Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scofield ice?
My fishing partner is otherwise occupied until New Year's Day. I'm really starting to jones for a place I can fish by myself. I only live an hour from Scofield and could fish off the docks if I have to. Otherwise I would need a partner (hint, hint) or fish near others for the safety factor. Does anybody know how thick the ice is at Scofield? If anyone goes up during or after this cold snap I would appreciate knowing how it's going. Or any other spots, for that matter. Thanks in advance.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

(12-10-2021, 11:19 PM)catchinon Wrote: My fishing partner is otherwise occupied until New Year's Day. I'm really starting to jones for a place I can fish by myself. I only live an hour from Scofield and could fish off the docks if I have to. Otherwise I would need a partner (hint, hint) or fish near others for the safety factor. Does anybody know how thick the ice is at Scofield? If anyone goes up during or after this cold snap I would appreciate knowing how it's going. Or any other spots, for that matter. Thanks in advance.

Sorry I can't make it, but hopefully we'll find some cow elk tomorrow and be free the rest of the month.  I see the closest Sno-Tel site to our hunting area has 19" of snowpack, but we will be 1,000 feet lower...

Reports on FB indicate that Scofield dam arm has a small fishable area, with 1-3 inches reported over the rest of the lake.  With lows in the single digits and highs in the 20s to low 30s, it should be making some ice.  Not sure where the docks have been placed this year.  Also not sure how much snow they got right at the lake, but it may cause access and slush issues.  Surrounding Sno-Tel sites (at higher elevations):  Mammoth has 15" of snow, Payson Ranger Station has 11", White River and Indian Canyon each have 11" snowpack.

Good luck and be careful!

jack of all tackle, master of none
[Image: 20211126-075308.jpg]

Luckily I killed my cow the day after Thanksgiving so I'm free the rest of the winter! Just need to get in better shape to walk on the ice all day. Went to feed the chickens about 3pm and im still recovering!
Fritz, you made me laugh out loud for real when I recalled how when I was sick with dizziness I went to feed the chickens and asked my DIL to check on me in case I fell down. I was reeling all over the lawn like the worst drunk you've ever seen. I wasn't driving at that point in time but I also laugh when I think about doing a field sobriety test. Oh, by the way, you don't have to walk all day. Just bring a chair and a partner who can help you. Wouldn't want you to go stir crazy (that's a joke because I know where you work). I'm glad you're at least up and moving; hope you have a quick recovery.
The older I get the more I would rather be considered a good man than a good fisherman.

Slowly I'm venturing further from the couch and bed each day little by little, its amazing the effects on your breathing this has
(12-11-2021, 03:16 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Slowly I'm venturing further from the couch and bed each day little by little,  its amazing the effects on your breathing this has

I went out in the float tube post covid recovery. Kicking around Deer creek wasnt too bad, but hiking to the launch and back to the car really took alot out of me. It sucks not being able to breathe. Hang in there. You probably have two weeks to lower elevation lakes safe ice. Good luck and speedy recovery.
Gabe
Once the marinas at utah lake freezes ill be out there with my kikoman bucket shoulder to shoulder with all my fellow whitebass anglers yelling how many bucket you cash!?
[Image: 20200208-135724.jpg]
(12-10-2021, 11:19 PM)catchinon Wrote: My fishing partner is otherwise occupied until New Year's Day. I'm really starting to jones for a place I can fish by myself. I only live an hour from Scofield and could fish off the docks if I have to. Otherwise I would need a partner (hint, hint) or fish near others for the safety factor. Does anybody know how thick the ice is at Scofield? If anyone goes up during or after this cold snap I would appreciate knowing how it's going. Or any other spots, for that matter. Thanks in advance.

Hay Craig, hope we can get together on the ice at strawberry.  Be great for several people to spread out a little to find them.  
Like to go early before the snow, slush. Keep me in mind so we can get a group together.
Sure, Verdean. About when does Strawberry usually freeze up enough to get out on it?

Usually in January it's good. I'll keep watch.
(12-11-2021, 04:11 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Once the marinas at utah lake freezes ill be out there with my kikoman bucket shoulder to shoulder with all my fellow whitebass anglers yelling, how many bucket you cash!?
[Image: 20200208-135724.jpg]

hahahahah
Here are a few of my chosen for white bass.

[Image: 20211212-092752.jpg]
(12-11-2021, 04:17 PM)doitall5000 Wrote:

I drove over to scofio yesterday, there was 1" of ice... Still not quite safe enough. I'll bet by Wednesday it'll be golden.
Saw on you tube there is 4 inch solid ice just in front of the dam. Catching cuts. One week ago!!
So Saturday it should look like Walmart on black Friday out there! Perfect!

I went up on the Saturday the 11th.  Fished by the dam with about 8-10 other groups.  There was 4-5" of ice in a small section.  The rest of the lake was capped with thin ice.  I would guess it should have a lot of fishable ice by the weekend.