Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Newton is a no go this weekend
Did some quick checking on ice and I don’t have a happy report. Tried my pond and spud went through in one poke. So being the intelligent guy that I am I tried it anyway. At first it held under cracks and sags, so I went out a little further and all at once I dropped right through clear to my knees and over my knee boots. Went to check Newton and it was worse the spud went through with no effort. It has a slush layer about an inch that hasn’t even froze all the way through it yet. Plus open water in some areas. No fishy this weekend, at least tomorrow. Later Jeff

[Image: 04156173-9515-4375-B4-E4-59805-FF3-D873.jpg]

[Image: C1-A42-C5-F-F4-AB-4801-A901-DD10-E4-FE849-B.jpg]
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!
(12-17-2021, 11:26 PM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Did some quick checking on ice and I don’t have a happy report. Tried my pond and spud went through in one poke. So being the intelligent guy that I am I tried it anyway. At first it held under cracks and sags, so I went out a little further and all at once I dropped right through clear to my knees and over my knee boots. Went to check Newton and it was worse the spud went through with no effort. It has a slush layer about an inch that hasn’t even froze all the way through it yet. Plus open water in some areas. No fishy this weekend, at least tomorrow. Later Jeff

[Image: 04156173-9515-4375-B4-E4-59805-FF3-D873.jpg]

[Image: C1-A42-C5-F-F4-AB-4801-A901-DD10-E4-FE849-B.jpg]

So are you saying that the ice is too thin to fish on? Smile
At least you gave it a try, maybe another week will make a difference, if these temp stay cold.
So your saying Newton is good... sweet!!! Ice fishing is like marriage... easier to just go and beg for forgiveness later.... wear a life jacket and just run out there
Guess I'm just too fat to fish on this thickness of ice... Need bigger feet to spread the load a little further... Yup ice is probably too thin to hold up even the skinny guys... I did the fat bob duties on my pond and I'm now sure it's too thin to skate... or fish if there were fish in there... I also don't like this snow freezing to ice, it acted like rotten spring ice not like good black solid ice that we're supposed to get this time of year... Hope things change so we get some good safe ice... Later Jeff
I think they changed at least for last night... Had 2 degrees here in Benson last night, currently sitting at a balmy 4 degrees... It should be building ice now!!!!!! Let's go frosty.... Later J
That ice is definitely growing today. Atleast you got your 1st dunking out of the way Jeff now it's all about the fish
Just got my rods rigged up to head to Newton on Thursday so hopefully it gets a little thicker by then, of not ill have to bring my concrete knee boards to walk on so my weight is more spread out but them bluegill ain't gonna catch themselves!
Thanks for the report. I thought about heading up there today, but went somewhere else with slightly more ice. It should be good in lots of places soon if the cold remains like it is.

jack of all tackle, master of none
Got out on the lake today. Ice was 3" total with some cloudy and some clear. Deepest we found was 20'. Never found any schools of fish just some loners. Fished from the boat ramp to the first bay straight west of the bathrooms. Bite was extremely slow only caught one crappie in four hours of fishing. Definitely check the ice as you go if you plan to get on it.
Did you see the fish suspended or tight to the bottom?
(12-20-2021, 01:15 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Did you see the fish suspended or tight to the bottom?
A couple crappie suspended about five feet off the bottom. And then a few marks glued to it
Matt I believe things have improved, my pond is up to 3” now and way more solid than before. If I wasn’t working tomorrow I think I’d go give it a try. Those cold temps really help things big time. I’ve been in low single digits the last 3 nights and it really helps the ice out a bunch. Hearing rumors of Mantua and Hyrum almost ready to go as well. Did anyone go through this weekend? Heard of lots trying the skinny ice. Hope no one got in trouble. Didn’t see anything on KSL so hopefully there weren’t any serious accidents. Later J
(12-20-2021, 01:46 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Matt I believe things have improved, my pond is up to 3” now and way more solid than before. If I wasn’t working tomorrow I think I’d go give it a try. Those cold temps really help things big time. I’ve been in low single digits the last 3 nights and it really helps the ice out a bunch. Hearing rumors of Mantua and Hyrum almost ready to go as well. Did anyone go through this weekend?  Heard of lots trying the skinny ice. Hope no one got in trouble. Didn’t see anything on KSL so hopefully there weren’t any serious accidents. Later J

Hyrum only has some ice, east of the swim beach in the cove toward the cliffs as of 11am today
Thanks Alan, another cold night last night should help tighten things up... Looking forward to some ice posts today and see how it was... Later Jeff
(12-20-2021, 01:41 AM)DjHill16 Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 01:15 AM)EyLayo Wrote: Did you see the fish suspended or tight to the bottom?
A couple crappie suspended about five feet off the bottom. And then a few marks glued to it

Thanks