There was 3" of ice by the dam.  Had to find somewhere to get on the ice as there was lots of the edge that had water.About half way up the the lake it was total open water.  I dun fergot to pay attention as we passed by the north end so no report about it.There were quite a few people on the ice. All were by the edge.  I ventured out about 100 yds checking ice as I went. 3" all the way out.  There was no snow on it so a fellar could watch the cracks for thickness."
"Jan 1 2023 @1100hrs. I just checked the ice at Hyrum at the Beaches and the dam. The spud bar
went right thru with one hit. Estimate 1 to 1.5 inches of clear hard ice.  To thin
for safe fishing in my opinion but it won't be long."
"Was on Echo this morning.  -15 degrees when we pulled in at 6:45 AM.  Found 5 inches ice under 3 inches snow and 2 inches slush."

1/3/22  "I fished Smith and Morehouse on Saturday. The road up to the reservoir was all packed down snow. I didn't see any vehicles up there but easy access for snowmobiles. The lake was ~6-8 inches of solid ice with ~2 inches of cloudy ice on top. There was also 2-3 inches of slush with 1.5 ft of snow on top, making it exhausting to walk across the lake."
"Update on the ice report at UL state park, ice thickness is about 2” and there are quite a few brave souls waking on it."  I, too, witnessed that through the Nest Cam. Hard to believe people would do that. I even saw them right next to the docks on the southern exposure where the ice often melts away. Humans supposedly have a survival instinct, but then there is Darwin's Law.
"Went to rockport yesterday arrived around 9:00 went just off the boat ramp about 100 Yards ice was 3 inches at the most." A few other people were out on the ice.
Report by Ryno, the Flaming Gorge resident expert:"With the cold temps the past week, ice has shot down reservoir and as of last Friday extended to just above Currant Creek.  The thicker sheet (about 6-inches) ends just below the Confluence and Forest Service Road 11.  Roads were good with minimal snowpack.  I fished two days in the Confluence and here's a quick report.
Ice was variable, ranging from 3-6 inches.  Some spots recently froze, and were obviously thinner, and I don't recall so much variability in this reach of the reservoir."
Provo Harbor: "We measured the ice, today, just before we left and it was 4" thick where we were fishing." Be cautioned that the ice thickness could vary around the harbor and channel. Go slow and check.
"I just got back from a trip to Rockport. I was on the west side and the ice is not consistent. I drilled a hole just off the bank and got around 2.5 inches. Went out a bit farther where there was snow on the ice and came up with just over 1 inch. Walked off carefully and went farther down the bank line. What I found was that the ice where the wind has cleaned off the snow was 4 inches. 2.5 inches of ice with 1.5 inches of frozen slush."

1/4/22  "We fished [Jordanelle Rock Cliffs] on Friday Dec 31st on 4-5 or so inches of ice with 2-3 inches of partially frozen slush."
"Was [at Rockport] yesterday as well. Did not turn out like I planned at all! BE VERY CAREFUL if you venture out on that ice--particularly as JeepNut stated on those snow patches. Started out from the ramp and drilled--only on the frosted ice, not the snow patches which was a BIG mistake--out to the river channel in 42' of water. Not much on the finder and 3.5" of ice everywhere I drilled. I then headed towards the rocky point and crossed one of those snowy patches. As I walked I heard slight cracking and thought it was just the top layer of snow/slush. WRONG! The bottom fell out and in I went. Lucky there was a guy about 30 yards away who came to my assistance. I didn't need any, thank God, but was encouraged that at least someone was near. I was benefited greatly by my Frabill ice coveralls and mickey mouse boots that kept me slightly afloat and able to easily flatten out as I tried to gain purchase on the disintegrating ice. Finally, after about six feet or so I was able to kick enough to gain solid ice and pulled myself out. That'll get your heart going! My heavy sled sat at the opposite edge of the large hole I had just created. Thank you, thank you to the kind gentleman that got behind my sled and pulled it back from the abyss.

Lessons learned: fishing alone on first ice is not a good idea; did not check ice thickness on the snowy patches--that I should have; did not have a spud bar--that I should have; had my hand spikes in my pocket--instead of accessible  around my neck; did not have my sled strap around my body--that may have saved my life--need a longer sled strap; took the advice from previous posts about laying flat and and kicking my feet; glad for flotation coveralls--with Carharts or other cloth clothing that could have weighed me down and under--as it was, I really only went in to my waist and easily flattened out; was warned to be extremely careful out there and was not, obviously!

I was hesitant to post this because of all the stupid mistakes I made but---figured with the snow/rain and warm forecast this week, the snowy, and then avoidable, patches on Rockport would be covered and become very dangerous indeed. I hope it keeps someone else from going in. Again, thank you to the gentleman that came to my assistance!!  I'm glad it turned out that the only damage was to my pride and my old iPhone. Be careful out there!!

