Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No go on causey
Drove up to check the ice conditions today and there was no safe ice to be found. Both arms had open water around the inlets areas. Maybe another a week. 
[Image: 20211217-113614.jpg]
(12-18-2021, 01:09 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Drove up to check the ice conditions today and there was no safe ice to be found. Both arms had open water around the inlets areas. Maybe another a week. 

Thanks for getting up there and checking it out, it won't be long now. Cool If you had to guess, would you say it is about 70 to 80 ft low?
(12-18-2021, 01:29 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 01:09 AM)Muskyon46 Wrote: Drove up to check the ice conditions today and there was no safe ice to be found. Both arms had open water around the inlets areas. Maybe another a week. 

Thanks for getting up there and checking it out, it won't be long now. Cool If you had to guess, would you say it is about 70 to 80 ft low?

According to the BOR website, Causey is down 28' from full pool and it's 6' higher now than it was this time last year.
(12-18-2021, 01:42 AM)gofish435 Wrote:

According to the BOR website, Causey is down 28' from full pool and it's 6' higher now than it was this time last year.
I was fishing it last year on Dec 21 and I can tell you it is much lower than it was last year at this time, I guess it could be 28 vertical feet low but that would really surprise me. I wonder how they came up with estimate Undecided
Thanks for the report Matt, heard lots of tales of no good ice anywhere our scouts were out looking for a place to cut a hole... Guess we should go to Bear Lake and chase whitefish.... Except for the getting ready for Christmas thing... Good luck everyone and be careful... It's cold tonight so it will be a little thicker by morning, but I don't think it will grow enough to make it safe... Later Jeff
When things get stressful think I'll go fish'en and worry about it tomorrow!

I would give it atleast 50ft curt. Lower than it was 2 years ago when I got on the ice there this same week

(12-18-2021, 05:00 AM)SkunkedAgain Wrote: Thanks for the report Matt, heard lots of tales of no good ice anywhere our scouts were out looking for a place to cut a hole... Guess we should go to Bear Lake and chase whitefish.... Except for the getting ready for Christmas thing... Good luck everyone and be careful... It's cold tonight so it will be a little thicker by morning, but I don't think it will grow enough to make it safe... Later Jeff

We'll be getting on some good ice soon. Was supposed to take the wife and daughter to little creek today but they chickened out. Said it was to cold today.  Hmmm.... maybe I should head up there myself. ?
(12-18-2021, 01:55 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was fishing it last year on Dec 21 and I can tell you it is much lower than it was last year at this time, I guess it could be 28 vertical feet low but that would really surprise me. I wonder how they came up with estimate Undecided

Here is the link to the BOR site.  The level is not an estimate, it's from a level transmitter.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/hydrodata/...elevation/
(12-18-2021, 05:20 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 01:55 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: I was fishing it last year on Dec 21 and I can tell you it is much lower than it was last year at this time, I guess it could be 28 vertical feet low but that would really surprise me. I wonder how they came up with estimate Undecided

Here is the link to the BOR site.  The level is not an estimate, it's from a level transmitter.

https://www.usbr.gov/uc/water/hydrodata/...elevation/

Any idea how this transmitter works? Does it work off of pressure? Because I have never seen a float of any kind, in the water there or any
 type of marker on the side of the rocks so they would know the level. I just go by sight and how far I have to walk down the face of the dam to get on the ice.
(12-18-2021, 07:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Any idea how this transmitter works? Does it work off of pressure? Because I have never seen a float of any kind, in the water there or any type of marker on the side of the rocks so they would know the level. I just go by sight and how far I have to walk down the face of the dam to get on the ice.

I'm not sure what type is used at Causey but the transmitters are typically the bubbler type using pressure to determine level.  They are usually located inside the dam upstream from the outlet gate.
(12-18-2021, 08:34 PM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-18-2021, 07:03 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Any idea how this transmitter works? Does it work off of pressure? Because I have never seen a float of any kind, in the water there or any type of marker on the side of the rocks so they would know the level. I just go by sight and how far I have to walk down the face of the dam to get on the ice.

I'm not sure what type is used at Causey but the transmitters are typically the bubbler type using pressure to determine level.  They are usually located inside the dam upstream from the outlet gate.

That's interesting, is there any one I could contact to find out more details about how they measure the water levels at Causey?
(12-19-2021, 12:12 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

That's interesting, is there any one I could contact to find out more details about how they measure the water levels at Causey?

Here is a link to the BOR, you can ask them.  They are pretty good about responding to questions.

Contact Us - Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)
(12-19-2021, 01:17 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 12:12 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:

Here is a link to the BOR, you can ask them.  They are pretty good about responding to questions.

Contact Us - Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)
Thanks Here is some interesting info:
https://bigfishtackle.com/forum/showthre...id=1099776
(12-19-2021, 04:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Here is some conflicting info:

The map you attached shows Causey at 53% full on December 13th.

The BOR site shows 55% on December 17th.

I guess if you want to call a 2% difference a conflict you can. Big Grin  

Tea-Cup Diagrams | Water Operations | UC Region | Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)
I edited my reply to this posted just before you replied because I noticed you did not say it was 28 % from full pool but 28 ft from being full, sorry.
(12-19-2021, 04:43 AM)gofish435 Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 04:15 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Thanks Here is some conflicting info:

The map you attached shows Causey at 53% full on December 13th.

The BOR site shows 55% on December 17th.

I guess if you want to call a 2% difference a conflict you can. Big Grin  

Tea-Cup Diagrams | Water Operations | UC Region | Bureau of Reclamation (usbr.gov)
OR - just maybe - the reservoir is being filled and that's how much 4 days of filling will change the level.    Wink
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."