Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Echo update
Last night was good for Echo ice and its only about 18 degrees now so it ought to start putting some thickness on quick. Not to many days and i will see fritzfish on it with his floation device ( i will wait a few days, getting wet is why i shower). Same at Mantua

Its about to happen
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
The problem is, where do we go to access the ice at Echo? I know there is limited parking near the dam but if they are keeping the access area closed by the state park, then that will make it hard for lots of folks to access the ice.
(12-19-2021, 12:05 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The problem is, where do we go to access the ice at Echo? I know there is limited parking near the dam but if they are keeping the access area closed by the state park, then that will make it hard for lots of folks to access the ice.

I talked to the main state park office. It may be open to access only during the holidays, while no work is being done. That is what someone with last name Bradshaw emailed me. He wasn't sure if it would be open even then. Hiking down from the pullouts is a joke.
Gabe
(12-19-2021, 01:54 AM)Freakyfisherman Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 12:05 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: The problem is, where do we go to access the ice at Echo? I know there is limited parking near the dam but if they are keeping the access area closed by the state park, then that will make it hard for lots of folks to access the ice.

I talked to the main state park office. It may be open to access only during the holidays, while no work is being done. That is what someone with last name Bradshaw emailed me. He wasn't sure if it would be open even then. Hiking down from the pullouts is a joke.
Gabe

Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad
(12-19-2021, 04:25 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad
My question is this - will the park allow launching of snowmobiles/snowdogs/quads from the Dry Hollow Campground?  It will be open every day from 6 AM until 10 PM and one would assume the parking area will be plowed all winter long.  Agreed that it will be a long hike for folks walking and pulling a sled to get to fishable areas.  Not so much for machine users if the park allows us to launch machines from there.  Did you by any chance ask them about that?
Bob Hicks, from Utah
I'm 81 years young and going as hard as I can for as long as I can.
"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms."
(12-19-2021, 02:44 PM)dubob Wrote:
(12-19-2021, 04:25 AM)wiperhunter2 Wrote: Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad
My question is this - will the park allow launching of snowmobiles/snowdogs/quads from the Dry Hollow Campground?  It will be open every day from 6 AM until 10 PM and one would assume the parking area will be plowed all winter long.  Agreed that it will be a long hike for folks walking and pulling a sled to get to fishable areas.  Not so much for machine users if the park allows us to launch machines from there.  Did you by any chance ask them about that?

Yes I did and he said it was OK but when I went over there at the end of last month, I talked to the camp ground host and he did not know anything about that and the road they have for driving down to the lake was blocked with cones. He said he would remove them if Bradshaw told him to but the other issue is the is limited room for parking there.
My plan for Echo is simple. What I can fit in my little back pack and my little hand drill. Jump over the rock near the dam and do a "Paul" Lost Creek type hike to a couple spots. I will wave at Dubob as he flys by me on his dog sled. Depending  on snow depth there is a bit of parking just below the dam on the rail line. Its a plan. Never said it was a good one and I may only try it once before I head to easier access but I got to try Echo while it is this low.
Remember: keep the lid on the worms, share your jerky, and stop by to say hi to Cookie and the Cowboy-Pirate crew
(12-18-2021, 10:24 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: Last night was good for Echo ice and its only about 18 degrees now so it ought to start putting some thickness on quick. Not to many days and i will see fritzfish on it with his floation device ( i will wait a few days, getting wet is why i shower). Same at Mantua

Its about to happen

I would but I think im going to Newton on Thursday! Gotta get me a largemouth and possibly crappie for the contest and that's the best place I know of for it
(12-19-2021, 04:30 PM)Cowboypirate Wrote: My plan for Echo is simple. What I can fit in my little back pack and my little hand drill. Jump over the rock near the dam and do a "Paul" Lost Creek type hike to a couple spots. I will wave at Dubob as he flys by me on his dog sled. Depending  on snow depth there is a bit of parking just below the dam on the rail line. Its a plan. Never said it was a good one and I may only try it once before I head to easier access but I got to try Echo while it is this low.

Have you seen the fishing chair that Clam makes? Rod holder, chair, and backpack all in one. Has a few pockets for some tackle and snacks too. Not practical for a lot of situations. But, I’ve found it useful for quick light trips, or if I’m going somewhere where a sled is burdensome. Like rock hopping down a bunch of boulders.
I have this and absolutely love it, I still carry a bucket to sit on and my auger but I'm a big fan of this backpack as I'm always moving it seems like
[Image: Screenshot-20211219-150712-Chrome.jpg]
Come on guys i already put in my Sants list with Mrs Claus. Now ya gota be getting me in trouble with Cookie when I add my own stuff under the tree.

These look sweet
(12-19-2021, 02:44 PM)dubob Wrote:

I got this back from eric bradshaw when I sent him an email:
"Yes, that is correct we will allow people to use the campground to park and unload snowmobiles/four wheelers/snow dogs and access the ice. A day use fee or annual pass will be required. "
Thanks for making the contact. I would think the ice is set, should be solid soon.
I'm ready to take my wheeler when the good news comes. How much snow is on the ground?
Fishermen or women (did not check that close) are on the ice at Echo today.  I dont have time to check ice conditions, so can't say what thickness they ventured out on.
"Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad "

Wasn't it you who once advised me that one key to catching fish is to get away from the crowds?  Wink
(12-21-2021, 07:31 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad "

Wasn't it you who once advised me that one key to catching fish is to get away from the crowds?  Wink

Without the access we had the last number of years, that should not be a problem at Echo this year, I guess we will see but I don't see there being nearly the number of people there this Winter.
(12-21-2021, 07:48 PM)wiperhunter2 Wrote:
(12-21-2021, 07:31 PM)Springbuck1 Wrote: "Yea, Bradshaw is the Echo park manager. I've contacted him twice and he told me it won't be open until next Spring but he did say the  new campground to the East of the marina would be open. Problem is, it is about 1/4 to 1/2 miles to the water or ice. Sad "

Without the access we had the last number of years, that should not be a problem at Echo this year, I guess we will see but I don't see there being nearly the number of people there this Winter.

That's a plus for me!
"Echo State Park's north entrance is now open due to no active construction during the holidays. Construction is expected to resume January 10th, 2022 and the north entrance will close again (weather depending).
No public access in the construction area as noted on the map. Ramp is closed: no parking, driving on, or driving over the ramp. Driving and parking on the beach is allowed, driving on the beach is at your own risk. All no access areas are marked with cones and caution tape.
After January 10th, 2022 we will allow day use at the campground. Visitors can off load snowmobiles, four wheelers, and snow dogs to travel on the beach and access the ice.
Ice is just over 4 inches thick, clear with some standing water on top. Snow is expected tonight so anglers should expect snow and slush on top of the ice.
Ice should never be considered safe, use caution when going out on the ice for more information click here https://stateparks.utah.gov/activities/b...ce-safety/"
Thanks for the update Kent, where did you find this info?
I went to Echo today. Parked next to ramp and walked to the other side of the reservoir. Ice is 4 inches thick. One or to large cracks in the ice sheet, but avoidable. Caught two 'bows in 14-20' on tiny jigs (pics below) and my buddy caught a 'bow and 2 perch. The perch were on the bottom. We were getting in the car just as the blizzard hit. Craziest snow I've ever driven in. All in all, a good daySmile
[Image: PXL-20211227-202706024.jpg]
Be boundless,
Bryce (Fisheries and Aquatic Science, USU)