1/5/22  "I hit Starvation yesterday afternoon to check on the ice condition and fish for a couple hours. I arrived at Knight Hollow to two other groups fishing in shelters. There was evidence of a lot of wind recently. From the road you could see a lot of sand had blown off the beach and on to the ice. Not good for maintaining sharp auger blades. When I got down to the lake I could see the wind had broken up the ice and it had refrozen and was solid. The Lake was capped as far as I could see from Knight Hollow. Although there were obvious areas of new ice. The edges were good with no soft water in sight. I headed out off the main point and over the inlet channel to set up. The ice was a solid 7 - 8" thick and very little snow on top."
"We fished [Jordanelle Rock Cliff arm] on Friday Dec 31st on 4-5 or so inches of ice with 2-3 inches of partially frozen slush."
"Rockport is definitely not safe and there’s 3 days of warm temps that are going to make it more unsafe. I was there the same day you fell in and I started on 3” of ice but found my self on a couple spots that were about 1”-1.5”. "

1/6/22  "Anyway went to Newton today... Started out at 6:30, but was 9:00 before I got my line in the water  Snow turned to rain shortly after I got on the lake and my nice dry spot I was fishing turned into 3-4" of water and slush by go home time... Sure was a cold day for me even though I had the tent, I guess I got wet to start off and it really chilled me to the bone, so wasn't the most comfy day... When it was time to go I ended up making a wake with the snowmobile and two sleds as I slopped out out there... Anyway if your going to fish Newton in the next little while make sure you have good high topped water proof boots and be ready for a sloppy mess.... Hope this condition will correct itself soon, but I expect it will take till after the storm ends and the cool temps return to correct itself..."

1/7/22  Provo Harbor had quite a few fishers out on the ice while others stayed on or near the docks. Ice varied from 2-4". A man fishing near the barrior on the long dock told me that a week or so back a boy fell through the ice while going around the barrior. The ice near the docks in that area can be deceptively thin.

1/8/22  Mill Meadow had spots of open water while there was up to 10" of ice in other places.
Starvation is currently unsafe with deterioration of ice that was fine a few days ago, due to warm and windy weather.
People were fishing at Soldier Creek today and the parking lot and road at Chicken Creek West were packed. A man at the Strawberry Bay Marina said that the entire lake capped a few days back but much of the lake is still unsafe. It has been reported that they are not plowing the Mud Creek road and parking lot but he assured me that was untrue.
You'll need a long plank to get out onto Echo. The edges are very weak.

1/10/22 Soldier Creek arm has 10" thick ice.
Some people are getting out on limited areas at Hyrum but it's not really ready yet. If you must, proceed with great care.

1/11/22  "Utah lake state park had 3-4" on Friday when I went dow., Saratoga marina had about 1-1.5" as well...
Settlement had 3" on the west end by the dam and 6" on the east end by the inlet as of 1-9-22"
There is no ice to speak of at Deer Creek.
Lost Creek: " Saw about six different groups out on the ice, three closer to the dam and three back by the boat ramp. It looked pretty solid from what I could gather. I also talked briefly with someone coming off the ice. They said it was a good 6”.

1/12/22  "East Canyon 5-6" of clear ice around the state park and boat ramp.  No snow on the ice.  Slick conditions."
It appears that Hyrum is getting more attention by ice fishers out on ~5" of ice.
Mantua: "thickness about 6 or 7" today". Just be careful of the thin ice from the "springs."
A few people are fishing on Rockport. But then somewhere someone is running naked in the middle of the traffic on an interstate highway. Message from your mother: "Just because some people are doing it doesn't make it safe." St. Peter to a new arrival who is holding a little, short fishing pole:"What are you doing here? You're way ahead of schedule." Response:"Well, you see, there was this ice-covered lake that some guys were out fishing on and I thought ..." I'll wait for a solid report of at least 4" of clear ice.

