Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boat help!!
Now that the boat and motor are covered for winter I was wondering if anyone has a contact or recommendation to someone who can help me fix my boat up for spring. Its a 16' bass tracker pf16, aluminum boat I need the transom rebuilt, the boats been remodeled with new carpet and the front stick steer removed, I run a 20hp Honda 4 stroke on it and noticed the transom is rotted inside, seems anyone ive found won't work on aluminum boats like that so hopefully someone here knows someone who will. 
[Image: 20210505-174739.jpg]
(12-11-2021, 05:11 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: Now that the boat and motor are covered for winter I was wondering if anyone has a contact or recommendation to someone who can help me fix my boat up for spring. Its a 16' bass tracker pf16, aluminum boat I need the transom rebuilt, the boats been remodeled with new carpet and the front stick steer removed, I run a 20hp Honda 4 stroke on it and noticed the transom is rotted inside, seems anyone ive found won't work on aluminum boats like that so hopefully someone here knows someone who will. 

Tell us who you have contacted, so we don't suggest them to you. Have you called Lee's marina?
The only ones I've talked to was tooele rv as the do boat repairs, and a boat handyman in tooele said he could then decided he dosent have time.
Looking at your picture I can't tell what's the problem. Can you add a picture or be more descriptive
It seems the previous owner/owners had things mounted to the back of the boat and also over tightened the clamps on the outboard and caused some holes in the aluminum allowing water in and rotting the wood inside the transom id like it stripped and the wood replaced and the aluminum either patched and repaired or completely replaced. Its still usable I used the boat probably 15 or so times this year I just pull the motor off for transport and put a piece of osb along the back when I'm on the water to distribute the pressure from the outboard during full throttle.
With inflation of materials and labor the way it is now, your repair may cost more than what the boat is worth, to be honest. You can probably find another used boat of the same size for a few hundred bucks. That would be on the very low side of a transom replacement.
You probably won't like what I will say, but honestly for a john boat the labor needed to make this repair and the welding, marine plywood, etc. would be more than just buying a new hull. Most boat repair people won't touch rotted wood within the transom. My dad's 16' aluminum, Deep V had this issue from sitting covered for 10 years in Michigan. I ended up doing the job myself. I had to get 3/4" no-void, marine plywood and laminate two sheets together. I made a template of the transom out of cardboard then used that as a pattern for the plywood. I then carefully removed the entire rotted wood core transom and replace it. I used marine glue and stainless bolts in the original holes. It took a while, but it came out great. I sold the boat years ago and then the guy who I sold it to resold it years later. The boat/transom are still running great since I see the boat a few times/year. If you don't do the work yourself, you are going to be into the labor bill for thousands alone. Buy a new hull and use your old motor and trailer.
Well with all this info maybe ill just work on it myself and remove the bad parts and maybe use jb weld marine to fill the old holes and stainless bolts to reattach it when I'm done since I won't be able to weld the aluminum
Fritz,
Once you pull the top cap try to salvage the old transom wood for a template, then do what BLFG did for the replacement.
On some transom replacements a chainsaw is needed to remove the old wood, that is why a lot of boat shops won’t touch this particular transom repair.
The wood in your transom is probably from the years the Feds banned the use of the good waterproofing used to treat plywood used for transoms.
You and a lot of Lund owners are in the same predicament.
Lund will sometimes subsidize the cost of this repair.
Have you contacted Tracker to see if they will?
I havent is there a good tracker boats repair shop in utah somewhere? I love the boat 90% of my fishing is shallow water catfishing at utah lake so a aluminum flatbottom is perfect, me and my neighbor built a bow mount trolling motor plate for it I need to install and I want to build a rod holder rack I can remove that attaches to the front of the boat somehow and use the big cat rod holders to screw into it. I bought a nice Honda 20hp long shaft tiller for it and want to find a good fish finder to find some deeper holes out in the ole mud hole.
(12-11-2021, 08:24 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I havent is there a good tracker boats repair shop in utah somewhere? I love the boat 90% of my fishing is shallow water catfishing at utah lake so a aluminum flatbottom is perfect, me and my neighbor built a bow mount trolling motor plate for it I need to install and I want to build a rod holder rack I can remove that attaches to the front of the boat somehow and use the big cat rod holders to screw into it. I bought a nice Honda 20hp long shaft tiller for it and want to find a good fish finder to find some deeper holes out in the ole mud hole.

I think Rocky bought his Tracker from Dick's but I have no idea if they have a repair shop that would take on a project like that, how old did you say it was?
I think its a 1990 or so, its actually in good shape 0 leaks all the electrical stuff works, all new carpet, just wish the transom was in better shape
(12-11-2021, 08:39 PM)Fritzfishin Wrote: I think its a 1990 or so, its actually in good shape 0 leaks all the electrical stuff works, all new carpet, just wish the transom was in better shape

You never know but I doubt Tracker would subsidize a repair for a boat that old but it sure never hurts to call them and ask. A lot of Trackers from that time had the same issue.
I bought my Tracker from Fred's Marine in Layton, who are a full-line Tracker dealer. It wouldn't hurt to ask.
(12-12-2021, 12:44 AM)RockyRaab2 Wrote: I bought my Tracker from Fred's  Marine in Layton, who are a full-line Tracker dealer. It wouldn't hurt to ask.

I texted them today they want it in there shop to get me a bid
Try Kilts Marine & Fiberglass Repair in Ogden, I don't know if they work on Aluminum, but I do know they do excellent work on Glass.
Chuck Harsin (Widowmaker Boats) in Ogden CAN do it, but it won't be cheap.  He builds/repairs all aluminum boats/airboats.  He's done several aluminum projects for me and his work is first class.

Widow Maker Boats
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
I googled this and came up this this

transom repair on 16' bass tracker pf16, aluminum boat

https://www.google.com/search?q=transom+...e&ie=UTF-8
From the Questions section:

How much to fix a wet transom? Repairing a transom is a laborious exercise that can range from $3,000 to $10,000 depending on the vessel size construction and tradesmen used for the task.
Well maybe in March ill bring the boat in the garage and just tackle it myself for a couple weekends, its wrapped up and outside right now so I can get my truck in for the winter.