Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Walleye on Ice?
Hey everyone,

Question, where could someone go to get some walleye action through the ice in Utah or Idaho? Looking to see if I can snag a few because they are such great eating.
Lakes for walleye are not frozen right now but when they do I think Starvation would be your best bet. Oakley, in Idaho would be a place to try but I doubt it is frozen either.
(12-17-2021, 03:19 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lakes for walleye are not frozen right now but when they do I think Starvation would be your best bet. Oakley, in Idaho would be a place to try but I doubt it is frozen either.

There were a few caught at Deer Creek last winter.
I want to go too!

(12-17-2021, 03:19 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Lakes for walleye are not frozen right now but when they do I think Starvation would be your best bet. Oakley, in Idaho would be a place to try but I doubt it is frozen either.

There were a few caught at Deer Creek last winter.
I want to go too!
Any of your normal haunts for walleye in open water will be places to look during ice up. HOWEVER !! Finding them during the ice season is the big problem. We have not been able to locate walleye under the ice on a consistent basis here for some reason. Not sure why ?? I have always said that the lack of live bait is one reason, but they ice a bunch of eye's in the Midwest w/o live bait. Not really sure why we are so unsuccessful here. Good luck when there is sufficient ice !!
(12-18-2021, 02:13 AM)Therapist Wrote: Any of your normal haunts for walleye in open water will be places to look during ice up.  HOWEVER !! Finding them during the ice season is the big problem.  We have not been able to locate walleye under the ice on a consistent basis here for some reason.  Not sure why ??  I have always said that the lack of live bait is one reason,  but they ice a bunch of eye's in the Midwest w/o live bait.  Not really sure why we are so unsuccessful here.  Good luck when there is sufficient ice !!

I have been successful at locating walleyes under the ice. Maybe I am just lucky. At Deer creek,  I have pursued them through the ice, and most times I have had success there. At Sulfur creek reservoir in Wyoming, I have had success there through the ice the two times I chased them there. Echo and Starvation have been stingy in my experience. I have heard they are deep in Starvation and I don't want to kill them unless I can eat them. Catching them deeper than my magical depth of 28 ft usually will kill fish caught from the deep water. I haven't tried fishing Oneida narrows in Idaho, but I have caught them there in open water. I have heard some scary stories there of ice having a big gap between the ice layer and the actual water level, so I haven't been too anxious to try there. I haven't tried finding them on Willard bay on the hard deck, nor at Yuba, or at the Bear river on the hard deck, or on Utah lake. So I am hoping that Deer creek freezes up this year, most years it does not and if it does it is usually only for a couple of weeks or so to access my spots there. I might venture over to Wyoming the week after Christmas to catch a few, just depends on getting stuff done for the business. Good luck on your quest.
Gabe
I seen some last year on my camera at Willard, but couldn't make them bite... They didn't hang around long either, so I didn't get a chance to try anything other than what I had on and they didn't like that. I think Walleye in Utah are so thin in numbers that it's really hard to find some and I usually never cross their paths so I don't fish with stuff that they would probably hit... so I'm pretty sure if I ever catch one, it will be on accident... But I'll probably say I knew what I was doing.... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!