1/19/22  Starvation: "We fished at Knight Hollow which is currently the only easily accessible place with safe ice conditions.  Be very careful elsewhere on the reservoir since conditions are not safe.  The ice at Knight Hollow was about 7 to 8 inches thick and good and solid.  There is no snow cover so the ice is VERY slick and it gets worse with the heating of the day.  Please invest in a good pair of cleats so you don't become a victim of a nasty fall.  The edges did soften a little by late afternoon but we didn't have any problems coming off the ice."
Hyrum has been heavily fished this week; don't know for sure if the ice is thick enough for machines.
Bountiful Pond has 2" of ice and some people have been out on it. Not recommended, but a place to keep an eye on if you live nearby.
I just put in a call to Strawbery Bay Marina. They said there is 8-12" of ice everywhere. They charge $40 per person to shuttle out on the ice.
Just about anywhere that usually gets ice fished has at least some spots where people are out on the ice. My reports will be somewhat curtailed until such time as there is any really significant change in safety conditions. Have fun out there and stay safe!
"We're heading up to Rockport [a few days ago].  Reports are that the ice thickness is good to go for machines." The edges were okay but the ice is extremely slick. Even with cleats the snowdog had a bit of a time with it. The ice is not safe if you don't wear cleats. Update: "There were 2 dogs, a snowmobile, and an ATV w/ tracks out on the ice yesterday.  Slickest ice I've ever been on.  I'm VERY glad I studded my track."
Flaming Gorge: " the gorge [has] safe ice from there [ the confluence] all the way up both arms. Just be cautious around any south facing cliffs that get a lot of sun. That ice can be dangerously thinner because of the heat and glare coming off the rock." The ice is 8-10" around the confluence and 12-14 at Firehole.

1/23/22  Fish Lake "8" Clear ice where we fished by Mackinaw campground.
Some packed snow on edges but none to speak of on the lake.  It was slick.
It was pretty busy today.
People all the way up the lake on the highway side.
Saw a few 4 wheelers out.
Did not see any snow machines.
Did not see anyone across the lake nor did I see any open water."
Porcupine is being fished.
Flaming Gorge Firehole has 13" of ice with about 1.5" of fresh snow on top, just enough to give traction, but it's still very slick underneath.

1/24/22  The ice is still good at Vernon Reservoir.
Porcupine:  "I'm sure the Ice is great we took Allens four wheeler and snow mobile out on it it was 16+ inches thick."

1/29/22  On our way back from Strawberry yesterday we saw a few people walking around on the ice south of the island at Deer Creek. There was one lonely red tent on the other side of that bay and quite a way out.
Bear Lake:  "The entire area of Cisco Beach was iced over but not thick enough to walk on yet. Most of the lake was iced over with ice some open water around, a few people were out on the ice near the pumphouse and first point boat launch. I would be more cautious. I don't think much of that ice has good thickness. But conditions could change pretty quickly with these cold temps."
Grantsville has 8" of ice now.

1/30/22  Bear Lake: "The lake frozen over on Friday night.  Yes, there is still some open water but there is ice and anglers started fishing through it on Saturday.  More were out today. Its about 2-3" in some spots and simple not frozen in other spots.  Cisco are running along Cisco Beach but the ice along there is only about 1" and not strong enough to stand on."

1/31/22 Deer Creek: "Checked the ice on the north end today and found 6" after getting past the thin edge. Then drove around the rest of the reservoir and there were a few groups fishing by the highway just north of the island. A few more by the highway south of the island. Two groups fishing in rainbow bay and one out on walsberg bay. Still a patch of open water by the main boat ramp. Ramp is iced in but there may be open water to the shore over by sailboat beach as there were some kayaks out paddling around when I was there. Didn't check ice thickness at any other place then the north end so proceed with caution."

2/1/22  Bear Lake: "Well the ice fishing season lasted two days and was looking good this morning.  People were dipnetting limits of cisco through the ice at Cisco Beach and ice fishing from First Point north to Cisco Beach.  Then about 11am the wind came up!  In less than an hour it opened up more than a mile of water off the marina and much of the south end of the lake.  Several anglers were stranded on ice flows and literally lost some of their equipment and were lucky as heck to not have lost their lives.  They were swimming across the open water while towing their ice sleds (I can't make this up folks).  So, I have no idea of if or when Bear Lake may or may not re-freeze, but it's supposed to be cold and calm the next few days, so we'll see.  I would not plan on fishing Bear Lake from a boat or attempting ice fishing until it either opens up or locks up."

2/4/22  "Bear Lake is entirely frozen, and ice fishing has been good for anglers along the east side of the lake, from the pump house north to Second Point. The ice on the east side averages 4 to 7 inches thick, but it can be very variable in many places due to springs and methane vents on the bottom of the lake. Temperatures in the Bear Lake Valley are frigid right now, and ice along the west side of the lake is getting thicker. We’re not aware of any anglers who have ventured onto the ice along the western shoreline yet, though. If you’re planning to ice fish, be extremely careful. No matter where you fish on the ice at Bear Lake, bring a spud bar so you can check how thick the ice is as you walk around. You should also wear a set of rescue ice picks around your neck. The picks will give you a better chance of pulling yourself out of the water if you happen to fall through."

2/11/22  "Bear Lake Fishing Report – Thursday, February 10, 2022
Bear Lake is entirely frozen and anglers are doing well ice fishing.  On the east side of the lake, from the pump house north to the state line the ice is about 8-11 inches thick.  Ice on the west side of the lake from Garden City to the south end of the lake, the ice is averaging 7-8 inches thick.  Be aware that ice conditions on Bear Lake can be very variable in many places due to springs and methane vents on the bottom of the lake.  If you are planning to ice fish, be extremely careful.  You should always wear a set of rescue ice picks around your neck. The picks will give you a better chance of pulling yourself out of the water if you happen to fall through."

