Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Willard Sneak Attack 12-7-21 (WITH VIDEO)
I shared Willard yesterday with the “Deadly Duo”  (WH2 and Wiperslayer).  Only I didn’t know it and neither did they.  I hadn’t warned them because I only decided to go at the last minute Monday night.  Might say it was a sneak attack…on Pearl Harbor Day.

They launched out of the north marina.  I went back to the south marina, since it is more tuber friendly than boat friendly.  Got launched about 7:30.  Air temp 32 and water temp 37…warming to 40 by 1 pm departure.  Light breezes to flat calm off and on all day.

[Image: REPORT.jpg]

Like “W & W”, I did poorly until after 10 am.  Got a few light bites and “pop ‘n drops” at different spots…but nothing stuck.  I was beginning to think I was gonna get “bombed” on Pearl Harbor day.  I did see a column of black smoke coming up from on the other side of the NW corner of the lake.  And heard shots from a few quacker whackers in the marsh.  But I never got strafed by a bunch of planes.

[Image: PEARL-HARBOR.jpg]

Then…just before I was ready to bag it and admit to a rare skunking…I went bendo on my first catfish.  Chunky two footer.  Kissed and released.  Well, not really kissed.  I got my standards too…even if they ain’t very high.

[Image: 2-FOOTER.jpg]

Shortly afterward, I scored my first perch.  Made me think it might just be a later bite.  And it was.  For the next couple of hours I caught fish at least sporadically.  Never a flurry, but I did score another cat and 4 more perch.  And I was never able to find any kind of school or concentration on sonar.

[Image: CALM-CATTIN.jpg]

Tiger pattern fligs worked best for me today.  Got fish on both a pink and an orange tiger flig.  Had hits on other colors, but no solid hookups.  And, unlike W & W I only got fish in 10 feet of water.  I fished all depths…from 7 feet out to 11 feet.  But didn’t hook any fish in less than 10’.

[Image: PINK.jpg] [Image: ORANGE.jpg]  [Image: KEEN-13.jpg]  [Image: ORANGE-TIGER-KITTY.jpg]

Part of my reason for a last minute decision to hit Willard was the upcoming weather forecast.  Based upon past experience I’m guessing that with the super low temps projected, Willard is going to cap (with ice) soon.  Don’t have a big enough auger to get my tube on the ice so I may be done for the year.

[Image: DINNER.jpg]

LINK TO VIDEO
Yes sir Pat that looks like successful fishing. Not much on your TV but the fish are good sized and played a good game.
It's now ok for winter to begin !!
Thanks Pat, I like those videos, lots of fun to watch... Nice catch too... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
Great report and video Pat, looks like great minds think alike, at least as far as getting out there before the storm comes in. I saw a boat in your video, did they launch from the South marina? We saw that thick black smoke as well, Ira thought maybe they were burning the bull rushes or some other invasive plants.
(12-09-2021, 03:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and video Pat, looks like great minds think alike, at least as far as getting out there before the storm comes in. I saw a boat in your video, did they launch from the South marina? We saw that thick black smoke as well, Ira thought maybe they were burning the bull rushes or some other invasive plants.

I didn't see him launch but just noticed him moving slowly out and vertical jigging.  His truck and boat trailer were the only ones in the parking area...besides my car.  There is 2' of water off the end of the ramp so if his boat is a shallow draft rig it could work.  But I'll bet he used his electric to move around until he got to the channel.
(12-09-2021, 12:45 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 03:57 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Great report and video Pat, looks like great minds think alike, at least as far as getting out there before the storm comes in. I saw a boat in your video, did they launch from the South marina? We saw that thick black smoke as well, Ira thought maybe they were burning the bull rushes or some other invasive plants.

I didn't see him launch but just noticed him moving slowly out and vertical jigging.  His truck and boat trailer were the only ones in the parking area...besides my car.  There is 2' of water off the end of the ramp so if his boat is a shallow draft rig it could work.  But I'll bet he used his electric to move around until he got to the channel.

OK, thanks. I was just curious if anyone in a boat was attempting to launch from the south end. Was it anyone you knew?
If you want to get your tube on the ice I suppose I could break out a couple chain saws but you got to explain  to the DWR officer when he breaks out the tape to measure the size.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-09-2021, 03:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: If you want to get your tube on the ice I suppose I could break out a couple chain saws but you got to explain  to the DWR officer when he breaks out the tape to measure the size.

Thanks for the generous offer.  But I prefer trips in which I don't gotta do no 'splainin' to a nice officer.  'Cause ifn the 'scuse I use ain't good 'nuff the ticket will cut into my tackle budget too much.  So I will just stay home and cry a lot through the winter.  But I'll be ready to hit the soft water when it returns in the spring.  That is, if we have any water left in our poor depleted lakes. 

Haven't seen anything from you and your crew lately.  Whazzup?
(12-09-2021, 04:04 PM)TubeDude Wrote:
(12-09-2021, 03:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: If you want to get your tube on the ice I suppose I could break out a couple chain saws but you got to explain  to the DWR officer when he breaks out the tape to measure the size.

Thanks for the generous offer.  But I prefer trips in which I don't gotta do no 'splainin' to a nice officer.  'Cause ifn the 'scuse I use ain't good 'nuff the ticket will cut into my tackle budget too much.  So I will just stay home and cry a lot through the winter.  But I'll be ready to hit the soft water when it returns in the spring.  That is, if we have any water left in our poor depleted lakes. 

Haven't seen anything from you and your crew lately.  Whazzup?

Not fishing nearly nuff that's for sure.  We had a run in with everyones favorite friend - covid. Mild for us but still canceled 10 days of b-utiful fall fishing weather. Plus lingering effects have had us a bit less energetic than normal. That coupled with hosting our little Italian exchange student, who sings in chior and the school play plus is on the swim team has had us hopping around a bit. 

Like to tell you it will all settle down quick and i will be back on a regular fishing schedule - but alas I just agreed to teach engineering, manufacturing and construction management at my old high school. So my retirement was rather short lived. Always loved teaching- could not resist a chance at my old haunt.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
Are these jigs the ones that you make and if so were can they be purchased.
Nice report and video Pat. I gotta get out more. I did sneak away for an hour and a half on Deer creek from the bank. No fish were harmed in my efforts, but  I did manage a few curiuos bites on my black maribou jig that felt walleye like or perch like. Just worked a drop off on a rocky point. Maybe my reflexes were just a bit rusty.
Gabe
(12-10-2021, 01:16 AM)crestliner3636 Wrote: Are these jigs the ones that you make and if so were can they be purchased.
Yes, I make the "fligs" (floating jigs).  I don't have a big commercial operation but I do exchange a few for a reasonable amount.  I work cheap and I'm worth it. 

The fligs I use most this time of year...along with the "W & W guys"...are the tailed fligs...fished slowly with a piece of chub meat or crawler.  I am attaching a couple of PDF files for your light reading.  PM me if you would like to visit my playroom and look over my stash. 

Attached Files
.pdf   FISHING FLIGS.pdf (Size: 2.11 MB / Downloads: 5)
.pdf   COLORS - TAILED FLIGS.pdf (Size: 2.49 MB / Downloads: 2)
Yes, I make the "fligs" (floating jigs). I don't have a big commercial operation but I do exchange a few for a reasonable amount. I work cheap and I'm worth it.

I agree well worth the price, and the information given freely.