Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
12V to 24V trolling motor change
Folks, I just upgrade the old 12V trolling motor with a 24V Minn Kota Ultrex. I need to buy 2 batteries, 3 bank charger, and a new plug. Anyone have any insight as to which I should buy and what to look for?
Thanks for any advice

Tight Lines
it depends on how much $$$$ you have left, recommend AGMs as big as you can a ford, also if you have a 2 bank charger, just buy a single and hook it to your cranking and the 2 bank to the others, if you have $$$$$$$$ burning in your pockets, get lithium Ions,
               O.C.F.D.
[Image: download.jpg]
Marinco 12VCPS3 70A Trolling Motor Plug and Receptacle is a great plug and receptacle. I purchased mine on eBay.
(12-07-2021, 10:54 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Marinco 12VCPS3 70A Trolling Motor Plug and Receptacle is a great plug and receptacle.  I purchased mine on eBay.

Agreed on the plug and receptacle.  I used the same one.  Robust and easy to use.
Before you buy the Marinco be sure to check out the ‘Battery Tender’ plug.
Absolutely unbeatable.
AGM, I have been using one in my boat for years since 07' and its still holding up. [i]Have one wet cell deep cycle battery working side by side with a dual starting/deep cycle AGM. I'm transitioning my vehicle batteries over to AGM also. I followed advice from a couple of fellows who use NOCO smart onboard chargers and purchased a 2 bank charger. This is what works for me, my boat stays garaged until I go on my adventures so the batteries maintain a charge. [/i]
[Image: P3100003.jpg]
Harrisville UT
2000 7.3L F250 Superduty  '07 Columbia 2018 Fisherman XL Raymarine Element 9HV 4 Electric Walker Downriggers Uniden Solara VHF
(12-08-2021, 02:07 PM)Bduck Wrote: AGM, I have been using one in my boat for years since 07' and its still holding up. [i]Have one wet cell deep cycle battery working side by side with a dual starting/deep cycle AGM. I'm transitioning my vehicle batteries over to AGM also. I followed advice from a couple of fellows who use NOCO smart onboard chargers and purchased a 2 bank charger. This is what works for me, my boat stays garaged until I go on my adventures so the batteries maintain a charge. [/i]

Thanks for the response. You run a 24 volt trolling motor with one wet cell and 1 AGM dual cycle?

(12-07-2021, 09:01 PM)MSM1970 Wrote: it depends on how much $$$$ you have left,    recommend  AGMs as big as you can a ford,  also if you have a 2 bank charger, just buy a single and hook it to your cranking and the 2 bank to the others,  if you have $$$$$$$$ burning  in your pockets, get lithium Ions,

Thanks for the info. Lithium Ions are totally out of my pay range Smile

(12-08-2021, 12:46 AM)MrShane Wrote: Before you buy the Marinco be sure to check out the ‘Battery Tender’ plug.
Absolutely unbeatable.

Thanks, I'll look into that one.

(12-07-2021, 10:54 PM)kentofnsl Wrote: Marinco 12VCPS3 70A Trolling Motor Plug and Receptacle is a great plug and receptacle.  I purchased mine on eBay.

I watched a YouTube video on that one. Looks like a good choice.
battery's AGM at least 100 amp hours     lots of money but well worth it.  but maybe you   don't fish as much as I do.

https://www.batteriesplus.com/battery/marine-and-boat
You might want to look at direct wiring your motor and batteries with a 35amp breaker on both leads. Will negate any problems that you have with the plug shorting and loosening. Be sure that you have at least 35amp breakers wired into the system. For charging, go to Wally World and get a Shauer(sp) 8volt battery charger. It is a smart charger and will do just fine for your starter battery. Just hook up your 2 bank charger to your trolling batteries and the other one to your starter battery. It will charge your battery and then switch to maintain mode.

Batteries are a big question these days. IF you have the money, Lithium are the way to go. More power, less weight, and they last forever( not really). You are looking at $1500 plus for two. Otherwise the AGM route is by far the way to go. You also need to think about power for your electronics. Most guys today have at least two depth finders on the boat, sometimes 3 or 4. Those things really use the juice and can run your main battery out during a days fishing. Make sure your starter battery is in good condition and that it has the amperage to run your electronics and still start your big motor. Nothing worse than after a days fishing to sit down and turn the key on the big motor and have the starter go "click" no juice. Again, a lithium starter battery will pretty much eliminate those problems, but again LOTS" of money.

Hope you enjoy your ULTREX, good motor. Have fun rigging and getting things set up !!!
I had that ‘click’ happen to me twice last year because I was having so much fun and I lost track of time.
At that point I fire up my Suzuki kicker and set it at high idle.
By the time I have spent ten minutes or so cleaning everything up and getting ready to head in my big motor battery is charged enough to fire up the big motor.
My Suzuki is my ‘get home’ insurance.
(12-09-2021, 12:00 AM)Therapist Wrote: You might want to look at direct wiring your motor and batteries with a 35amp breaker on both leads.  Will negate any problems that you have with the plug shorting and loosening.  Be sure that you have at least 35amp breakers wired into the system.  For charging,  go to Wally World and get a Shauer(sp) 8volt battery charger.  It is a smart charger and will do just fine for your starter battery.  Just hook up your 2 bank charger to your trolling batteries and the other one to your starter battery.  It will charge your battery and then switch to maintain mode.

Batteries are a big question these days.  IF you have the money,  Lithium are the way to go.  More power, less weight, and they last forever( not really).  You are looking at $1500 plus for two.  Otherwise the AGM route is by far the way to go.  You also need to think about power for your electronics.  Most guys today have at least two depth finders on the boat, sometimes 3 or 4.  Those things really use the juice and can run your main battery out during a days fishing.  Make sure your starter battery is in good condition and that it has the  amperage to run your electronics and still start your big motor.  Nothing worse than after a days fishing to sit down and turn the key on the big motor and have the starter go "click" no juice.  Again, a lithium starter battery will pretty much eliminate those problems,  but again LOTS" of money.

Hope you enjoy your ULTREX,  good motor.  Have fun rigging and getting things set up !!!

Awesome information. I think I'll go with AGM batteries as I have a few months to get the cash together. Also looking for a 2 bank charger for these batteries. Thanks again! I don't fish a lot but I'm retiring in 1 year and want to get a good set-up before then.