2/21/22  "I was fishing on 11" of ice last Saturday near where that guy died this morning at Steinaker. Ice went from 18" to 11" in not too far. There is an inlet in that area which is why the variable ice. So with current, warmth and wind, it made for a bad situation. Other lakes around our area have gone from 12" to 6" recently (Pelican) and 10" to 1" at a smaller lake. Be careful out there y'all!"
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Bump. I expect things to really begin locking up soon with the cold weather that's coming. I also welcome reports about places that are marginal; hopefully this will keep some innocents from giving it a go when it really isn't ready to go.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Oh yeah, I think it's finally going to turn winter... Bring it on... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Here's a recent report on Scofield: "I drove over to scofio yesterday, there was 1" of ice... Still not quite safe enough. I'll bet by Wednesday it'll be golden." I will add it to the list when I get a confirmation of how it's progressing. I heard a rumor quite a while ago that some people were fishing on a small patch in the dam arm, but again, no confirmation.

Panguitch is reported as still having some open water.

"I went up on the Saturday the 11th. Fished by the dam with about 8-10 other groups. There was 4-5" of ice in a small section. The rest of the lake was capped with thin ice. I would guess it should have a lot of fishable ice by the weekend."

(12-16-2021, 04:21 PM)catchinon Wrote: "I went up on the Saturday the 11th.  Fished by the dam with about 8-10 other groups.  There was 4-5" of ice in a small section.  The rest of the lake was capped with thin ice.  I would guess it should have a lot of fishable ice by the weekend."

For those who don't know, this was Scofield.
Nice catch, Kent. I hate when I do that. I had thought I would put it in the digest at the top but wanted to bump the thread up and forgot to put the lake down here. Thanks for keeping me on the strait and narrow.

A number of lakes are on the cusp right now. I'll add them on as soon as I get solid reports. Check other threads if you want to know what is being watched by others. And please send in your reports here. And please, please, stay safe.

Craig, the non current areas in Cutler have frozen to 4" as of yesterday, but you have to know the safe zones so always check to make sure... I know I'm the only one dumb enough to fish Cutler, but just in case anyone else is looking for a spot where they can try 22 times with only one bite, it's getting there... One of these years I'll figure this place out.... and it is in my back yard so that's why I keep trying it that much with so little success... Crazy that I can catch channels in one trip at Willard, but can't buy a bite all winter at home... Later J
Craig got a report from Newton. It was 3.5 to 5” today and really cracking a lot. Later J
Thanks for keeping this going. I’m hoping to hit the hard deck this weekend and I appreciate the info.
12/28/21 Fished Strawberry. 4.5 inches of ice near the marina. Think I could see open water way out there but not sure. Fishing started good then slowed down. White tube was king.
Thanks for the ice updates, I appreciate it when this info is shared.
This might be outdated a little but thought it might help.
Birch creek 3 weeks ago had about 30 yards of ice at the dam. Guys that were on it said it was 3”.
Woodruff was ice free.
Last night Pineview near the trail head parking on the north side of the narrows had a good 4” of clear ice and fishing was great for crappie. Not many keepers.
I fished Smith and Morehouse on Saturday. The road up to the reservoir was all packed down snow. I didn't see any vehicles up there but easy access for snowmobiles. The lake was ~6-8 inches of solid ice with ~2 inches of cloudy ice on top. There was also 2-3 inches of slush with 1.5 ft of snow on top, making it exhausting to walk across the lake. Fished near the boat ramp, 100 feet further out and along the opposite side of the ramp. All fish were caught in the 5-20 FOW range with plastics and mealworms. Mostly all rainbows but there was a single red kokanee caught as well.
Palisades has 2-3" by the boat dock.
Whole lake is capped.
(01-04-2022, 03:54 AM)Zanomack Wrote: PaliSades has 2-3" by the boat dock.
Whole lake is capped.

Just to be clear, is that Utah or Idaho?

(01-04-2022, 03:43 PM)catchinon Wrote:
(01-04-2022, 03:54 AM)Zanomack Wrote: PaliSades has 2-3" by the boat dock.
Whole lake is capped.

Just to be clear, is that Utah or Idaho?

Utah. Sanpete county.
Utah lake state park had 3-4" on Friday when I went dow., Saratoga marina had about 1-1.5" as well...
Settlement had 3" on the west end by the dam and 6" on the east end by the inlet as of 1-9-22
East Canyon 5-6" of clear ice around the state park and boat ramp.  No snow on the ice.  Slick conditions. Was 5 degrees this morning when I arrived.